Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Abe Sapien #17

The Claw of Justice!

Whoa, I never would've thought that Abe was just hallucinating. Weird.

I didn't pick that up either… not sure how we were supposed to know that besides the mention in Hellmail.

I feel like every arc is supposedly a prelude to something big… when is that BIG thing finally gonna happen? I was hoping for more of payoff THIS issue.

Default Abe Sapien #17

23889.jpg

People think Abe Sapien’s transformation means he’s connected to the monsters taking over the world. Now, returning to the town where he was shot, and where his transformation began, Abe seeks sanctuary with a strange group of survivors.

New Abe Sapien issue of this week just came out. What do you think about it?

spoilers:
    I'm Honestly suprised when Gustav Strobl finally revealed the meaning of 'the Black School' in this issue. Another good use of Folktales!
    end of spoilers

Oh, Thread already exists.

Anyway it was such a great wrap-up for one chapter.

spoilers:
    I'm Honestly suprised when Gustav Strobl finally revealed the meaning of 'the Black School' in this issue. Another good use of Folktales!
    end of spoilers

I enjoyed this one. It wasn't what I was expecting, but it was good.

spoilers:
    The developments with Gene were particularly interesting. Who'd have thought that guy would end up travelling by Abe's side when he was first introduced? Anyone? I certainly didn't.

I'm really looking forward to Strobl getting to the Black School. It's a storyline I want to see gain some momentum.
    end of spoilers

Based on the last two Invisitexts I need to do some research... The name being referenced doesn't ring a bell.

I think I am done with this book. The unrelenting bleakness of it all. I understand that they are using the Abe book to explore the everyday and ordinary people of this world on the cusp of apocalypse that they have created. But it is a depressing place void of all hope. And Abe has become a lost soul with no direction. He rejects everything about himself and fears what he will become. Just all to glum for me. I am not saying it isn't well written or drawn, just that the subject is so depressing that I don't enjoy reading it. At least with BPRD, I have the hope they will find a way to overcome this horrible place the world is in. With Abe I just feel it is a never ending Cormac McCarthy book without respite.

Spoilers ahead...

There was one particular moment in this issue when I wanted to slap Abe. It was when Dayana told him he needed to go home and he was like, "Oh, so Rhode Island." Given the number of times he's heard "Abraham Sapien. Do you hear? Sunken bells are tolling for thee. Out of caverns of Num-Yabisc, dark and terrible deep, the ocean is calling her children home," I was hoping he'd admit that perhaps he should find out what the caverns of Num-Yabisc are and try to locate them.

Resistance Is Fertile Junior Wormwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I think I am done with this book. The unrelenting bleakness of it all. I understand that they are using the Abe book to explore the everyday and ordinary people of this world on the cusp of apocalypse that they have created. But it is a depressing place void of all hope. And Abe has become a lost soul with no direction. He rejects everything about himself and fears what he will become. Just all to glum for me. I am not saying it isn't well written or drawn, just that the subject is so depressing that I don't enjoy reading it. At least with BPRD, I have the hope they will find a way to overcome this horrible place the world is in. With Abe I just feel it is a never ending Cormac McCarthy book without respite.
    I hear ya, Ed. I think the only reason I'm buying this book anymore is that I'm a Mignola completist. The art is fantastic, and I feel there's been some truly inspired moments in the writing, but I'm typically left with a sort of apathetic feeling about the book in general. Maybe it's the constant desert setting. It appears that will be changing soon. And as Middenway commented, Abe has heard the voices of lost souls, gods, whatever whispering Num-Yabisc in his hear in the past. If he truly wants to learn about himself, he should venture in that direction and perhaps revisit the island of the Oannes Society. Seems maybe he should seek out Panya, as well. Something needs to tie this book in deeper with the Abe of the past, as I feel there's a big disconnect between this mutated Abe and the one we spent years getting to know and love.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Junior Wormwood View Post
    I hear ya, Ed. I think the only reason I'm buying this book anymore is that I'm a Mignola completist. The art is fantastic, and I feel there's been some truly inspired moments in the writing, but I'm typically left with a sort of apathetic feeling about the book in general. Maybe it's the constant desert setting. It appears that will be changing soon. And as Middenway commented, Abe has heard the voices of lost souls, gods, whatever whispering Num-Yabisc in his hear in the past. If he truly wants to learn about himself, he should venture in that direction and perhaps revisit the island of the Oannes Society. Seems maybe he should seek out Panya, as well. Something needs to tie this book in deeper with the Abe of the past, as I feel there's a big disconnect between this mutated Abe and the one we spent years getting to know and love.
    The way I see it, there are several problems with this series.

First of all, for some bizarre reason, I have an extreme difficult time following it. I never had that problem with the other Mignolaverse titles. I forget who is who, who has been where, who has done what.... I have difficulty even following a single issue story (not the flashback ones, though). I don't know if I am the only one but I read the same issue more than one to make heads or tails and, most often, I go back and re-read older issues to clarify things.

Abe doesn't even feel like Abe. Yes, yes, I know, transformation and all that.... But, come on. Back in issue 6, I think, Abe was laughing (along with the other mexicans) when they made fun of that girl. That was a deal breaker for me. Abe was always gentle with human interactions, I can't believe that, even drunk, would laugh at someone. He seems TOO lost.

Also, the whole Strobl storyline seems forced.

Really, I can't put my finger on what exactly is the problem with this particular series but it is the first Mignolaverse series that I stopped caring. And I see that I am not alone in this.

I truly hope that Abe returns to B.P.R.D. soon (no chance, but one can always hope)

Well if enough readers get turned off by the book, they will either have to change the tone and direction, or end it an bring Abe back into the fold (which I would prefer).

I don't know what you guys are expecting, but I want to know your proposals! And if you can't pin point the exact problem with the series, then maybe it's not for you. Not every Mignolaverse book is for everyone or maybe you just not reading carefully enough and connect events/things/situations with other books.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I don't know what you guys are expecting, but I want to know your proposals! And if you can't pin point the exact problem with the series, then maybe it's not for you. Not every Mignolaverse book is for everyone or maybe you just not reading carefully enough and connect events/things/situations with other books.
    I think I was pretty clear. The Abe book is about the grim, despairing lives of the ordinary people in the horrible world that the creators of the Mignolaverse have made it. It is unrelentingly depressing and there is little hope for anyone. On top of that the main character is in a perpetual state of being uncertain about who he is and where he is going. At some point the PTB might bring us an end to this Armageddon, either by the human race winning the war against the ancient evil, or the end to mankind. Either way an ongoing title about how horrid it is for everyone is, as you say, not for everyone, I guess that would include me.

The Claw of Justice!

I would agree that Abe Sapien is the darkest of the Mignola titles. I like it and will continue to buy it, but I do have some problems with the book.