Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Abe Sapien #17

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I think I was pretty clear. The Abe book is about the grim, despairing lives of the ordinary people in the horrible world that the creators of the Mignolaverse have made it. It is unrelentingly depressing and there is little hope for anyone. On top of that the main character is in a perpetual state of being uncertain about who he is and where he is going. At some point the PTB might bring us an end to this Armageddon, either by the human race winning the war against the ancient evil, or the end to mankind. Either way an ongoing title about how horrid it is for everyone is, as you say, not for everyone, I guess that would include me.
    eh the bleakness doesn't bother me, I mean it's the apocalypse, stuff's gonna be bad and the Mignolaverse has never shied away from that. I'm more frustrated with the lack of a clear plot trajectory, which I guess wouldn't be as big an issue if the character work was at least up to par but Abe's got a lot less personality than when Arcudi writes him. it's probably why I find the Strobl plotline more compelling, even if his end goal is vague at least you can get the sense he's working towards something. I don't know what the hell Abe is trying to do anymore.

That's the whole point, depressing and hopeless story. I don't think that Mignolaverse will end on a positive note, they stated many times that there will not be happy ending. I'm interested how the ending will happen.

With Abe I just feel it is a never ending Cormac McCarthy book without respite.
    Nice Expression. I feel Exactly same, on the positive ways anyway. But I still agree with you that Abe sapien books have most grim and depressing atmosphere among the whole series.

Quote Originally Posted by didism View Post
    Nice Expression. I feel Exactly same, on the positive ways anyway. But I still agree with you that Abe sapien books have most grim and depressing atmosphere among the whole series.
    It could be more grim and depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    That's the whole point, depressing and hopeless story. I don't think that Mignolaverse will end on a positive note, they stated many times that there will not be happy ending. I'm interested how the ending will happen.
    Which is why, I am giving it up. The world is grim and depressing enough that I don't need to invest time and emotion into fictional characters, just to see them come to a bad end.
    At least with the BPRD book, we get some great action and adventures. But if they are going toward a complete destruction by the Ogdru, what's the point of dragging it out?

Which is why, I am giving it up. The world is grim and depressing enough that I don't need to invest time and emotion into fictional characters, just to see them come to a bad end.
    At least with the BPRD book, we get some great action and adventures. But if they are going toward a complete destruction by the Ogdru, what's the point of dragging it out?
    Well, humanity will be destroyed, but the new race will rise, so it's not complete distraction (those are just my thoughts). The interesting thing is to see who will contribution the whole the end of the world and who will of our characters will survive and so on. It's the journey that characters make that interests me not the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Well, humanity will be destroyed, but the new race will rise, so it's not complete distraction (those are just my thoughts). The interesting thing is to see who will contribution the whole the end of the world and who will of our characters will survive and so on. It's the journey that characters make that interests me not the ending.
    I am still interested in the characters of BPRD, I guess Abe's journey no longer interests me.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Spoilers ahead...

There was one particular moment in this issue when I wanted to slap Abe. It was when Dayana told him he needed to go home and he was like, "Oh, so Rhode Island." Given the number of times he's heard "Abraham Sapien. Do you hear? Sunken bells are tolling for thee. Out of caverns of Num-Yabisc, dark and terrible deep, the ocean is calling her children home," I was hoping he'd admit that perhaps he should find out what the caverns of Num-Yabisc are and try to locate them.
    I can't remember whether it was on Twitter or in a lettercol, but comments from Scott Allie have given me the impression that that spooky cavern-temple was actually off the coast of Rhode Island. I remember being annoyed when I learned that, because it had never been hinted at before (unless that was why Caul chose to have his home build exactly there?)

All-New Member

Abe Sapien is my favorite Mignolaverse book out right now. I'm so happy with how it's going, I'm worried the group of naysayers who don't 'get' it will complain loud enough to get it cancelled or changed. Hope not, it's totally pitch-perfect for me...

#16-17 were packed with much more character and plot development than the past several issues, and I'm both surprised and pleased with where things seem to be going. Gene's development was a shock to me, and I'm glad to have a wider cast of characters to explore for a little while. Abe always works best when played off other people, so I'm curious to see how these interactions will affect him.

I'm glad for this series, because it's so distinct from the others in tone and subject matter. Intimate horror is something I've been sorely missing in BPRD lately, with most developments now so global and impersonal. I like the smaller impact and the high mystery surrounding the events in the book. The fact that things happen that are never explained (detachable-armed witch? spooky Jesus?) reminds me so much of earlier Hellboy, where a lot of weird stuff just happens and that's that. No explanations to spoil the mystery.

