Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by bagocats View Post
    A November release? That screams "this franchise is dying, we're just waiting for the parents consent to pull the plug"
    Thor: The Dark World was released in November.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Thor: The Dark World was released in November.
    Yeah but there is already so much surrounding Thor in that cinematic universe that they really didn't have anything to lose. People liked Avengers or liked Iron Man (or maybe just liked Thor) went to see this because of the connections. This is just Spider-Man. There's no cinematic connections

Mighty Member

Yeah but there is already so much surrounding Thor in that cinematic universe that they really didn't have anything to lose. People liked Avengers or liked Iron Man (or maybe just liked Thor) went to see this because of the connections. This is just Spider-Man. There's no cinematic connections
    So what you're really saying is ... it's only a bad thing when you declare it to be so.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    This is honestly the best course of action for them. The only problem now is how Andrew Garfield feels about playing Peter in 2018.
    And it might let them use Shailene Woodley for Mary Jane again if they really want her.
    I was just about to say this.

In 4 years, he'll be approaching 40. They may have to recast. Heck, who knows what will happen to the remainder of the cast by that point. This is the perfect time to open up the floor to contract renegotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    I was just about to say this.

In 4 years, he'll be approaching 40. They may have to recast. Heck, who knows what will happen to the remainder of the cast by that point. This is the perfect time to open up the floor to contract renegotiations.
    Well he'd be 35, so it's half-way there.

They might end up rebooting from the beginning all over again if Garfield doesn't come back. Tbh Sony just has to be smart about this or else Marvel will get back the movie rights.

BANNED

A November release? That screams "this franchise is dying, we're just waiting for the parents consent to pull the plug"
    How is that bad? It doesn't conflict with anything Marvel Studios will have at the time, and Marvel will have movies in November of 2017 and 2018. How does Sony doing this suggest that?

BANNED

The franchise was dying when AS2 bombed at the box office. This is just Sony's lame attempt to keep their clutches on the franchise longer while they hope/pray the time between sequels will get people interested in a Spidey movie again. Have a feeling IF sinister six gets the push its going to be a much smaller movie. Maybe even darker, gritter to make it stand out and get some sort of critical acclaim back to the franchise. Depending on how it does they can either greenlight the next Spidey movie and have it ready by 2018 or wash their hands from the franchise and accept defeat. There is NO WAY another spidey film is being greenlight if Sinister six bombs critically and commerically.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by colossus34 View Post
    The franchise was dying when AS2 bombed at the box office.
    How do you define "bomb"? It's done over $700 million worldwide which, admittedly, is less than what they'd hoped for. But still.

700 million isn't bad. However, it's the lowest grossing Spiderman to date, and it's a sequel as well ( sequels usually make more more then the last one ). Also, the fact that Sony can't get Marvels flagship character to make more then a Captain America, X-men or Iron man film is just embarrassing. Jesus Christ Sony

In regards to this new plan, good luck Sony, coz you're still gonna need it. I appreciate it that Sony are rethinking their plans, but it still aren't gonna work. It's not going to help them finically. It's gonna be awhile til we get to see another Spidey film again, but this may just help them as audiences are clearly getting tried of Spiderman for now.
    Last edited by THE DANGER965; 07-23-2014 at 12:10 PM.
    I look around at us and you know what I see? Losers... I mean like, folks who have lost stuff. And we have, man, we have, all of us. Homes, and our families, normal lives. And you think life takes more than it gives, but not today. Today it's giving us something. It is giving us a chance.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    How do you define "bomb"? It's done over $700 million worldwide which, admittedly, is less than what they'd hoped for. But still.
    ASM2's Production Budget was 200 million plus it's Marketing Budget which was in the 180+ million range.

If you go by the rule of thumb that a movie needs to make twice it's budget, it's $60 million short. That doesn't include the fact that all the gross doesn't return back to the Studio (especially the international gross).

ASM2 was a massive misfire and the fact that it declined from the first film makes it even worst for Sony.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 07-23-2014 at 12:15 PM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

BANNED

This is not how you make a priority out of your franchise by sidelining him in favor of the foes. I can only imagine how Marvel will market this in the comics (probably make 2016 the year Doc Ock is revived if he's part of the movie)

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    This is honestly the best course of action for them. The only problem now is how Andrew Garfield feels about playing Peter in 2018.
    And it might let them use Shailene Woodley for Mary Jane again if they really want her.
    As much as I like Garfield, I am sort of hoping for another actor to play Spider-Man if they bring MJ into the picture. That way the chemistry between Gwen and Peter so far would remain its own thing and a new duo of actors can develop a new thing. ASM2 provided a really good point to make a shift like that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    As much as I like Garfield, I am sort of hoping for another actor to play Spider-Man if they bring MJ into the picture. That way the chemistry between Gwen and Peter so far would remain its own thing and a new duo of actors can develop a new thing. ASM2 provided a really good point to make a shift like that.
    Garfield wasn't the problem, the action wasn't the problem nor were the villains per say. Sure the script could have been better but at this point its major franchise fatigue that's plaguing Spidey and another reboot or racast is not going to solve that problem. Pushing to 2018 isn't a bad idea but its being done more out of necessity than anything else. They have to make some sort of Spidey movie every few years or they lose the franchise to Marvel so they're compromising with apparently a Sinister Six film while at same time they putting Spidey on a ice for a few years to see if momentum can be built up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai
    This is not how you make a priority out of your franchise by sidelining him in favor of the foes. I can only imagine how Marvel will market this in the comics (probably make 2016 the year Doc Ock is revived if he's part of the movie)
    Cam, you continue to sprout out great material for quotes! Kudos!
    As for the delay, I have to say it might be for the best though the Marvel/Disney train is in the back with a bat waiting for the slip up if it hasn't come up already.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by colossus34 View Post
    Garfield wasn't the problem, the action wasn't the problem nor were the villains per say. Sure the script could have been better but at this point its major franchise fatigue that's plaguing Spidey and another reboot or racast is not going to solve that problem. Pushing to 2018 isn't a bad idea but its being done more out of necessity than anything else. They have to make some sort of Spidey movie every few years or they lose the franchise to Marvel so they're compromising with apparently a Sinister Six film while at same time they putting Spidey on a ice for a few years to see if momentum can be built up again.
    I disagree with it being franchise fatigue.

X-Men just had its highest grossing film, and that series has been running longer and releasing just about as frequently as Spider-man has. The script was pretty much the big failing in both ASM films. That's not a knock on the dialogue but more so the story events and progression and pacing of said events.