Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The New Marvel Universe: I'm not liking this.

From what I heard about the new MU, I am very concerned if it will be the Marvel we know and love. Instead I'm hearing political correctness for this "reboot". Oops I mean relaunch. Everything is rubbing me the wrong way. I'm about to get more DC comics for my superhero crave because they are trying to do some innovative things. They are not perfect, but they are learning. Marvel looks like they are being controlled by higher ups that want to kick out the old generation and go for the new MCU/Ultimate Spider-man generation. That pisses me off. Hell, Marvel is trying to do a half assed attempt for a young avengers with putting Kamala, Sam, and, Miles to the Avengers. Are the veterans so irresponsible that they would have CHILDREN on a response group team?! Also, I'm still mad the way they are treating the Nova Corps. Also, Iron Man being the mascot of Marvel….fat chance. Good luck dethroning Spidey. All because RDJ and his EGO.

The reason why I'm ranting is because i'm worried and concerned that what's left of 616 won't be as iconic in the new universe. I'm all up for chance and modernization. But, changing for the sake of change gets me frustrated. What get's me really upset is the race and gender changing. That really irritates me. I'll tell you what I don't like:

Sam Wilson as the New Captain America (Sam is not as fun as he was when he was Falcon)

Jane Foster as Thor (Don't care what anyone says…THERE IS ONLY ONE THOR AND HIS NAME IS ODINSON)

I feel like they are gonna race change and gender swap the old characters…. as a black man I ask this….WHY NOT CREATE NEW CHARACTERS?! HOW HARD IS IT TO PROMOTE.

Here's how to do it:

1. Create that character in a popular title to give him that attention (like Spider-man)

2. You announce a solo title for the character

3. You PROMOTE the character anywhere you can (Conventions, TV, Comic stores, etc)

4. Put a great writer of color or gender to that character. Hell even someone white would be good if they can understand the character and give them a mythology for them (AL EWING)

5. Get an A list artist to be on a title for each arc.

THERE: see how easy that was. I don't think what's so hard about this.

Wrapping up: Are you all afraid of the Marvel Universe not being the MU you know for 75 years. Do you agree with Marvel's PC changes or some of it's hate for certain characters and things not in the Universe?

Finding a destination in the infinite multiverse

Quote Originally Posted by Wandacrystal22 View Post

Jane Foster as Thor (Don't care what anyone says…THERE IS ONLY ONE THOR AND HIS NAME IS THOR ODINSON)
    Fixed that for ya

Mighty Member

Reading this reminds me of old comic complaint letters.

Especially the backseat driving in how to run a comic publication. I mean, I don't really care about your points, but it's amusing to see someone not in an industry tell people in an industry how to do things in their industry. Especially when those people currently have market share dominance.

Kinda like telling google how to make a search engine. I think they got it down.
    Last edited by ZephyrSurf; 06-22-2015 at 12:46 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post

Especially the backseat driving in how to run a comic publication. I mean, I don't really care about your points, but it's amusing to see someone not in an industry tell people in an industry how to do things in their industry. Especially when those people currently have market share dominance.

Kinda like telling google how to make a search engine. I think they got it down.
    He has some good points. Like, why would you put kids on an Avengers team? The fans input matters.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

How long have you been reading comics?

Because neither Jane nor Sam are new characters. Nor is the idea of someone other than Odinson being called Thor or someone other than Steve acting as Captain America a new idea.

Did BuckyCap bother you this much? John Walker? That guy that took Steve's alias of The Captain a couple years ago in Secret Avengers? Eric Masterson? Fake-Thor in Heroes Reborn?

Sam and Jane aren't new characters. Grandpa Steve and Odinson aren't new characters. When Hank Pym became Giant-Man, he wasn't a new character. When he became Wasp, he wasn't a new character.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike82 View Post
    He has some good points. Like, why would you put kids on an Avengers team? The fans input matters.
    He has points that you agree with. They're subjective opinions of himself backed with nothing tangible. Unless he's got surveys and empirical data, they're just his opinions on things, not proof of how Marvel should do things. Especially when they're in the black and dominating market share

BANNED

He has points that you agree with. They're subjective opinions of himself backed with nothing tangible. Unless he's got surveys and empirical data, they're just his opinions on things, not proof of how Marvel should do things. Especially when they're in the black and dominating market share
    This New Avengers team is much younger, meaning they are less experienced and more prone to making mistakes. This is not a mere opinion, but an observable fact. It doesn't make sense to set up such a young Avengers team, not when there are seasoned veterans out there.

