Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Why didn't Spidey ever join Heroes for Hire?

Anyone ever find it strange that Peter never even made an attempt to join Heroes for Hire? As strapped for cash as he always seemed to be back in the day wouldn't it have been the smart move considering how he was playing Jameson at the Bugle, his powers & skill set kinda complimented the whole private detective angle.

And before anyone goes on about it being out of character for Spidey remember that he pretty much just took advantage of Jonah for years and that I'm looking at this from a more practical perspective. We're talking about a legitimate job that both plays to his skills and would have provided some much needed income, not to mention allies & a regular schedule that wouldn't have always been conflicting with every aspect of life.

BANNED

It's one of those 'he's not perfect' moral situations. Yeah, the way he dealt with Jonah was shady, but Jonah was also an a**hole so Peter could better justify it in his mind. Now, sure, he could only hire out to a**holes but then he'd be a mercenary, and with someone who's a good person he'd feel bad about taking their money.

I could never picture Peter charging for his services.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Mighty Member

I think that's a line he just doesn't want to cross. The pictures were simply a by product. Jonah wanted pictures of Spider-Man, he provided them. They weren't the reason he did what he did nor where they a determining factor in his actions. They were bonus objectives. And he specifically said when he first provided them that the condition was they couldn't ask how he got the pictures.

The only time I'd say he was pushing it was when he was going out just to get pictures because he needed the money. Even then, though, that only caused him to neglect his other more personal responsibilities.

Because action is his reward, not money.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Because action is his reward, not money.
    Only wish he made that phrase as cool as it sounds.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Felicia Hardy would. Which is why she was his better half when it comes to money.

If Peter will not charge for his services, Felicia would take his place in that department.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 06-22-2015 at 03:40 AM.

Incredible Member

Actually Peter would very much charge for her services when you consider the reason he opted not to join the Fantastic 4 was because they didn't pay and he wouldn't work for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    Actually Peter would very much charge for her services when you consider the reason he opted not to join the Fantastic 4 was because they didn't pay and he wouldn't work for free.
    That was a 15 year old Kid desperately trying to live up to his self perceived responsibilities as "Man of the House". Very few people have everything figured out at that young an age.
    Life is the algorithm through which Goddess explores the infinite possibilities of Her own existence.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Spider View Post
    That was a 15 year old Kid desperately trying to live up to his self perceived responsibilities as "Man of the House". Very few people have everything figured out at that young an age.
    Again would have still been a legitimate job and at the end of the day money is money. It just kind of proves my point that him joining Heroes for Hire back in the day would have been a good idea on practicality alone.

I think Spidey generally being a loner and being burned by his experiences trying to join the FF and Avengers is a good enough reason as to why he never tried to join the Heroes for Hire.

I'm not even sure if Luke and Danny would've wanted him to join given how secretive and independent Spider-Man can be.

BANNED

Perhaps he didn't join because he thought it was beneath him as when he fought Cage after he was hired by Jameson to bring him in he berated him as being low and unworthy for hiring out as a mercenary so after that run in if he had ever had joined the Heroes for Hire he never could have faced Luke Cage.

Depends on what timeframe we're talking about. HFH existed (roughly) from Power Man/Iron Fist #50 to #125, circa 1977 - 1986. Despite the urban settings for both Spider-Man and PM/IF, editorial simply saw them as separate franchises. Combine that with the fact that during this time frame, Spidey could be framed by Jameson (or whoever) as being responsible for any number of crimes, so that would have been damaging to Heroes for Hire in getting certain types of jobs. Obviously, Luke would be sympathetic to anyone who was wrongly accused-- in any case, it just didn't happen.

The Heroes for Hire revival circa 1996 could have been interesting with Spidey in tow (I guess he could get paid with a debit card, to avoid his ID being outed), but I think Spidey was still in the midst of the Clone Saga and I doubt editorial would have allowed it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    ASM #1, Avengers #236...

Astonishing Member

Well.... If its Luke and Danny. I really doubt that he's ever be called upon to do anything that clashes with his ethical standards
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    It's one of those 'he's not perfect' moral situations. Yeah, the way he dealt with Jonah was shady, but Jonah was also an a**hole so Peter could better justify it in his mind. Now, sure, he could only hire out to a**holes but then he'd be a mercenary, and with someone who's a good person he'd feel bad about taking their money.