Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abe Sapien #17

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Abe Sapien #17

Coming out in October. Here's a preview of Sebastián Fiumara's cover.

That's fantastic. Looks like we're going to be getting into some pretty heavy stuff

Resistance Is Fertile Junior Wormwood's Avatar

This cover is simply incredible!

I feel like Allie is in such a good spot as of the last issue to really take this book forward in a truly new direction. One thing I really loved about Gaiman's Sandman was that Dream didn't even need to be in the book to make his present felt in certain issues. I for one would love to see Abe Sapien go in a similar direction. It was also something that Lovecraft excelled at... You didn't need to see everything to be impacted by it. In fact, I think that was Lovecraft's biggest strength - less is more, because the imagination and what's left off-panel is far more frightening than laying everything out for the reader.

Excited to see what this book has in store for us.

Oh, Thread already exists.

Anyway it was such a great wrap-up for one chapter.

spoilers:
    I'm Honestly suprised when Gustav Strobl finally revealed the meaning of 'the Black School' in this issue. Another good use of Folktales!
    end of spoilers

I enjoyed this one. It wasn't what I was expecting, but it was good.

spoilers:
    The developments with Gene were particularly interesting. Who'd have thought that guy would end up travelling by Abe's side when he was first introduced? Anyone? I certainly didn't.

I'm really looking forward to Strobl getting to the Black School. It's a storyline I want to see gain some momentum.
    end of spoilers

Default Abe Sapien #16

I'm really looking forward to this arc...

Abe returns to the place where Fenix shot him, and things get worse when a mysterious gas begins to leak from the ground. Pursued by a crew sent to bring him down, he runs into two different apocalypse cults, one of which worships Abe!

Amazing Member

Just saw the preview and it almost feels like a conclusion to Abe's journey. Everything is coming together.

spoilers:

Grace, surprisingly, is still with Abe! I'm glad she didn't end up as a character solely used to introduce Abe.
    And I'm pretty certain I saw the hippie that was worshiping him and the egg at the Salton sea.
    It's sad Abe really believes BPRD wants to dissect him though.
    We know Abe was scared and confused (no thanks to Panya) when he woke up from his coma.
    But with Kate being in charge and Liz returning, he should have more faith in his former comrades.
    Of course Devon and Fenix's involvement might make things even more complicated.

end of spoilers

P.S. thanks Middenway!
    Last edited by Septaryeth; 09-06-2014 at 05:47 PM.

It's "spoil" not spoiler for the tags.

It would seems the first 15 issues have been leading to this… I think the series has really taken off once Grace showed up. It was a bit slow going at first, but now that he seems to be actively looking for answers as to who he is I like where it is going.

For the art in this arc, Sebastián Fiumara did inks and then coloured graffiti.

Default Abe Sapien #17

23889.jpg

People think Abe Sapien’s transformation means he’s connected to the monsters taking over the world. Now, returning to the town where he was shot, and where his transformation began, Abe seeks sanctuary with a strange group of survivors.

New Abe Sapien issue of this week just came out. What do you think about it?

spoilers:
    I'm Honestly suprised when Gustav Strobl finally revealed the meaning of 'the Black School' in this issue. Another good use of Folktales!
    end of spoilers

I think I am done with this book. The unrelenting bleakness of it all. I understand that they are using the Abe book to explore the everyday and ordinary people of this world on the cusp of apocalypse that they have created. But it is a depressing place void of all hope. And Abe has become a lost soul with no direction. He rejects everything about himself and fears what he will become. Just all to glum for me. I am not saying it isn't well written or drawn, just that the subject is so depressing that I don't enjoy reading it. At least with BPRD, I have the hope they will find a way to overcome this horrible place the world is in. With Abe I just feel it is a never ending Cormac McCarthy book without respite.

Spoilers ahead...

There was one particular moment in this issue when I wanted to slap Abe. It was when Dayana told him he needed to go home and he was like, "Oh, so Rhode Island." Given the number of times he's heard "Abraham Sapien. Do you hear? Sunken bells are tolling for thee. Out of caverns of Num-Yabisc, dark and terrible deep, the ocean is calling her children home," I was hoping he'd admit that perhaps he should find out what the caverns of Num-Yabisc are and try to locate them.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Spoilers ahead...

There was one particular moment in this issue when I wanted to slap Abe. It was when Dayana told him he needed to go home and he was like, "Oh, so Rhode Island." Given the number of times he's heard "Abraham Sapien. Do you hear? Sunken bells are tolling for thee. Out of caverns of Num-Yabisc, dark and terrible deep, the ocean is calling her children home," I was hoping he'd admit that perhaps he should find out what the caverns of Num-Yabisc are and try to locate them.
    I can't remember whether it was on Twitter or in a lettercol, but comments from Scott Allie have given me the impression that that spooky cavern-temple was actually off the coast of Rhode Island. I remember being annoyed when I learned that, because it had never been hinted at before (unless that was why Caul chose to have his home build exactly there?)