BANNED

Default Is it dumb to get a Cgc comic slab signed?

I am going to Phoenix Comic-Con next week to meet Stan Lee and I have a CGC graded Captain America 100. I was thinking about having him sign the slabbed comic. I don't want to crack the case to get the comic out. What do y'all think? Yay or nay?

What does CGC graded mean? I could google it, but I am too lazy.

Yes. You don't have a signed comic. You have a signed plastic sleeve.

Cotton, CGC is a comics grading company. They give the book a numerical grade from 0 - 10 based on condition. Then they encase the book in a plastic "slab" so that it can't be switched out with another book. If the book is ever removed from the slab, the grade becomes invalid. That means you can't read it, which kind of defeats the purpose of buying a comic book, if you ask me.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    Yes. You don't have a signed comic. You have a signed plastic sleeve.

Cotton, CGC is a comics grading company. They give the book a numerical grade from 0 - 10 based on condition. Then they encase the book in a plastic "slab" so that it can't be switched out with another book. If the book is ever removed from the slab, the grade becomes invalid. That means you can't read it, which kind of defeats the purpose of buying a comic book, if you ask me.
    Thank you Don C!

The more you know, and knowing is half the battle!

No dumber than getting a perfectly good comicbook entombed in plastic in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by masmason92 View Post
    I am going to Phoenix Comic-Con next week to meet Stan Lee and I have a CGC graded Captain America 100. I was thinking about having him sign the slabbed comic. I don't want to crack the case to get the comic out. What do y'all think? Yay or nay?
    If CGC have reps there, then you could open the slabbed book, have him sign it, then reslab it. Would be better than having him sign the case.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.

Writer/Editor/Superhero Marc Lombardi's Avatar

It all depends really. Assuming you're a collector (otherwise why slab the book in the first place) then it makes no sense to have Stan sign the slab.

If you just want it signed for sentimental reasons and not to change the value then I say go for it.
    Writer / Editor / Production / Talent Acquisition - www.grayhavencomics.com
    Promotions/Social Media - www.shadowlineonline.com
    Twitter - @marclombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    If CGC have reps there, then you could open the slabbed book, have him sign it, then reslab it. Would be better than having him sign the case.
    the MOMENT you have the book signed, it's no longer the same ranking -- ink on the book is considered "damage" is it not?

Personally?. . I don't get it. I'd bring a low grade book to have Stan sign, or just get a pic of him holding the slabbed book. . if you really want him to interact with it.
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif