Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ranking Marvels Events!

Hey everyone! I'm certain a thread like this already exists, but I didn't see anything too similar in recent searches, so I thought I'd create this thread. As a long time DC reader, I've recently gotten into Marvel titles (primarily with Avengers VS X-Men acting as a gateway). With that said, I was wondering how people would rank the events of the last decade or so? I do not have too much experience with Marvel events, but I have read a few in the last while. So far, I would rank them as follows:

1. Avengers VS X-Men (I have to reread this, as it seems to be received poorly around here. Perhaps its the nostalgia factor and how it introduced me to Marvel, but I remember really enjoying it. Especially the tie-ins about K'un-Lun).

2. Civil War (This seems to be pretty divisive, but I enjoyed it. I didn't read too many tie-ins aside from ASM)

3. Siege (Once again, I didn't read too many tie-ins, but I thought it was self contained, albeit slightly too short).

4. World War Hulk (Enjoyable, but not incredibly memorable to me).

I am very excited to dig into Fear Itself, as I find the concept incredibly interesting, but I'm hesitant because the general consensus seems to be that the event is mediocre. Is that true? Are there people that love this event?

As for other events, I'm excited to read House of M, Infinity, and continue to read the current Secret Wars title. Axis and Original Sin seem to also be poorly reviewed, so you'll have to let me know if they're worth a read.

I can't wait to hear your opinions! And if you think any tie ins are necessary for any of these events, please let me know! I want to get the most out of these stories, and I feel Civil War, Siege and Fear Itself would have good tie ins, but I'm not sure what they would be.

There are all kinds of 'events' throughout Marvel's history. My favorites would probably be the smaller, more intimate 'events' that built up in one book and then panned out in another (or a few), like 'Korvac Saga' and the 'Kree Skrull War'. Both of those were mind blowing when I was a kid, and are still among my favorite stories today.

As for recent events, I think AXIS is probably my favorite. It wasn't all that well recieved on here, to my recollection, but I was loving everything about it. The Carnage, Avengers World and Hobgoblin tie-ins were def the hilights!
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Annihlation is the best event book in recent memory by a wide margin.

Fantastic Member

I also started with AvX. I find it bad, but the fight scenes were nice.

Original sin had a decent premise, but failed in execution. The tie-ins were different in this event, having to do with hidden secrets.

I loved Axis up until the inversion, then I think it fell apart.

I also enjoyed seige, but only read the main series.

I know Fear Itself is generally received poorly here, but I really enjoyed it. The premise intrigued me, and I thought it was good, though I didn't think the series fully captured the impact had on the world. For the ins, I've only read the x-men and iron man ones. One of the criticisms of this event was that there were too many tie ins. I enjoyed the two I read, and I would think the Thor/Journey into mystery tie ins would help flesh out the mythology of the villains.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    This is probably about the only crossover that will be almost unanimously positive, along with Annihilation:Conquest. Most of the others will be disliked by
    the majority of people who take time to post about them. Some here dislike crossovers on principle and are automatically going to expect not to like them.
    I personally enjoyed Secret Invasion. I was returning after not reading any comics for 25 years, and was just starting to get acclimated to the MU again, and
    it really drew me in. I really believe that events are more enjoyable to readers who are just beginning to understand who's who and how everything fits
    together. As readers acquire more knowledge, they seem to be less able to overlook inconsistencies and also notice little things they wouldn't have before,
    and become more jaded with everything they read. Then these unhappy souls come to a message board populated by like-minded people, and they feed off
    each other's negativity. If you want to know whether or not you might enjoy a crossover, I suggest you just read it and decide for yourself. There will always
    be people that will try to tell you why you're mistaken, and put the slightest doubt in your mind. Just enough to make you question yourself and mess up
    something you were happy about.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Annihilation (Everything an event should be)
    Annihilation: Conquest
    Infinity
    Siege
    World War Hulk
    Ultimate Galactus Trilogy

Original Sin
    Civil War
    Spider-Verse
    House of M

Secret Invasion
    Revolutionary War
    BotA
    Fear Itself
    Ultimatum (Loeb struck a hammerblow to the UU that it never recovered from with this.)

Currently reading The Infinity War omnibus and Secret Wars but wouldn't be able to rank them. If SW keeps it up though it could take top spot.

Gave AvX and AoU a miss just because they looks really bad.

Fantastic Member Talkie Toaster's Avatar

Top 5 for me:

1) Annihilation
    2) Annihilation: Conquest
    3) Dark Reign
    4) House of M
    5) World War Hulk
    Bah weep granah weep ninny bong

Messiah Complex
    Second Coming
    Civil War
    World War Hulk
    Annihilation
    Annihilation Conquest
    War of Kings
    Infinity
    X-Men - Utopia
    Messiah War
    House of M
    Fear Itself
    Secret Invasion
    Necrosha
    Siege
    AvX
    World War Hulks
    Schism
    Original Sin
    X-termination
    Battle of the Atom
    Age of Ultron
    AXIS
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 06-22-2015 at 05:10 AM.

This is very interesting! What in particular made Annihilation so memorable? Does it still hold up today if I chose to read it? And are there any tie ins that are crucial to the story?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by askyla View Post
    This is very interesting! What in particular made Annihilation so memorable? Does it still hold up today if I chose to read it? And are there any tie ins that are crucial to the story?
    I would definitely read everything that surrounds it. Especially everything written by DnA (Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning). Dave at comic book herald is doing a bang up job of reading orders in general for modern Marvel. Here is his modern Marvel Cosmic list:

http://www.comicbookherald.com/marve...reading-order/

Top Tier

Messiah Complex
    Infinity
    Annihilation
    Annihilation Conquest
    Messiah War
    Secret Wars (so far)

Mid Tier

Siege
    X-Men - Utopia
    Second Coming
    World War Hulk
    Civil War
    Spider-verse

Bottom Tier

Secret Invasion
    House of M
    AvX

Just Terrible

Fear Itself
    Original Sin
    AXIS

So bad it needs its own tier

Ultimatium
    Age of Ultron
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I'll second that.

Nu-Marvel's big events really don't do much for me. Civil War, Secret Invasion, Seige, Fear Itself (and that was the last one I bought. Nothing could have made me fork over money for ridiculous garbage such as AvsX, Original Sin, Axis, etc... Those are stunts, gimmicks, not stories), etc... are all appallingly flawed and terrible.
    I've found some of the smaller scale localized events more to my liking, such as Messiah Complex, Second Comming, War of Kings, Spider Island, etc...
    Mostly, DC's major events have been more to muy liking (though there is also quaite a lot of garbage over there).
    Still, I do think that the event mentality went a long way to ruining Marvel. For me, of course.

Peace

Mighty Member

Only ranking the ones I've read (and remember well) from the last 10 years:

Schism (not really an event, and that's why I like it. Character-driven story that shows sometimes there's a last straw)
    Avengers vs. X-Men (I'm honestly shocked, weird biases aside, how people don't think this is a well-told story)
    Messiah Complex
    Second Coming
    Original Sin
    Infinity
    Ends of the Earth
    Spider-Island
    Spider-Verse
    Siege
    Fall of the Hulks/World War Hulks
    Shadowland
    Axis
    Battle of the Atom
    Fear Itself
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Infinity Gauntlet
    Annihilation
    War of Kings
    Annihilation Conquest
    Civil War
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Secret Wars 2015 (so far)
    Annihilation
    Infinity Gauntlet
    Infinity