Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Actually, video games are one of the more economical forms of entertainment you can get... if you base value on time spent per dollar. i mean it varies from game to game, but some games can give you 500+ hours of entertainment for 50-60 dollars, assuming you pay full price (and many people don't) compare to 3-4 dollars for like 10 minutes if that for a comic.... I mean yeah you do have to get the computer or console as well, but even then...

Anyway. I gave my 11 year old niece a Ms Marvel TPB for Christmas, and she loves it and spends her allowance on new issues from Comixology. She has trouble reading because she is dyslexic, and has a lot of trouble with book-books right now, but I figured the comics, with how the page is divided up into panels, and the pictures to help her figure out what's being said based on context would help, and it did. But it's very unlikely that she would have discovered comics on her own, they just are not on kids radar these days because it is more difficult for them to be exposed to them. they are exposed to the characters, sure, Bri had seen the Avengers movie and stuff and liked that, but I don't think she realized the comics were out there. and then assuming they are exposed to it, it is a pretty expensive hobby their parents may not be keen to support beyond one, maybe 2 books a month. My sister and her husband support my niece's comics because it keeps her reading, it helps her, but if she wasn't dyslexic and the whole 'keep her reading' thing wasn't as big a concern? eh, maybe not. I would love it if there were more books for her to read, but it is a mostly adult market, for sure.
    Video games today are guilty of weak story and Dlc I'm forced to buy nowadays to complete the whole thing. Also most single player modes are lacking.

And that's just the mom and pop stores fault too for removing comics from the stores.

Quote Originally Posted by gwenFan View Post
    Video games today are guilty of weak story and Dlc I'm forced to buy nowadays to complete the whole thing. Also most single player modes are lacking.

And that's just the mom and pop stores fault too for removing comics from the stores.
    Completely irrelevant what your opinions are on the games, if you don' like them fine. but it doesn't change the fact that for people who do like them, (and you are a bit choosy about the games you buy to make sure you are getting a good one) it's not an expensive hobby, quite the contrary. And who cares about if the single player campaign is lacking if you are are after multiplayer, anyway? I like single player myself, mostly RPG's and adventure games (and there is no shortage of good games in those categories) but still, a lot of people don't really care about the single player aspects, so again, irrelevant for them.

and it is not the mom and pop shops fault, it is the entire distribution model that means comics rarely show up in grocery stores (though I do see them there sometimes). But even if it was overhauled, it is by no means a surefire way to fix things. Digital distribution has made comics far more accessible, but they still have primarily the same demographic reading them. It's opened it up a bit, I think digital has a larger percentage of female readers than paper, but still generally adults.
    Last edited by Raye; 06-24-2015 at 03:08 PM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Any hobby is an expensive hobby if you go at it certain ways.

Outside of heroin, there's not really a hobby you can't go thrifty on if you're inclined.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Completely irrelevant what your opinions are on the games, if you don' like them fine. but it doesn't change the fact that for people who do like them, (and you are a bit choosy about the games you buy to make sure you are getting a good one) it's not an expensive hobby, quite the contrary. And who cares about if the single player campaign is lacking if you are are after multiplayer, anyway? I like single player myself, mostly RPG's and adventure games (and there is no shortage of good games in those categories) but still, a lot of people don't really care about the single player aspects, so again, irrelevant for them.

and it is not the mom and pop shops fault, it is the entire distribution model that means comics rarely show up in grocery stores (though I do see them there sometimes). But even if it was overhauled, it is by no means a surefire way to fix things. Digital distribution has made comics far more accessible, but they still have primarily the same demographic reading them. It's opened it up a bit, I think digital has a larger percentage of female readers than paper, but still generally adults.
    Nothing is expensive to me if you manage your money. But comics are cheaper than Video games to this day, I'm not spending 50 to 80 dollars like a game costs on a console.

And most don't buy every book, so it's no big deal.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by gwenFan View Post
    Nothing is expensive to me if you manage your money. But comics are cheaper than Video games to this day, I'm not spending 50 to 80 dollars like a game costs on a console.

And most don't buy every book, so it's no big deal.

Just my opinion but anyone who is spending $60.00/full price for console games these days is a fool when you can wait 4-5 months & get that same game for $30.00-$40.00 & in the meantime work on some of those games they haven't beat or barely touched in their massive backlogs.

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Marvel is lazy, they see names like Captain America, Thor, Wolverine, and Nova and see those names as franchises and not individual characters. It's easier for them to just plop a new character in the outfit and namesake rather than spend the time and effort to create new characters that people will love or even give some love and rejuvenate characters that don't get enough love.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Vigilante View Post
    Marvel is lazy, they see names like Captain America, Thor, Wolverine, and Nova and see those names as franchises and not individual characters. It's easier for them to just plop a new character in the outfit and namesake rather than spend the time and effort to create new characters that people will love or even give some love and rejuvenate characters that don't get enough love.
    It's not laziness. It's stingy. Or, depending on your POV, fiscally responsible.

Marvel (and DC)'s not going to pay the royalties it will take to get creators to do their best work in the Marvel Universe. Creators aren't just going to give them a 21st Century Wolverine without those royalties, or an equivalent buyout payment.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    Just my opinion but anyone who is spending $60.00/full price for console games these days is a fool when you can wait 4-5 months & get that same game for $30.00-$40.00 & in the meantime work on some of those games they haven't beat or barely touched in their massive backlogs.
    Yeah, not everyone wants to wait 4-5 months. And that's if you're lucky. Some games take forever to drop in price. Even used.

But since they're fools, I suppose the same can be said for the people who bitch and moan about comic book prices but don't take the effort to find online deals and discounts for said comics.

