Page 8 of 129 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dhandler01 View Post
    Yup!

Not to mention, how many people even remember it or know who he was?
    You are probably right that not a lot of people in the GA knew who Thanos was when he popped up on the screen after the Avengers. However, I think there are going to be a lot of "Aha!" moments when he appears in future movies.

Anyway, back on topic. I think DC needs to start building up Darkseid as the main villain as soon as they can. Let the allegations of
    "Copycatting" be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by Hapless Henchman View Post
    It does kind of stink that DC/WB will get blamed for "copycatting" by the general audience if they use Darkseid, even though us comic book readers know who came first. But hey, they had a long time to get their act together and get a JL movie done and just could not do it (for whatever reason). Like the song says "It's nobody's fault but mine."

Having said that, I would not worry about it. They have to use Darkseid as "The Big Bad" in the JL movie(s).
    That's one reason why I would love to see Darkseid in the first Justice League movie. Just to see him face the League before Thanos faces the Avengers. Wouldn't want to see WB scrap any plans to use Darkseid because they are afraid of being accused of "copying" Thanos.
    Even if the JL repel Darkseid's initial invasion he could always come back with a bigger plan in a sequel. Plus they could include the gods of New Genesis in a potential Justice League 3. As I would love to see the White Martians in JL 2. Which would be a great way to introduce Martian Manhunter.

To me a Darkseid story seems rushed...he deserves more buildup than just the Superman/Batman movie. It just wreaks of Avengers because it will be an alien invasion that is repelled and then the big bad is shown to be behind it all leading into further movies. (one of the reasons I didnt love the Avengers as much as most) It would be cool from a comic book fan perspective but as a movie fan I would kinda feel like I have been there and done that ya know? The story has been aped and I personally dont want to pay $12 just to see it again even if I do prefer the DC characters.

Give me Death of Superman...have that lead into Darkseid if you want but do something different. Superman making the ultimate sacrifice to protect the world, even one that doesnt exactly trust him is a game changer and creates a realistic reason for the creation of the Justice League. No shadow organizations or faking fanboy deaths to get heroes to put aside their differences, just the heroic actions of Superman inspiring even the cynical Batman to work together to protect the Earth. (though that is rather copycatish of the Zod fight I guess hmmm) Have the end be a hint to Darkseid (perhaps show an Omega sign...have characters reference Apokolips throughout) and have the Phase 2 movies all be solo films with hints towards the coming Darkseid Attack. Then have one of the films have the final teaser scene at the end be a hinted revival of Superman (maybe even have Darkseid reference the world not having their kryptonian protector) with the conclusion being Superman and the Justice League saving Earth together.

I think if they go with the basic "Alien Invasion" story it will fall flat with audiences and will run the risk of being cliche and thought of as derivative. There is too much riding on this movie to risk it on a carbon copy story. They have said they are taking their own path and they should...they have thousands of stories to use that are different and they need to farm their archives for a great story. Superman/Batman needs to be the prequel to it while still being its own film and it just isnt enough on its own to do Darkseid any justice. (no pun intended)

Actually Superman/Batman would be a pretty cool lead in to a "Public Enemies" type story as well.

(sorry to be off topic Gael)

To me a Darkseid story seems rushed...he deserves more buildup than just the Superman/Batman movie. It just wreaks of Avengers because it will be an alien invasion that is repelled and then the big bad is shown to be behind it all leading into further movies. (one of the reasons I didnt love the Avengers as much as much as most)
    I do understand wanting to build up to Darkseid. But if they do a great job, then a brilliant story is still a brilliant story, even if a Darkseid invasion is teased in BvS's ending scene--and he becomes the first villain that unites the JL. That said, I also am concerned about yet another alien invasion storyline. Forget Avengers, MOS just did it. It's not the most original way to show a superhero story. And I'm also growing weary of towering cities getting destroyed by extraterrestrials in every summer blockbuster. Yet I do love the fx spectacle of it all.

I don't know, guess I'm looking for something a little different. They could make the BvS cliffhanger about Atlantis suddenly revealing itself and waging war against land dwellers, since humans are polluting the ocean, killing sea life and eventually destroying Atlantis. Maybe that's why Diana is in the story, Amazons know about Atlantis and the threat. Great way to introduce Aquaman too. Although they'd have to truly explain how Aquaman goes from foe to friend and joins the league. Not saying this plot is what I def want, but I would prefer a fresher storyline than alien invasion.

Edit: I suppose an Atlantean could've stolen Orin's throne because Orin wanted to negotiate a peaceful treaty with world governments vs killing off land dwellers. That gets Aquaman off the hook.
    Last edited by Top Carnivore; 05-06-2014 at 05:29 AM.
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

Yeah I don't know how they can do any kind of invasion storyline and not have it look exactly like Avengers.

I don't know. I think I would like to see a Superman that could inspire the formation of a Justice League by his actions in life rather than his death.

It would be nice if there were better stories to tell than the death of Superman. Besides, they tried to make the character too Jesus-y in MOS, I would hate to see how they would handle the death and return.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Carnivore View Post
    I don't know, guess I'm looking for something a little different. They could make the BvS cliffhanger about Atlantis suddenly revealing itself and waging war against land dwellers, since humans are polluting the ocean, killing sea life and eventually destroying Atlantis. Maybe that's why Diana is in the story, Amazons know about Atlantis and the threat. Great way to introduce Aquaman too. Although they'd have to truly explain how Aquaman goes from foe to friend and joins the league. Not saying this plot is what I def want, but I would prefer a fresher storyline than alien invasion.

