Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Am I right to not really trust Latino Review? Until he actually posts an article, I'm not believing this for a second.
    I never read anything El Mayimbe said, but he is infamous for making wrong assumptions and feeding false information
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

BANNED

Lets be 100% honest here, a Sinister Six film is just Sony's pathetic attempt to match or one up Marvels' mega blockbuster 'Avengers' franchise with a property of their own. We all know that Spidey universe does NOT lend itself to that kind of a franchise nor does it have the level of supporting characters or main players that audiences would care about enough to see in a single film. Marvel spent years building up to the Avengers film with numerous different properties that tied together into the final film and brought the audiences from the different franchises together.

What Sony is trying to do is equivalent to if Marvel decided to bypass an Avengers movie and instead made a film starring all the Iron man villains teaming up with Mandarin, Fin Fang Foom and Iron Monger. It's about as asinine, pathetic and doomed for failure. This film will never see the light of day.

Quote Originally Posted by colossus34 View Post
    Lets be 100% honest here, a Sinister Six film is just Sony's pathetic attempt to match or one up Marvels' mega blockbuster 'Avengers' franchise with a property of their own. We all know that Spidey universe does NOT lend itself to that kind of a franchise nor does it have the level of supporting characters or main players that audiences would care about enough to see in a single film. Marvel spent years building up to the Avengers film with numerous different properties that tied together into the final film and brought the audiences from the different franchises together.
    Marvel Studios might still surprise us with a Thunderbolts film, and add to the fun of their work

Might
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Thunderbolts, now we're talking. I could see that working as a semi-comedy, like Guardians of the Galaxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    ASM2 was good but I just simply don't care about any of those villain characters enough to watch what they do when by themselves. They all exist to serve Spidey and to give him an antagonist. No point having a movie with them that doesn't focus on Spider-Man. Its like trying to do a Lex Luthor movie without Superman or a Joker movie without Batman. Good luck getting audiences for that.
    I think Harry Osborn, having been given many of the characteristics of Norman Osborn and Harry Osborn, could be a compelling enough villain to make it worth buying a ticket (for me, at least). I think The Amazing Spider-Man 2 would've been better off, though, if they had just decided to make Harry Osborn the main villain of the film instead of have Harry be shortchanged for Electro for a portion of the movie and then resurface later on. That would've given their best character time to shine. I'm not even saying Electro shouldn't have been in the movie but it feels like a waste to spend so much time on him to make him no better than a charicature. They should've just made him a thug, who broke into OsCorp, and stumbled into some projects he shouldn't have been dealing with, becoming Electro.

And its not like Sony can proudly say: "from the studio who brought you ASM2!"
    You're right. I totally think that they need to let the director have control or be involved from the start instead of sticking their hands into the cookie jar at the very last minute.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    I never read anything El Mayimbe said, but he is infamous for making wrong assumptions and feeding false information
    Like the mythical "Planet Hulk" movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    I had actually given this some thought before. I was very frustrated to see Oscorp have the Vulture wings and Ock harness in that sub-basement for military products, but I found a way to rationalize it very easily that still gives their original creators some due.

In the case of Toomes, you can still operate using this origin point with the end result being that Oscorp bought all of the assets and intellectual property attached to Toomes's flight harness project:

That would make him embittered to Oscorp and Osborn, but far enough at the end of his rope (since he is older but not decrepit) that he would do anything for an opportunity to get his hands on his invention.

Doc Ock is a bit trickier. I do agree that Otto does deserve his own film, so in his case it actually DOES make sense to reduce the Ock identity to a powerset. Give it to Carolyn Trainer. That way you give the film's cast a boost of estrogen so it's not just a boy's club. Octavius will get a mention being the original designer of the harness (Oscorp has a 2.0 version based on Otto's designs) and his not having been seen in years after his experiment went awry. He'd also act as the Master Planner, the guy who actually figured out all of the variables to make the heist successful, which it winds up being. A third act reveal followed by a few twists and you get Doc Ock as the head of the Sinister Six.

If it were up to me though, ASM2 would have had either Kraven or Mysterio as the villain. Either one of those guys would have been better than Electro, imo. Kraven would have tied better to ASM's story with the Lizard who would have made a reappearance to help Peter at some point in the story, while so much fun could have been had with Mysterio's illusions.
    These are actually some really good ideas and would go halfway toward making a Sinister Six film work for me conceptually. You managed to explain and address some key issues with the film in just a few sentences with some innovative ideas. They need more thinkers like you in Hollywood.