Mighty Member

How do you even know who all are avengers? How do you even know what the avengers as a group status is post SW?

All we know is that this is currently avengers line up, we've no clue if it's all they have, we don't know if there are other avengers teams (which there will be cause there always have been since ages upon ages now)

And I'd damn well say at least Sam and Miles have been through ropes as big as vets have.

BANNED

How do you even know who all are avengers? How do you even know what the avengers as a group status is post SW?

All we know is that this is currently avengers line up, we've no clue if it's all they have, we don't know if there are other avengers teams (which there will be cause there always have been since ages upon ages now)

And I'd damn well say at least Sam and Miles have been through ropes as big as vets have.
    They're being advertised as the next Avengers team after SW.

I'm sure Sam and Miles have been through a lot, but they are still younger,and less experienced. Younger people are more prone to mistakes, more impulsive, etc.

BANNED

Been said a billion, billion times but to pile on the great big pile of obvious points:

This is a business based on serialized stories of established characters spanning decades. They have the options of 1. Keeping everything the same forever, in which case the public likely gets bored or shrinks to a small enough size that they go out of business or 2. they switch things up every now and again to keep things fresh and build demand for the original (absence makes the yada yada).

Right now we're in a "switch things up" phase for quite a few of Marvel's major brands. Kind of like DC in the early '90s. Gets mainstream media attention, boosts sales temporarily, maybe brings a few more temporary eyeballs on the product and a small percentage of those might go on to be regular customers. If you don't like what you're seeing in this era of Marvel, wait a few years. It's like the weather, it'll change back. And it'll change again. And so on, and so on, unless and until comics don't exist anymore.

Why did you post this? If you don't care for the ops points why feel the need to respond or intelligently debate?

Someone's unhappy with a radical series of moves by a company who continues to diss core fans?

BTW market share we can thank all that mainly on Star Wars, MCU and DCs ineptitude..for awhile it was waning...take the star wars out and the flubbed numbers aren't so sexy.

Nothing tangible? The roster was released and an issue was printed.

OP seems to itemize everything he dislikes and is quite clear..and personally I find his complaints justified.
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 06-22-2015 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Been said a billion, billion times but to pile on the great big pile of obvious points:

This is a business based on serialized stories of established characters spanning decades. They have the options of 1. Keeping everything the same forever, in which case the public likely gets bored or shrinks to a small enough size that they go out of business or 2. they switch things up every now and again to keep things fresh and build demand for the original (absence makes the yada yada).

Right now we're in a "switch things up" phase for quite a few of Marvel's major brands. Kind of like DC in the early '90s. Gets mainstream media attention, boosts sales temporarily, maybe brings a few more temporary eyeballs on the product and a small percentage of those might go on to be regular customers. If you don't like what you're seeing in this era of Marvel, wait a few years. It's like the weather, it'll change back. And it'll change again. And so on, and so on, unless and until comics don't exist anymore.
    Your right on a lot here, however , this current push is extremely radical, and it seems a bit much to replace nearly every big character out there with a replacement all at once.

It comes off as too gimmicky...and given Joe Quesada was especially brutal to DC during their own mid 2000s PC legacy spurt..its hypocritical as well.

BANNED

Joe Q liked ribbing the competition, in that he carried on Stan's legacy. And shock of shocks, a publishing company can be hypocritical. Doesn't change the fact that this sort of thing goes on all of the time. Constantly. Is it on an upswing at the moment? Sure, but it's on par with DC in the early '90s and despite fan b##ching a lot of good comics and concepts came out of that.

iMan 42s

These changes don't bother me. The stories do and will always be what comes first when it comes to serialized fiction. When people say "this isn't my version of _______" then I have to say sorry because this is someone's first introduction to them. In hindsight if they are bad stories then it is what it is but nobody in all new Marvel is by any means inferior to the original.

Thor is used as a title.
    Sam makes sense to take over as Captain America.
    Miguel was mixed heritage when he was in main continuity what's the issue with Miles?
    Nobody(writers) wanted to bring Richard Rider back but still wanted a Nova book.
    Ironman makes the most sense for Marketing purposes and it even suits the charaecter.

Changes happen.
    We may not like certain changes but nothing is ever set in stone when it comes to this business. Comics are an ever evolving medium and when it comes to something being permanent, well then have I got a bridge to sell you. This is not the same Marvel universe nor should it be. Progression happens, arcs happen, characters die or walk away and sometimes a new spin on something can be a good thing. This isn't the end of the world, something changing won't make the sky fall and if you really think certain changes will be the forever status quo then you really must be new aren't you?
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.