Page 79 of 129 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1921
    Astonishing Member

Superman actually did decisively beat Batman in DKR. But somehow the story has created this mythology among people who didn't read it that Batman just beat him up. Like for some reason it always has to be explicitly clarified what really happened.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Superman actually did decisively beat Batman in DKR. But somehow the story has created this mythology among people who didn't read it that Batman just beat him up. Like for some reason it always has to be explicitly clarified what really happened.
    Yeah, I never got the impression that Batman decisively beat Superman. Superman suffered a blast from a nuclear missile almost point blank and Batman used that as an advantage to attack Superman with six hunter missiles, an attack from the Bat-tank, focused sonic boom, electrocution, acid splashed on his face, and finally topped off with a Kryptonite arrow from Green Arrow. While all of that was happening, Superman thought to himself "Bruce, this is idiotic. You're just bone and meat like all the rest" while ripping off Batman's helmet like aluminum foil and breaking three of Batman's ribs with a slight side arm attack. Superman could have won that fight at any time but he didn't want to.

Fantastic Member

It got to the point that Batman deliberately set it up so he would 'die' in the battle. He knew all along he was going to lose eventually, he just wanted to get a few good hits in before he went... which is pretty much what happened. 'The one man who beat you' was Bruce smacking Superman around briefly then 'dying' and finishing the fight on his terms before Clark actually got angry and took him apart.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I look at it as who accomplished their mission. Superman was supposed to stop Batman. If it was basketball, Superman got dunked on repeatedly. Batman saved Gotham, evaded capture, slapped Clark around, and continued his mission. Granted, Superman could have said the jig was up and brought Batman in at the funeral. I just have no faith that Miller's Superman has that level of competency.

Plus, a nuclear bomb stops Superman? Since when, Golden Age Superman use to film them.

Astonishing Member

Obviously Batman succeeded in his overall goals in the story. But that's not what people talk about; they talk about how Batman just kicked Superman's ass. There was a rumbles thread comparing Superman and the X-men, and the Marvel fans are really under the impression that Batman just beat him up in DKR.

Astonishing Member

Well that's one interpretation. I thought Batman was just crazy and in denial.
    Nah, Batman knew the only way for it to end between him and the government was if he died. So he set the place where it all started, Crime Alley, to go out in the blaze of glory against the big blue boy scout.

Obviously Batman succeeded in his overall goals in the story. But that's not what people talk about; they talk about how Batman just kicked Superman's ass. There was a rumbles thread comparing Superman and the X-men, and the Marvel fans are really under the impression that Batman just beat him up in DKR.
    Both Batman and Superman were able to win. Superman didn't have to kill Batman and Batman was able to go under the radar to continue his mission on crime.

Amazing Member

To be fair, Nolan's Batman is only similar to Miller's in terms of plot, not so much in the actual interpretation of Batman.

Snyder seems to be going for unadulterated Miller worship though. Which means we'll see all the nutty fascist undertones, but none of Miller's visual storytelling skill (obviously since it's a different medium).
    Nolan's Batman imho is a lot more like Oneil's Batman than anything Miller wrote.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Fine View Post
    Nolan's Batman imho is a lot more like Oneil's Batman than anything Miller wrote.
    Batman: Year One was inspiration for Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Returns was inspiration for The Dark Knight Rises.

The Dark Knight Rises' first act of Batman getting back into the groove was like watching The Dark Knight Returns for me but Nolanized.

So Batman is definitely going to fight Superman in this movie. If that's the case they are going to make the DKR fight even more over the top now since this superman is a bit stronger than the one in Miller's story.
    Oh and they gave Wonder Woman a xena tier battle skirt nice

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo2113 View Post
    Batman: Year One was inspiration for Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Returns was inspiration for The Dark Knight Rises.
    Year One also drew from The Man Who Falls by O'Neil.

TDKR has elements of DKR, Knightfall, and No Man's Land.

Ultimate Member

I kind of think that if Batman and Superman do fight, that it'll be somewhat like the Thor/Iron Man fight from Avengers. Some people keep arguing that Thor got nerfed in that fight and my response is, not really:

-It took a 400% power boost for Iron Man to be able to fight Thor at all.
    -Thor was clearly holding back the whole time.
    -Iron Man got some good licks in, but they weren't doing any real damage (Thor didn't have a scratch on him). Meanwhile, Thor was taking Iron Man's armor apart piece by piece (crushing his arm gauntlet with his bare hands, leaving a big dent in Tony's helmet just by head-butting it, etc).
    -The fight got interrupted before a clear winner could be revealed.

I'm betting that this fight will be similar. Batman uses every trick in his book, his years of experience, and his tech, just to prevent himself from getting curbstomped. But at the end of it, Superman will be pretty much unscathed.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think that Miller's book is just so iconic, visually and thematically, how can Snyder not take huge chunks. Also with Thor and Iron Man, they make Iron Man rise up, they don't have him slap around Don Blake. With Superman they always take his powers, they make him play small ball. It's a ninja vs. the equipment manager for Smallville High. I do prefer how Siegel and Shuster had Kryptonians as evolved beings under a red sun.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I kind of think that if Batman and Superman do fight, that it'll be somewhat like the Thor/Iron Man fight from Avengers. Some people keep arguing that Thor got nerfed in that fight and my response is, not really:

-It took a 400% power boost for Iron Man to be able to fight Thor at all.
    -Thor was clearly holding back the whole time.
    -Iron Man got some good licks in, but they weren't doing any real damage (Thor didn't have a scratch on him). Meanwhile, Thor was taking Iron Man's armor apart piece by piece (crushing his arm gauntlet with his bare hands, leaving a big dent in Tony's helmet just by head-butting it, etc).
    -The fight got interrupted before a clear winner could be revealed.

I'm betting that this fight will be similar. Batman uses every trick in his book, his years of experience, and his tech, just to prevent himself from getting curbstomped. But at the end of it, Superman will be pretty much unscathed.
    But hes Batman. Batgod happens all the time.

Astonishing Member

Year One also drew from The Man Who Falls by O'Neil.

TDKR has elements of DKR, Knightfall, and No Man's Land.
    I knew about the latter but I didn't know about the former. I'll have to give that a read, I haven't cracked open the Secret Origins book yet. Thanks!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    So Batman is definitely going to fight Superman in this movie. If that's the case they are going to make the DKR fight even more over the top now since this superman is a bit stronger than the one in Miller's story.
    Oh and they gave Wonder Woman a xena tier battle skirt nice
    Military grade artillery seemed to knock Superman around pretty decently in Man of Steel. Nobody's really asked Snyder if Kryptonite will be introduced in this movie. Not that he would come out and say it but it would be interesting what his answer is. I'm expecting Batman to use the Batmobile as a missile against Superman at some point during their fight which should be pretty sick.