Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default What's going on with the Sinister Six film?

I am beyond confused as to how a movie based solely on the villains (even if Spidey makes an appearance) could get audience attention, but I read yesterday that Garfield signed a new contract (with a movie slated for next year). Could the Sinister Six movie just be a full Spider-Man movie? As if the Sinister Six is the build up movie equivalent to The Avengers?

Quote Originally Posted by bagocats View Post
    I am beyond confused as to how a movie based solely on the villains (even if Spidey makes an appearance) could get audience attention, but I read yesterday that Garfield signed a new contract (with a movie slated for next year). Could the Sinister Six movie just be a full Spider-Man movie? As if the Sinister Six is the build up movie equivalent to The Avengers?
    No, I don't think so. You can use the Sinister Six as protagonists for their own movie by placing them up against an antagonist that's worse than them.

The question is, who's worse than the Sinister Six in the Spider-Man universe that they can actually use as a legitimate antagonist?

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    No, I don't think so. You can use the Sinister Six as protagonists for their own movie by placing them up against an antagonist that's worse than them.

The question is, who's worse than the Sinister Six in the Spider-Man universe that they can actually use as a legitimate antagonist?
    Carnage
    Norman Osborn
    Mephisto.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Ideally, it should be the supervillain take on Reservoir Dogs meets Shawshank Redemption. A heist film with serious themes of redemption and another chance at life. No need for a more "scummy" antagonist.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Ideally, it should be the supervillain take on Reservoir Dogs meets Shawshank Redemption. A heist film with serious themes of redemption and another chance at life. No need for a more "scummy" antagonist.
    Really great idea. But Sony is not the studio to make something of that quality and depth happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Cosmic View Post
    Really great idea. But Sony is not the studio to make something of that quality and depth happen.
    I know, but Drew Goddard is writing and directing the movie so there is some hope as he is far more talented than the likes of Kurtzman and Orci.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Wow, I would love to watch a Resevoir Dogs Sinister Six movie. Especially with the torture/dance scene

If Webb's looking to get out after ASM 3, I wouldn't be surprised if Goddard (currently the expected director for a Sinister Six film) were offered ASM 4.

Although it is worth nothing that Goddard left the Netflix Daredevil show a few days back. That could suggest Sony's going ahead with Sinister Six.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/drew...il-1201191352/
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

I forget; is Sinister Six slated to come before ASM 3, or between 3 and 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    I forget; is Sinister Six slated to come before ASM 3, or between 3 and 4?
    They've yet to announce a decision.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The way a Sinister Six film could work is without having a real antagonist a la Superior Foes of Spider-Man sans chump villains or like the new Guardians of the Galaxy movie only with villains. Make the Sinister Six their own enemies and explore how they eventually team up to fight Spidey. The Sinister Six should be led by 3 smart villains who should get the character development focus (say Harry, Mysterio, and Octavius) and 3 brawn villains who can cause trouble but are too dumb to call the shots (say Rhino, Vulture, and Shocker). Most of these villains don't really have a reason as to why they are baddies, they just like being bad (and are good at being bad) and they hate Spidey (especially Harry), so if they can find a way to unite themselves against the webhead you get a convincing deadly team that could push Peter to the limit.

Since Goddard is writing and directing I can actually see this work and it would be a nice spin on the Sinister Six.

I think they shot themselves in the foot with The Amazing Spider-Man 2. After the ending of that film, I don't think anyone will be particularly interested in a new project about Harry Osborn and his buddies.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I think they shot themselves in the foot with The Amazing Spider-Man 2. After the ending of that film, I don't think anyone will be particularly interested in a new project about Harry Osborn and his buddies.
    I enjoyed a lot of TASM 2, but I largely agree with this.

In a perfect world, a film where Spider-Man fights the Sinister Six after several movies introducing each villain could be so great the word awesome fails to capture it. But the way we have it now, if the studio holds to the villains teased at the end of the film, TASM 3 would have to introduce Mysterio/Chameleon, Kraven, Vulture, Doctor Octopus, and Eddie Brock/Venom in order to for the audience to be familiar with each character in the Sinister Six and Venom spinoff films—specifically as they relate to Spider-Man in this franchise.

It’s true that the studio doesn’t have to do this; but I feel it would be a disservice to the film and fans of Spider-Man for someone like Doctor Octopus to be introduced in Sinister Six without ever having battled Spider-Man at all, or even being his enemy.

Also, one of the coolest things about having the Sinister Six in one movie is putting them up against Spider-Man and having them work together to defeat him. Even if Sony just had a voice actor and some random person under the suit so that Spider-Man could still appear in the film without Garfield, that to me would be better than a random film about some bad guys who may or may not hate or have even met Spider-Man.

For another example, if Eddie Brock and the symbiote were only introduced in the Venom spinoff, without being referenced in the other films, and again Spider-Man doesn’t show up, it would be a letdown for me.

Had a more extensive supporting cast been established via the Daily Bugle or high school/college friends (like Flash, Liz, Betty, JJJ, Joe Robertson), it would be easier to use crossover elements to unite the separate films’ universes. But many of the supporting characters introduced in this franchise (Gwen, Captain Stacy, Harry, Dr. Conners) have been killed or imprisoned.

Having said that, I’m hoping to be pleasantly surprised and rooting for the success of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of the Crows View Post
    I enjoyed a lot of TASM 2, but I largely agree with this.

In a perfect world, a film where Spider-Man fights the Sinister Six after several movies introducing each villain could be so great the word awesome fails to capture it. But the way we have it now, if the studio holds to the villains teased at the end of the film, TASM 3 would have to introduce Mysterio/Chameleon, Kraven, Vulture, Doctor Octopus, and Eddie Brock/Venom in order to for the audience to be familiar with each character in the Sinister Six and Venom spinoff films—specifically as they relate to Spider-Man in this franchise.
    I think the Sinister Six movie is meant to introduce those villains, not ASM3. Depends on which movie will be released first.

Quote Originally Posted by jgprime View Post
    I think the Sinister Six movie is meant to introduce those villains, not ASM3. Depends on which movie will be released first.
    You’re probably right.

For me though, I feel that approach does those characters—and the Spider-Man franchise a disservice. Part of what appeals to me about each villain is their relationship to Spider-Man, and how they interact with him. Even if Spider-Man doesn’t appear—especially if he doesn’t appear—can we really consider say, Mysterio, to be a Spider-Man villain if he has never battled or encountered Spider-Man before? And if he has, but the encounter is referenced as something that happened off panel (or the movie equivalent), it would be sad to have missed the first fight between the two.

I’m not meaning to cast aspersions on the TASM franchise. Although I didn’t care for the first movie, I liked TASM 2 a lot, and I hope the franchise succeeds. For me though, I think a movie where Spider-Man fights the Sinister Six, with established membership, would be a lot more resonant than a movie where the some random people with powers and little connection to Spider-Man show up to do shenanigans, though I’m not saying it can’t work.