Reading through the trades, I see that the stories read better as books than they do as individual issues--they seem to be planned to work that way. And I think the series is very slowly building an arc for Abe, issue by issue, that will really only be apparent much later when things are wrapping up. We've already seen him go through several stages of reacting to the world around him, and it's clear there's more still in store. For those who've already given it up, maybe you can pick up the trades a few years down the road and see how it all panned out.

I am a bit insulted by those who think no liking this book, means we don't understand or 'get it'. We get it fine, we just don't find the stories or tone of the book is for us.
    As for changing or canceling it. If enough people keep reading it,it will stay. If it turns too many away, it will go.
    If it is losing readers, maybe people voicing their reasons is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cantide View Post
    I can't remember whether it was on Twitter or in a lettercol, but comments from Scott Allie have given me the impression that that spooky cavern-temple was actually off the coast of Rhode Island. I remember being annoyed when I learned that, because it had never been hinted at before (unless that was why Caul chose to have his home build exactly there?)
    It was in the letter column. I think to place it so close to Rhode Island and Caul's home is a reason for Abe to visit that temple or maybe both those places. But, he's not going there, yet.

I am a bit insulted by those who think no liking this book, means we don't understand or 'get it'. We get it fine, we just don't find the stories or tone of the book is for us.
    As for changing or canceling it. If enough people keep reading it,it will stay. If it turns too many away, it will go.
    If it is losing readers, maybe people voicing their reasons is helpful.
    Well as I said, maybe it's not for you or maybe you can pick up the book later as cantide said.
    Nobody will cancel the book if you even wanted, it's not DC or Marvel. Don't forget that Mignolaverse is DH one of the biggest breadwinners. There is a reason why there will be two more minis, one in December and one next year.

Ah, I'd forgotten about that.

I'm enjoying the series too. I wasn't feeling it through The Shape of Things to Come and To the Last Man, but it's gotten better since then, or I've fallen in more with its rhythms. I still find the stories a bit rough at times, but then there are issues like #12: The Garden and #14: Visions, Dreams, and Fishin' that just blew me away. I really loved those two.

There are a number of things I'd like to see come to fruition though. For example, Gustav Strobl and Langdon Caul were a part of the same social circles. They would have met, and possibly known each other rather well. Caul turned into Abe in 1965, and Strobl was killed 1967. In To the Last Man we saw a group of people digging up corpses. Knowing that Allie likes vampires, I'm wondering if they'll dig up sleeping fungal vampires and create a whole new problem. And then there's McWhirter in his submarine...

I have high hopes for the next arc.

Yes, the McWhirter guy, I always forget about him. That would be interesting reunion to see.

Well as I said, maybe it's not for you or maybe you can pick up the book later as cantide said.
    Nobody will cancel the book if you even wanted, it's not DC or Marvel. Don't forget that Mignolaverse is DH one of the biggest breadwinners. There is a reason why there will be two more minis, one in December and one next year.
    Which is fine, different strokes and all. (not for me is much different than not understanding it). I have been reading the Mignolaverse since Seeds of Destruction, so a series here or there that is not to my liking should be expected. I was insulted by the suggestion that I don't understand or "get" what's going on. I get it, I just don't like it. And I don't want it to be cancelled, I was saying if my opinion is shared by enough readers it might be. Truthfully, I can't think of anything that has happened in this book that has an impact on the BPRD. If I wasn't reading it, I wouldn't loose anything in the BPRD series.

Spectacular Member

Abe Sapien is my favorite Mignolaverse book out right now. I'm so happy with how it's going, I'm worried the group of naysayers who don't 'get' it will complain loud enough to get it cancelled or changed. Hope not, it's totally pitch-perfect for me...

#16-17 were packed with much more character and plot development than the past several issues, and I'm both surprised and pleased with where things seem to be going. Gene's development was a shock to me, and I'm glad to have a wider cast of characters to explore for a little while. Abe always works best when played off other people, so I'm curious to see how these interactions will affect him.

I'm glad for this series, because it's so distinct from the others in tone and subject matter. Intimate horror is something I've been sorely missing in BPRD lately, with most developments now so global and impersonal. I like the smaller impact and the high mystery surrounding the events in the book. The fact that things happen that are never explained (detachable-armed witch? spooky Jesus?) reminds me so much of earlier
    I too love this book. I love everything under the hellboy banner and how each title has a different feel. Can't wait for the 5 part series I'm sure that will kick things up a notch.