Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    I think that johns had to retcon somethings to make it work.

Sensation Comics is a fan favorite, Wonder woman comic should go the same way to SC: a more classic Wonder Woman setting, with some actual problems that women have to live everyday on their lives.
    the book should be reworked and Azzarello run mostly ignored, I like it, but it is outdated and out of touch with actual readership

I think this photo says a lot in that an out of continuity Wonder Woman book made the list over anything from the solo book from the last several years. JMS, Azzarello, and the Finchs' runs were all passed on(unless the Finchs' first arc isn't collected yet?). The current solo book does not really appeal to women in the same way these other books in the picture do.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Just my two cents here: Black Hand, Nekron, Parallax, Atrocitus, and Larfleeze to name a few.
    Well thats kinda my issue here; are the likes of Atrocitus and Larfleeze really good enemies of Green Lantern? Or did they become good characters once they went their own way, where Atrocitus also became an anti-hero.

Black Hand I can agree with since he was just this kinda lame joke villain before he became the herald of the apocalypse.

Nekron and Parallax... I wouldn't give Johns the credit since they were already big-name villains by the time he got to work on them. Not to mention how briefly they appear, similarly to the likes of the Anti-Monitor, Superboy Prime and Cyborg-Superman in Sinestro Corps War.

I think this photo says a lot in that an out of continuity Wonder Woman book made the list over anything from the solo book from the last several years. JMS, Azzarello, and the Finchs' runs were all passed on(unless the Finchs' first arc isn't collected yet?). The current solo book does not really appeal to women in the same way these other books in the picture do.
    Would it be unfair to point out that all of those books are, as far as I can tell, recently released TPB's that effective lauched the books?
    (Aside that, isn't a rack like that staff picks?)
    Last edited by Outside_85; 07-06-2015 at 03:53 AM.

With all due respect I don't necessarily think that one pic alone makes any kind of strong statement. Its one rack in one store. I mean, if we were to take that one image as some kind of strong blanket statement of what girls go for and what they only go for, then that picture would insinuate that Spider-Gwen isn't popular with girls, because its not there on this particular rack. And of course that couldn't be further from the truth.

That's not to say I'm making the counter argument that the main WW is popular with the female readership since the New 52. I don't know if it is or not. Just that one picture of one rack in one store doesn't really say much either way.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-06-2015 at 03:58 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

One photo that does not show the whole shelfing unit nor where she is located in the store? It's all about perspective as far as I see. Sure she's not with the "Fangirl" favorites but that is one store that could be influenced by its owners. Some people are not happy with Azz, but it does not mean Azz is worse than Sensation. In fact, no way it can compare. Sensation did nor say anything that new/fresh about WW and seemed to push Bat characters in some of those stories. I have not been happy with some of Azz's WW and most of that is simply due to his just not fleshing out threads and ignoring details ie the Amazons, Diana's upbringing, why London, what her powerset really means, how the heck does GOW affect the world etc. I can live with his run and no problem other writers fleshing stuff out and trying to at least make more of the Amazons a little more sympathetic and make Diana seem a force in the wider DCU. Some might do it better than others. Finches had quite a bit of stuff just hanging unresolved and unanswered all over the place.

And Sensation is not selling better than WW's main title. A look at charts both Diamond and Digital shows Finches sells pretty okay plus Azz's collected trades/ gns are on the monthly 300 GN list. DC is selling Azz's run as essential WW reading. I cannot see how or why they would just reboot totally. Makes no sense right now.
    Last edited by hellacre; 07-06-2015 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    With all due respect I don't necessarily think that one pic alone makes any kind of strong statement. Its one rack in one store. I mean, if we were to take that one image as some kind of strong blanket statement of what girls go for and what they only go for, then that picture would insinuate that Spider-Gwen isn't popular with girls, because its not there on this particular rack. And of course that couldn't be further from the truth.

That's not to say I'm making the counter argument that the main WW is popular with the female readership since the New 52. I don't know if it is or not. Just that one picture of one rack in one store doesn't really say much either way.
    This kind of goes double when you notice that the "Thor" title is actually two of the sixteen slots.

It almost looks like someone was really trying to fill those sixteen slots.

Come to think of it...

If that rack really reflected readership, would that Black Widow title be cancelled?

I'm not saying that rack is the "be all, end all" but I think it does give a pretty decent representation of today's comics that appeal to female readers. Think about the current female comics that are NOT on that rack such as Supergirl, Catwoman, and Red Sonja for example.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

I'm not saying that rack is the "be all, end all" but I think it does give a pretty decent representation of today's comics that appeal to female readers. Think about the current female comics that are NOT on that rack such as Supergirl, Catwoman, and Red Sonja for example.
    I would say the rack only gives a look at what female staff and/or customers are reading (or suggesting people read).