Having said that, I'd still prefer it if it were a Sinister Six film where they fight Spider-Man, if only because it would be a shame to have the six show up together onscreen in all their cinematic glory and not see what a great visual it would be of ole' Spidey taking them all on at once, using his intellect and all of his powers to find a way to beat them.

Astonishing Member

The thing is the Sinister Six work far better as antagonists then protagonists. Mainly they seem to get together and try to kill Spidey, that doesn't make for good protagonists.

People are saying you can put them in an Ocean's 11 story, but the Sinister Six are so powerful, they easily perform a smash and grab operation to steal what they want to, without much planning. Yeah if SHIELD and the Avengers were in the Sony Spider-man Universe, you might as a facility and opponents that would give the Sinister Six a real challenge, but since Sony only has access to the Spidey characters, I don't see how you create a caper that is actually a challenge for them, rather then something they can pull off in an afternoon by simply using brute force to get what they want.

Also I am not sure a sleazier villain from the Spidey Universe would stand much of a chance against Six super villains. The Sinister Six Gentleman story worked with Spidey as the protagonist, not the Sinister Six, I think having the Sinister Six as protagonists, rather then antagonists fighting against Spidey, is a mistake.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 07-21-2014 at 10:19 PM.

The source material isn't all that promising for a Sinister Six film, but Sony could figure that they could change the characters to fit into this particular role.

Except that made more sense before ASM 2.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The source material isn't all that promising for a Sinister Six film, but Sony could figure that they could change the characters to fit into this particular role.

Except that made more sense before ASM 2.
    I think the Sinister Six as protagonists might have worked, if Sony had access to the wider Marvel universe, where you could have villains who are more powerful and more evil then the Sinister Six and plus with SHIELD and the Avengers, you actually have some facilities that the Sinister Six may find challenging to steal from. But in a universe where Spider-Man and his rogues gallery are only super powered beings, its hard to give the Sinister Six a suitable challenge that would actually make us root for them. A Sinister Six vs. Spider-Man story is fun, because it is a David vs. Goliath story, with the Sinister Six on their own in a world with no suitable opposition, its just a Goliath story and I don't see why I should root for them. They are not very sympathetic and they wouldn't even have an underdog status that allow us to root for them. I just don't think this idea works in the universe Sony created.

Spectacular Member

I personally am interested in a Sinister Six spinoff, becasuse of how unexpected it is.

I think it could help bring the Superior Spider-Man storyline on the big screen, eventually. Doc Ock should certainly be treated as the lead character.

BANNED

In a totally and completely unexpected twist, that guy from Latino Review was *gasp* WRONG!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=120930

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of the Crows View Post
    These are actually some really good ideas and would go halfway toward making a Sinister Six film work for me conceptually. You managed to explain and address some key issues with the film in just a few sentences with some innovative ideas. They need more thinkers like you in Hollywood.

Having said that, I'd still prefer it if it were a Sinister Six film where they fight Spider-Man, if only because it would be a shame to have the six show up together onscreen in all their cinematic glory and not see what a great visual it would be of ole' Spidey taking them all on at once, using his intellect and all of his powers to find a way to beat them.
    Thanks.

I too am excited to see Spidey vs the Sinister Six, but Sony just has too much work to put in in order to build them up. They've already talked up that confrontation but they didn't allow the story to build organically. For better or worse, a Sinister Six film not including Spider-man has to happen.

Also, it is crazy that Amazing Spider-man 3 has been pushed back to 2018. That really shows just how much they screwed up. I just don't understand why they couldn't have Spider-man 3 and then Spider-man 4 with Spidey and Black Cat vs all of the villains from the previous film. Expand after Spider-man 4 with Black Cat and maybe a Sinister Six film.
    Last edited by Ceebiro; 07-23-2014 at 10:14 AM.

Amazing Member

A November release? That screams "this franchise is dying, we're just waiting for the parents consent to pull the plug"

This is honestly the best course of action for them. The only problem now is how Andrew Garfield feels about playing Peter in 2018.
    And it might let them use Shailene Woodley for Mary Jane again if they really want her.