Edit: I suppose an Atlantean could've stolen Orin's throne because Orin wanted to negotiate a peaceful treaty with world governments vs killing off land dwellers. That gets Aquaman off the hook.
    Maybe Orin is living on land for some reason...maybe he hasnt learned of his birthright yet or gave it up for some reason and chose to live on land. Have him and the heroes fight to stop Atlantis which facilitates the creation of the JL.

DOS is just a suggestion because I dont want another alien invasion. DC has thousands of stories why use the exact same story the Avengers did?

Yeah but most of the Justice League's best villains are alien or dimensional invaders. Starro, Darkseid, Despero, Mongol, the White Martians, etc. Even the Crime Syndicate are trying to take over our earth.
    The other option would be a Secret Society storyline. But the other League members haven't been established in the minds of the movie going public. Most people probably don't know who The Flash, Wonder Woman, and GL's arches are.
    So you'd have to have Grodd and co. just show up and say "hi I'm the Flash's rogue." Not only would you have to establish the heroes in this movie but their villains as well.
    Maybe AMAZO?

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Yeah but most of the Justice League's best villains are alien or dimensional invaders. Starro, Darkseid, Despero, Mongol, the White Martians, etc. Even the Crime Syndicate are trying to take over our earth.
    The other option would be a Secret Society storyline. But the other League members haven't been established in the minds of the movie going public. Most people probably don't know who The Flash, Wonder Woman, and GL's arches are.
    So you'd have to have Grodd and co. just show up and say "hi I'm the Flash's rogue." Not only would you have to establish the heroes in this movie but their villains as well.
    Maybe AMAZO?
    I think the "copying" Marvel concern is being overblown. There are ways you can do an "alien invasion" storyline and not be seen as copying Avengers. Heck, MOS was an alien invasion and no one said they copied Marvel in that case. I think it all depends on the execution.

For BM vs SM, I don't think it matters. The plot in that one I bet is going to revolve around Lex Luthor trying to destroy SM (politically and literally) with BM and WW saving SM in the end. The only question is if there will be someone else involved with Lex Luthor? That is where Darkseid could come in.

Maybe Orin is living on land for some reason...maybe he hasnt learned of his birthright yet or gave it up for some reason and chose to live on land. Have him and the heroes fight to stop Atlantis which facilitates the creation of the JL.

DOS is just a suggestion because I dont want another alien invasion. DC has thousands of stories why use the exact same story the Avengers did?
    That's an interesting idea too. I'm an Aquaman fan, but haven't read his book in ages and I keep forgetting he's half-human. But yeah, Atlantis attacking land dwellers with all their futuristic tech would be killer, if done right. Plus, we'd get Orin. Win, win.
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

I think the "copying" Marvel concern is being overblown. There are ways you can do an "alien invasion" storyline and not be seen as copying Avengers. Heck, MOS was an alien invasion and no one said they copied Marvel in that case. I think it all depends on the execution.

For BM vs SM, I don't think it matters. The plot in that one I bet is going to revolve around Lex Luthor trying to destroy SM (politically and literally) with BM and WW saving SM in the end. The only question is if there will be someone else involved with Lex Luthor? That is where Darkseid could come in.
    WB and Snyder obviously have different sensibilities than the Marvel people. Different ideas on storytelling. So it should be no problem making a Darkseid story different than a Thanos story, but only if they're able to properly depict what's unique about Darkseid. They won't be able to do that if they use the new 52 version of the character.

It isnt just Marvel, the alien invasion story has been done elsewhere too. It is just overdone. Seriously in the 75 years of DC we cant find something better?

Note: just because a story involves aliens doesnt mean it has to be the same. Mongul could probably be done different than the Avengers/Darkseid style invasion. So could Starro if you did it more as a "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" style story (perhaps hinted at in the Superman/Batman movie) and not "waves and waves of aliens attack Earth then their leader comes to fight as the Big Boss". Hell you could even do that a Darkseid story without the invasion have convert the world using the Anti-Life Equation making them all his mindless zombies.

Just do something different...

Man I cant wait to see how Lex screws with Clark in Superman/Batman

Ultimate Member

I'd imagine that he'll make a big deal out of that giant crater where downtown Metropolis used to be. A little media manipulation/playing to the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I'd imagine that he'll make a big deal out of that giant crater where downtown Metropolis used to be. A little media manipulation/playing to the crowd.
    oh absolutely. thats an easy one for Lex. he spends most of his day trying to make Superman look like an evil alien monster and himself the savior of humanity. Superman basically gift wrapped this one with the destruction caused in the fight with Zod. not to mention the destruction caused by the Kryptonian world engine.
    add to that Batman's extreme paranoia regarding anything he cant control. he probably had an aneurism seeing how powerful the Kryptonians are.
    Last edited by Robotman; 05-07-2014 at 12:35 AM.

Well to be fair I would have probably needed new pants after watching that fight

I seriously want Clark to smile in every scene with Batman including scenes with Bruce Wayne...I dont care why he is smiling I just want him too.