Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Amazing Member

Default What's going on with the Sinister Six film?

I am beyond confused as to how a movie based solely on the villains (even if Spidey makes an appearance) could get audience attention, but I read yesterday that Garfield signed a new contract (with a movie slated for next year). Could the Sinister Six movie just be a full Spider-Man movie? As if the Sinister Six is the build up movie equivalent to The Avengers?

Quote Originally Posted by bagocats View Post
    I am beyond confused as to how a movie based solely on the villains (even if Spidey makes an appearance) could get audience attention, but I read yesterday that Garfield signed a new contract (with a movie slated for next year). Could the Sinister Six movie just be a full Spider-Man movie? As if the Sinister Six is the build up movie equivalent to The Avengers?
    No, I don't think so. You can use the Sinister Six as protagonists for their own movie by placing them up against an antagonist that's worse than them.

The question is, who's worse than the Sinister Six in the Spider-Man universe that they can actually use as a legitimate antagonist?

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    No, I don't think so. You can use the Sinister Six as protagonists for their own movie by placing them up against an antagonist that's worse than them.

The question is, who's worse than the Sinister Six in the Spider-Man universe that they can actually use as a legitimate antagonist?
    Carnage
    Norman Osborn
    Mephisto.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Ideally, it should be the supervillain take on Reservoir Dogs meets Shawshank Redemption. A heist film with serious themes of redemption and another chance at life. No need for a more "scummy" antagonist.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Ideally, it should be the supervillain take on Reservoir Dogs meets Shawshank Redemption. A heist film with serious themes of redemption and another chance at life. No need for a more "scummy" antagonist.
    Really great idea. But Sony is not the studio to make something of that quality and depth happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Cosmic View Post
    Really great idea. But Sony is not the studio to make something of that quality and depth happen.
    I know, but Drew Goddard is writing and directing the movie so there is some hope as he is far more talented than the likes of Kurtzman and Orci.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Wow, I would love to watch a Resevoir Dogs Sinister Six movie. Especially with the torture/dance scene

If Webb's looking to get out after ASM 3, I wouldn't be surprised if Goddard (currently the expected director for a Sinister Six film) were offered ASM 4.

Although it is worth nothing that Goddard left the Netflix Daredevil show a few days back. That could suggest Sony's going ahead with Sinister Six.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/drew...il-1201191352/
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Yeah, but then the question becomes, "Where is Spider-Man throughout all this?" I guess they will find some way around that, like setting the movie in the jungles of South America instead of the middle of Manhattan, or something?

Astonishing Member

The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, Hydra, and Omega Flight...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, Hydra, and Omega Flight...
    None of those are characters Sony has the rights to, Marvel/Disney has the rights to Hydra and Omega Flight, Fox has the rights to the Brotherhood. Sony only has the rights to Spidey, his supporting cast and his rogues gallery, no one else. So keeping that in mind, of the characters Sony has the rights to, which villains could make for an effective antagonist in a Sinister Six movie?

They can simply come up with a new, non-superpowered, suit wearing (as in, formal suit) villain, like comic book movies and James Bond films tend to do.

I don't particularly want an ASM 3 so it's nice to hear that the Sinister Six film is actually happening soon instead.

How many people read the Amazing-Spider Man Annual #1 and said, “You know, that issue was great, except for that Spider-Man character?”

At this point, I think there are way too many unanswered questions for me to judge the film prematurely.

Is it possible to make Sinister Six a good film? With good writing, casting, and directing—sure. But for me, the film has a number of disadvantages going in.

1) No one seems to know what’s going on, including Sony. Every source/article I read seems to say different things. Is it a Spider-Man film featuring the Sinister Six as antagonists? Is it a Sinister Six film featuring Spider-Man as the antagonist? Does Spider-Man appear at all, or Peter Parker, or members of his supporting cast?

2) Wrapping up the Sinister Six threads from TASM2 (like the Gentleman) and relating to TASM3/the franchise in general.

3) Introducing the new members of the team in a way that does service to each character and doesn’t short-change them. We don’t have to see the origin stories for all of them, but we need to know who they are and what motivates them. If they go with those hinted at the end of TASM2 (a big if), we still have several members (Otto, Mysterio/Chameleon, potentially Kraven, Vulture). Also, I enjoyed TASM2, but think Electro would have to be fleshed out better than he was in the film.

4) As others have said, a credible antagonist.

Honestly, I admire the passion some fans seem to have for this film, especially considering we know so little about it, and it’s still being written. A poster earlier had some ideas that I think could be neat, if the studio put them into practice. But especially if these characters are the protagonists, it will require a level of skill and craftsmanship in writing and directing that I’m not sure we can expect from Sony at this point. I would love to be proven wrong, though!

One last point. It occurs to me that if this is an attempt to setup the Sinister Six first so that they can face Spider-Man in TASM3, it seems like a shortcut so that they can play with these villains without having to introduce them in said film. I’m not sure I want to see a movie where the entire reason for the film’s existence is to setup another film—though I would totally see the heck out of that TASM3!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post
    They can simply come up with a new, non-superpowered, suit wearing (as in, formal suit) villain, like comic book movies and James Bond films tend to do.

I don't particularly want an ASM 3 so it's nice to hear that the Sinister Six film is actually happening soon instead.
    How could such a villain pose a real threat to six murderous villains with super powers? That type of villains works well against James Bond, because its normal humans vs. other normal humans, that is a fair fight. A normal human villain against six super villains who are not afraid to use to murder to solve their problems, seems pretty uneven.

BANNED

Default the fate of the sinister six film

so we know that drew goddard is writing and directing the sinister six film but we all know how sony is. i mean they corrupted raimi's SM3 and nearly destroyed his foruth movie and corrutped both of webb's films so how will goddard's film survive this.

and let's talk about the easter eggs in tasm 2. now we saw vulture's wings and otto's tentacles but doesn't that take away the element of what made the cgaracters special like otto's childhood, otto's love life, and how his arms effected him. why is myterio in the film too?

got anything how these villains will be introduced and how this film will play itself out even without spiderman?