Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default When do you think her main title will be relaunched or reworked?

im new to comics so i dont know any procedure for these things but i was curious about when a possible scrapping of Wonder Woman's new 52 title could happen and she gets a fresh start. Do we have to wait until another event altogether or is it possible after finch's run that she'll get a fresh start

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Even though I'm enjoying the Finchs' run much more than Azzarello's, I'd be willing to give it up if it meant a total reboot of the entire New 52 Wonder Woman. Scrap the Zeus-daddy origin, lying adulterous Hippolyta, sex-pirate Amazons, genitalia-grabbing Diana, and mass-murdering Donna Troy. Start fresh without all of the deviant garbage.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Mighty Member

so they could jut reboot it right now if the power that be wanted to and bring in a new team?

Quote Originally Posted by willienotwilliam View Post
    so they could jut reboot it right now if the power that be wanted to and bring in a new team?
    Doubtful. They are nearly 4 years in and WW is a very central character to the DCU at this stage. They would have a hard time doing more than some tweaks without it spilling over in to JL, SM/WW, BM/SM. The Azzarello changes such as GoW and DoZ are cannon in multiple titles at this point so it's not an easy change. Rape raids could easily just get moved along though without it having broad implications.

Keeping in mind that I liked Azz's run...I'd even go as far as saying I loved it, I don't understand this notion of "I hate it, start over." It's comics. Not that I want anything changed, but one doesn't need a reboot to retcon. If DC decides some of Azz's decisions were extreme, all it'll take is someone coming along to say, "Yeah, about those Amazon manraids? Those were only conducted by a radical cultish tribe of Amazons...but, the *good* Amazons didn't participate." Moreover, the Donna Troy stuff? We barely know her origin at this point. We saw a baby, a dead Amazon, and a pot of clay. All it'll take is some writer coming along to say, "Yeah, turns out there's more to that ritual. The baby was a template from which the clay Donna Troy was birthed, but the template still exists, a captive of Hecate...Wonder Woman saves the template, clay Donna absorbs it -- and with it -- her lost innocence." Boom, crazed Donna was just an empty husk.

If all anyone did was erase everything any time someone stepped in excrement, no comic would ever get past 50 issues. Instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water, a good writer can take what came before and either build on it or clean it up. It's neither here nor there with me, as I'm okay with the continuity being established. I think the big two should always encourage their talent to take risks in a medium where we've seen it all before.

I still haven't read the Finch's run because I'm trade-waiting WW, but given that it really hasn't been going for very long since Azzarello and Chiang's run ended, I don't really see a complete relaunch or reboot happening any time soon. In a sense it did get sort of a relaunch with the new creative team, though that wasn't a from-the-ground-up kind of deal, just a shift of creative teams. But I don't see this happening any time soon, especially since DC just had Convergence and they're not planning a September event this year.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

You probably don't want to hold your breath while you are waiting.

BANNED

If an actual reboot is what you are hoping for; you'll have to wait until either a new massive event dictates a reboot, or a really atrocious pile of writing and editing comes the books way.

But here is a better option: Why don't we stop with all the half-witted reboots and hope creators can actually develop something worthwhile even from wretched beginnings like the one now belonging to Donna Troy. In that case, your breath of fresh air might be in the very next creative team... however far away that might be.

Relaunched? Even the minute possibility is a looooong way off. Reworked? As always that will depend on sales and creative team. Next time a new team comes on, there's always that possibility. But I'm using reworked in the idea of the book's tone, focus, stuff like that. Not anything as far as actually erasing events from continuity.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

You mean the Azz run is a reboot? Didn't it explain the Perez continuity by saying it was a lie?

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

I don't expect there to be a Wonder Woman book worth reading in the DC universe proper in what remains of my lifetime.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    You mean the Azz run is a reboot? Didn't it explain the Perez continuity by saying it was a lie?
    I don't know if you're being playful here...but giving a character a new origin by saying the past continuity was all lies is rebooting, but with the use of technicality to get out of calling it a reboot.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I don't know if you're being playful here...but giving a character a new origin by saying the past continuity was all lies is rebooting, but with the use of technicality to get out of calling it a reboot.
    You got me

How anyone can say that this is not a reboot is just mind boggling!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by willienotwilliam View Post
    well if DC wants to do it, they will. maybe for the 75th anniversary? who knows

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

As much as I would like to see one, I don't foresee a reboot happening anytime soon. The book is still selling around the 45K mark which is higher than the last few issues of the Azz/Chiang run AND higher than the last several issues of Superman/Wonder Woman.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.