That is, if this rack isn't just B&N's idea of what girls and women would want to read (or they would like them to read because of not very good sales).

Having worked in a comic book store a long time ago, I can say with confidence that this photo is not evidence of a decent representation.

If anything, it is often the opposite.

Many times, shelves are set up to get rid of things that aren't selling. Make it look popular, put it out in a bright place and maybe folks will buy it.

Diamond often tosses extras into boxes that the shop didn't order (hence two stacks of Thor GNs?) and, as noted already, this could just be the personal preference of the person setting up the display.

It's also often reflective of what the person setting up the display likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Having worked in a comic book store a long time ago, I can say with confidence that this photo is not evidence of a decent representation.

If anything, it is often the opposite.

Many times, shelves are set up to get rid of things that aren't selling. Make it look popular, put it out in a bright place and maybe folks will buy it.

Diamond often tosses extras into boxes that the shop didn't order (hence two stacks of Thor GNs?) and, as noted already, this could just be the personal preference of the person setting up the display.

It's also often reflective of what the person setting up the display likes.

If that rack consists of books that aren't selling, then why aren't trades from Noncenti's Catwoman on that rack?

BANNED

If that rack consists of books that aren't selling, then why aren't trades from Noncenti's Catwoman on that rack?
    Shredded to make a nice soft bed for some kittens... that immediately thought it was a litterbox.

BANNED

Finchs didn't collected yet, but if Azzarello isn't on the list Finchs won't be since they did much worse than him. Agree with you, the last years of Wonder Woman comics aren't attractive for women. it's good remember that young women are the fastest growth demographs on comics, and trades on comic book stores/amazon/ barnes and noble are a really big market.
    Spider gwen wasn't collected yet, it is only out on october, so makes sense it isn't on the list.

this is another BN, pic by sensation editor kristy quinn. First pic was from Bendis.
    most of books are old.
    sure sensation comics sold less than the in continuity book, at least on floppies. Digital numbers are unknown and trades sensation seems to be doing very well. out of continuity anthologies doesn't sell well. mains WW book selling more doesn't mean it is influential, good or better than sensation

I would argue that you are missing a many variables into how this rack probably came into being. Like any retail display there are driving factors based on the location of the store, incentives to sell specific titles (distributors and manufacturers/publishers often offer bonuses for certain products), individual taste from the person stocking, location of the actual shelf in the store plays a role too and from the look of the shelves this looks like a Barnes and Noble so there could be corporate incentives as well ... not to mention that there is zero evidence to show that these titles are in fact what appeals to female readers aside from the female main characters. Based on that assertion you could just as easily make the statement that the WW solo book not appearing on this rack is an indication that she has broader appeal to male audiences, especially given that her sales figures tend to be higher than the majority of the titles on that rack. Also where is Harley Quinn or Batwoman or Catwoman or Storm and why does Thor have two shelves?

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    sure sensation comics sold less than the in continuity book, at least on floppies. Digital numbers are unknown and trades sensation seems to be doing very well. out of continuity anthologies doesn't sell well. mains WW book selling more doesn't mean it is influential, good or better than sensation
    I can easily see Sensation outperforming the Azzarello trades. When I buy a trade paperback I expect to find at least one whole story inside it.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Even putting some time into fleshing out existing "Bad Guys" wouldn't hurt(instead of or alongside "Ground Up" bad guys).

It seems like an event could wait until what's going up on the foundation felt a bit more solid.
    I wouldn't jump right into an event, yet, just start building towards one. Like you said, work on the foundation first. Speaking of which, what part of the foundation would like like to see "more solid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Well thats kinda my issue here; are the likes of Atrocitus and Larfleeze really good enemies of Green Lantern? Or did they become good characters once they went their own way, where Atrocitus also became an anti-hero.

Black Hand I can agree with since he was just this kinda lame joke villain before he became the herald of the apocalypse.

Nekron and Parallax... I wouldn't give Johns the credit since they were already big-name villains by the time he got to work on them. Not to mention how briefly they appear, similarly to the likes of the Anti-Monitor, Superboy Prime and Cyborg-Superman in Sinestro Corps War.
    Yeah, I was mainly thinking of the build-up from before Sinestro Corps War through Blackest Night. It was great for Sinestro and Black Hand specifically, and expanded the world with all the other colors. It worked great for GL, and WW could really use more of that.