Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    aka "The Watchdog" 8BitRedBeard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimson View Post
    As much as I do like Miles, I chose 'no' simply because right now I can't be too excited if there's a chance Peter might not have his own book. If he does have his own book, then I will probably feel excited for Miles.
    I was hoping for a "Yes and No" option because your post is exactly how I feel about the subject at hand.
    "With great power comes great responsibility."

I used to love Bendis and Ultimate Spider-Man but that feels like a hundred years ago.

Ultimate Member

Given how Miles has been the better/more interesting Spider-Man for YEARS now, of course I'm excited. I'm kind of done with Peter at this point, his characterizations have annoyed me that much. Pretty much EVERY other costumed Spider-character is more interesting than Peter at this point (well except Black Cat, oh god what have they done to you Felicia).

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    So whats gonna be different that clone saga didn't already do?

Peter is not seasoned or grown enough to ...[etc.]
    That's it right there:

Characters that have 50 years of stories behind them, and keep looping back in circles because they are around long enough for people to EXPECT
    that they are going to grow and change somehow ... but if they change too far, they lose fans and readership that also EXPECT them to stay exactly
    the same?

That is a character that is stuck. All I can say is - I've read every issue of ASM to the present day, including most of the original Spectacular as well
    as almost every other Spidey flavored book in recent years cause they have been pretty dope .. and there is not much they have not done with
    Peter.

They definitely have not had a half black/spanish kid from another Universe get stuck in Peters universe with Pete helping him out, thereby freeing
    Peter and the original Spidey to grow in new, unexpected and hopefully fun directions.

Or we can sit here and bitchv because Pete and Spidey both are NOT growing enough to our liking? AND growing too different for us to like him anymore.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    That's it right there:

Characters that have 50 years of stories behind them, and keep looping back in circles because they are around long enough for people to EXPECT
    that they are going to grow and change somehow ... but if they change too far, they lose fans and readership that also EXPECT them to stay exactly
    the same?

That is a character that is stuck. All I can say is - I've read every issue of ASM to the present day, including most of the original Spectacular as well
    as almost every other Spidey flavored book in recent years cause they have been pretty dope .. and there is not much they have not done with
    Peter.

They definitely have not had a half black/spanish kid from another Universe get stuck in Peters universe with Pete helping him out, thereby freeing
    Peter and the original Spidey to grow in new, unexpected and hopefully fun directions.

Or we can sit here and bitchv because Pete and Spidey both are NOT growing enough to our liking? AND growing too different for us to like him anymore.
    Well fans do have a tendency to talk out of both sides of their mouths when it comes to this issue. They CLAIM that they want characters to grow and change and progress. But then when it actually happens, they whine and complain that it's not more like the "traditional" status quo. Basically they complain no matter what you do. And it's not just Peter fans that do this, it's a common thing in most of fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Well fans do have a tendency to talk out of both sides of their mouths when it comes to this issue. They CLAIM that they want characters to grow and change and progress. But then when it actually happens, they whine and complain that it's not more like the "traditional" status quo. Basically they complain no matter what you do. And it's not just Peter fans that do this, it's a common thing in most of fandom.
    someone here has a sig that basically says that there are two things fans complain about: things changing too much and things staying the same.

what a tightrope.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Basically they complain no matter what you do. And it's not just Peter fans that do this, it's a common thing in most of fandom.
    lol, exactly!

That's why I think its awesome that they have an escape hatch with Miles and this whole Secret Wars situation .. because I'm over it.

I grew up with Peter, I love the kid but damn if I haven't wanted to smack him and say "Get that (@*# together already and learn something!" and he never does.

Or coming on these forums and everybody wants two simultaneously impossible things and will never stfu about it. I'm over it.

Miles + Bendis + Pichelli = sounds good, lets do it. Anybody who disagrees probably hated also Superior because it was both "way too much not Peter not married" and/or
    "This is the first time in history Marvel has killed a character that is NEVER coming back. Just admit it". Those people were pretty lame imo.

If having a young/teen Spider-Man around means that a decent writer can go back to doing "Peter Parker finally grows up" stories, I'm all for it.

Peter has been shown to have science skills in the league of Stark and possibly Richards. Go back many years and look at how he originally took down the Vulture.
    He is NOT an idiot. (Of course, having tech skills doesn't mean you have common sense, but still...)
    Let him grow up. Let him gain some maturity and show that he's learned from life's experiences. Half the time it seems that area of learning stopped at "with great power...".
    Peter is NOT Homer Simpson. He doesn't forget something whenever he learns something new. So, if this is his chance to really grow and mature - yep, I'm all for it.

I still don't like Miles, I don't see that "he earned it" in any shape, manner or form, but if he's the key to getting Peter out of the hole he's been stuck in - Miles! Buddy! So glad to see you!

Technically, I'm not excited about this. Cautiously optimstic, maybe. I'm curious about whether they'll be able to make Miles part of the Marvel Universe, given his different background in the Ultimate books.

It's also a bit unusual to have the same guy write a different version of the character.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Amazing Member

Well, Miles is the most interesting character that Marvel has, pretty much, and Bendis has written the best Spider-Man comics over the past ten years... any announcement OTHER than this one would have been disappointing.

And the people complaining because it isn't Peter are being absolutely ridiculous because there is exactly zero evidence that there won't also be a Peter book.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

If you read the Breevort's latest comments about not undoing OMD, you'll see that Marvel has no plans to use this Miles series to grow Peter Parker up.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimson View Post
    As much as I do like Miles, I chose 'no' simply because right now I can't be too excited if there's a chance Peter might not have his own book. If he does have his own book, then I will probably feel excited for Miles.
    I kind of agree; I have to add, though, that the chances that Peter won't have at least one monthly title are somewhere between "very slim" and "none". Marvel wanted to announce this first to get people jazzed for this book before announcing anything else.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    If you read the Breevort's latest comments about not undoing OMD, you'll see that Marvel has no plans to use this Miles series to grow Peter Parker up.
    Why is undoing OMD the only way they can let Peter grow up? Why can't him growing up involve him finally getting his crap together and leading a stable, adult life? Does it HAVE to be a marriage to MJ for it to count as growing up?

BANNED

From what Bendis said in his interview, it really seems like Miles is going to be the only Spider-Man going around in the All New, All Different MU.

They put him in Avengers and now in his own solo Spidey title. So unless Marvel starts announcing a Peter Parker Spider-Man book soon, I'm going to have to assume that they are playing the whole diversity marketing ploy with Spidey too.

So count me out.

Like I said in another post, if you are replacing Parker, then at least have the decency of killing him off like they did in the Ultimate Universe. It makes no sense that Peter would just let this kid take over for him.

BANNED

In a completely unrelated note: is anyone else annoyed by the fact that the All New All Different Avengers have a team where almost half the roster are just kids?

Wasn't that what the Young Avengers and New Warriors books were for?