Not everyone has time to go searching for the best deal all the time. That's just a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandacrystal22 View Post
    From what I heard about the new MU, I am very concerned if it will be the Marvel we know and love. Instead I'm hearing political correctness for this "reboot". Oops I mean relaunch. Everything is rubbing me the wrong way. I'm about to get more DC comics for my superhero crave because they are trying to do some innovative things. They are not perfect, but they are learning. Marvel looks like they are being controlled by higher ups that want to kick out the old generation and go for the new MCU/Ultimate Spider-man generation. That pisses me off. Hell, Marvel is trying to do a half assed attempt for a young avengers with putting Kamala, Sam, and, Miles to the Avengers. Are the veterans so irresponsible that they would have CHILDREN on a response group team?! Also, I'm still mad the way they are treating the Nova Corps. Also, Iron Man being the mascot of Marvel….fat chance. Good luck dethroning Spidey. All because RDJ and his EGO.

The reason why I'm ranting is because i'm worried and concerned that what's left of 616 won't be as iconic in the new universe. I'm all up for chance and modernization. But, changing for the sake of change gets me frustrated. What get's me really upset is the race and gender changing. That really irritates me. I'll tell you what I don't like:

Sam Wilson as the New Captain America (Sam is not as fun as he was when he was Falcon)

Jane Foster as Thor (Don't care what anyone says…THERE IS ONLY ONE THOR AND HIS NAME IS ODINSON)

I feel like they are gonna race change and gender swap the old characters…. as a black man I ask this….WHY NOT CREATE NEW CHARACTERS?! HOW HARD IS IT TO PROMOTE.

Here's how to do it:

1. Create that character in a popular title to give him that attention (like Spider-man)

2. You announce a solo title for the character

3. You PROMOTE the character anywhere you can (Conventions, TV, Comic stores, etc)

4. Put a great writer of color or gender to that character. Hell even someone white would be good if they can understand the character and give them a mythology for them (AL EWING)

5. Get an A list artist to be on a title for each arc.

THERE: see how easy that was. I don't think what's so hard about this.

Wrapping up: Are you all afraid of the Marvel Universe not being the MU you know for 75 years. Do you agree with Marvel's PC changes or some of it's hate for certain characters and things not in the Universe?

To respond to your suggestion, I say see Blue Marvel... one writer can create a new character, and it won't matter if all the other writers cold shoulder the character into comic limbo despite the efforts of some very good writing of said character.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    There are statistics that literally say that's Spiderman and by a not small margin.

Marvel doesn't need to follow DCs editorial decisions, considering Marvel for quite a while now has been outselling DC on every front except animation.
    EXCEPT ANIMATION AND TV. Streaming Tv like Daredevil does NOT count.

I agree with you, on the whole Jane Foster and Sam thing. I want Sam back as Falcon, Odinson back as Thor, and Steve back as Captain America. I don't care how "diverse" Marvel want's to be, I'm just not buying it. I'm also not looking forward to whoever this new Hulk is going to be. I want Hulk to be Banner. On a side note if ANAD Avenger's this cast Captain America (Roger's) Vision, Iron Man, Thor (the real one), Nova, Miles, and Ms Marvel I'd be fine with it.

I'm still looking forward to this new Marvel Universe, because I want to dive in deep to the MU. (I'm looking to pull at least 20 comics maybe more).

As a die hard a 20+ year fan of Marvel I tend to agree with the original poster.I am fine with characters changing and trying new things other wise its just reading the same story,characters,situations over and over again.But when you change out 5 of your big 6 characters with different races,sex...ect its extremely gimmicky and lazy.I am fine for one or two being switch out sense this type of thing happens in comics but when you pretty much remake all of your big heros and put the original to the side or down grade them because theirs to man "WHITE MEN" characters that rubs me the wrong way and is also very racist in my eyes.Marvel thinks now with the PC world that their main stars and characters are "TO WHITE" and need to be demoted or push to the side in the world we live in today.Then you add on the fact of how the X-Men and Fantastic Four have been treated do to Marvel/Disney not owning the movie rights and thats also very worrying to me.

I'll give the new Marvel a chance sense again I am a die hard fan but its fine to complain and vent if you don't like the direction things look to be going in.

BANNED

This just came in........Aunt May will be a transvestite in her new series "The Superior Cross dresser"

With all the problems I have with Marvel, the fact people are whining about political correctness just is stupid. It invalidates all of actual critiques because "Wah wah, he's black now! Pandering!"

Complain that Marvel is stuck with the same few franchises. Complain that Marvel only uses the same characters over and over or the same legacies over and over. Complain that the MCU is affecting the comics too much. Complain that the X-Men are becoming irrelevant. There's a lot to critique, but going "The political correctness ruins everything" just makes you all come off as really shallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    With all the problems I have with Marvel, the fact people are whining about political correctness just is stupid. It invalidates all of actual critiques because "Wah wah, he's black now! Pandering!"

Complain that Marvel is stuck with the same few franchises. Complain that Marvel only uses the same characters over and over or the same legacies over and over. Complain that the MCU is affecting the comics too much. Complain that the X-Men are becoming irrelevant. There's a lot to critique, but going "The political correctness ruins everything" just makes you all come off as really shallow.
    Not really. I find it OK..I mean why is it shallow?

If anything I think a lot of the " stop complaining " crew demonstrate a lack of very simple empathy for the folks whose fav characters or teams are being hijacked.

I'm sorry PC Supreme announced today has at least 3 gender / race swapped characters...its just plain weird at this point.
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 06-24-2015 at 09:08 PM.