Astonishing Member

My favorites are

X-Tinction Agenda
    Inferno
    Mutant Massacre
    Operation Galactic Storm
    Civil War

Amazing Member

Are the fantastic four vs. from the 80s considered events? Good stories vs. Avengers, X-men and Mephisto. Annihilation is pretty much the best modern event by Marvel. Planet Hulk all the way to WWHulks kept my attention. Hulk vs Thing is always an event to me!

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

When it comes to these events, do most people include the tie-ins to the event as well?

I never bothered with the House of M tie-ins and trying to read every single tie-in from Infinity seemed more like a chore than deepening the story. Since I don't care about current run of comics anymore, I think I may go back and read all those tie-ins I missed. Starting with House of and going to Siege when Dark Reign ends.

Mighty Member

I recently got a hardcover format of the new Sceret Wars. The time between issues dampened it's impact, but reading it altogether, it is a truly beautiful story, a love letter/send off to the fantastic four, and a good message about not holding onto to things and not trying to control everything. My main issue with hickman is that it takes him too long to tell a story, but when you restrict him to a timeframe or a limited number of books he can really knock it out of the park.

Marvel is releasing a new hardcover collection of Avengers Time Runs Out in July. I'll be buying that and the 2015 Secret War hardcover at the same time. Looking at the LONG ASS LIST they have for the 2015 event, I'm pretty sure that's all I'll need.

You are supposed to disregard House of M because there is no House of M. Magneto and the Maximoffs are not considered to be related anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    You are supposed to disregard House of M because there is no House of M. Magneto and the Maximoffs are not considered to be related anymore.
    And yet they did a Secret Wars tie-in for House of M.

Canon is flexible and continuity doesn't matter! Until TPTB say it does.

Haha

If I'm reading the book month-to-month, I'll try and get the tie-ins that sound interesting but usually not all of them. I do think that has a lot to do with my enjoyment of an event series though. Reading it month-by-month can make a good story even more exciting or a bad story even worse. And for me, the tie-ins usually improve a story (I just won't get the ones I don't like). And past events that I've read in trades have lacked a lot of the context and tie-ins and that whole anticipation experience. I enjoyed House of M and Secret Invasion, but I read them years after they came out and without hunting down all of the tie-ins, so they just seem like one-off miniseries to me without any real implications, which I think makes me like them less than the more recent ones I've read month-to-month. They also just lack the feel of an event when in trade, so it's hard for me to compare.

Annihilation is my favorite by a large margin as well. It is a great story by Giffen on its own, but the prequels by Aabnett and Lanning really add to the story and set up their fantastic run on Nova which leads into Annihilation: Conquest that might be my second favorite which spins out their run on GOTG which was really enjoyable. The culmination at Thanos Imperative was a great way to wrap up that whole arc. War of Kings mixed in there was enjoyable as well. Whenever I want to read a nice long story, I will basically read through the whole Marvel Cosmic run from Annihilation to Thanos Imperative.

After that, books like Secret Wars (old and new), Infinity Gauntlet, Galactic Storm, Civil War, and Infinity are pretty interchangeable for me on where they rank. All have enjoyable moments.
    The Worlds Greatest Comic Magazine Review - Vol 1 (Issues 1-50) and Vol 2 (Issues 51-102)

I've been looking for a reasonably priced collection of Annihilation, but all of them are insanely overpriced and expensive. And no sign on the horizon of a reprint.

Can someone tell me why they thought Infinity was good? I read it and just couldn't get into it, am I missing something?

Anyways, Second Coming and AvX are ones that stick out to me to start with. Civil War was great until the abrupt ending and awkward OOC moments, same with Original Sin.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    I've been looking for a reasonably priced collection of Annihilation, but all of them are insanely overpriced and expensive. And no sign on the horizon of a reprint.
    Comixology is your friend. All three volumes of the OHC are available. $52 for the whole series. Sometimes there are sales, too (99 cents per issue, which would bring it to around $29).

As for my own list: as a rule, I really like crossovers and events. I'm currently in the process of re-reading Infinity in its entirety (main event, Avengers and New Avengers core issues, and all tie-ins). I just finished re-reading Second Coming, and will be reading Schism/Regenesis (including most tie-ins) and AvX (including at minimum all X-Men tie-ins; will see about Avengers tie-ins).

I'm also slowly working my way through the Road to Onslaught books, so it won't be long till I read Onslaught. I've not heard good things, but I'm withholding judgment until I get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Thenames9 View Post
    Can someone tell me why they thought Infinity was good? I read it and just couldn't get into it, am I missing something?

Anyways, Second Coming and AvX are ones that stick out to me to start with. Civil War was great until the abrupt ending and awkward OOC moments, same with Original Sin.
    I've read Infinity once, in one sitting with the TPB. With few exceptions (Slott's Mighty, Ewing's Mighty...)I haven't really enjoyed Avengers (once my favorite book) since Geoff Johns' short run. I liked Infinity. Didn't love it, but found it enjoyable enough. It's a well structured story, however, IMHO, it lacks heart, something essential for me to really dig a story. The small moments, the characterization bits, the human touches. I feel it doesn't have much of those. It is a huge, large-scale sci-fi epic, though. And I liked it for that. I never attempted to re-read it, though (something I usually do several times with stories I really like). Don't know if it'll hold up, or if I may like it better, or if it may bore me to tears. Might do it someday.

Liked Second Comming. Hated AvsX (and Civil War). Skipped Original Sin.

Peace

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Marvel is releasing a new hardcover collection of Avengers Time Runs Out in July. I'll be buying that and the 2015 Secret War hardcover at the same time. Looking at the LONG ASS LIST they have for the 2015 event, I'm pretty sure that's all I'll need.
    When's this getting released?

1. Civil War
    2. Infinity Gauntlet
    3. Avengers vs X-Men
    4. Infinity
    5. Fear Itself (I actually thought it was cool.. and I really enjoyed Deadpool's issues
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..