Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    So...

Here: "Getting Caught"? Not that big of a deal.

"New52" Run: "She ONLY did it because she got caught!"

See why folks might take issue with you over this? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it really does feel like you might be picking a choosing based on who wrote it.

No, I can't remember if she willingly confessed Pre-New 52 or she got caught by someone. That's just me being honest about what I remember. Nothing more. Nothing less. Besides, I've listed several other issues I have with New 52 Hippolyta beyond her being caught for her transgression against Hera. It's not like that's the only problem I have with her. Now do you see why I may not take retorts against me seriously when they only focus on one of my issues?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    No, I can't remember if she willingly confessed Pre-New 52 or she got caught by someone.
    In case you're curious, she got caught. I checked; Diana basically figured it out in or by issue 98, and then confronted Hippolyta in 99, which includes this great moment in the history of "remorse":

Capture1.jpg

As morally confused contrition goes, that's pretty classic. Basically, she's saying "Why, yes--although I'm apologizing for plotting to have your sister die in your place, I would of course still like like you to stay here and let her die in your place, please."

Now do you see why I may not take retorts against me seriously when they only focus on one of my issues?
    What's wrong with debating one issue at a time?
    Last edited by Silvanus; 07-08-2015 at 06:49 PM.

No, I can't remember if she willingly confessed Pre-New 52 or she got caught by someone. That's just me being honest about what I remember. Nothing more. Nothing less. Besides, I've listed several other issues I have with New 52 Hippolyta beyond her being caught for her transgression against Hera. It's not like that's the only problem I have with her. Now do you see why I may not take retorts against me seriously when they only focus on one of my issues?
    I actually don't think N52 Hippolyta is all that different than Pre-52. Since well before CIOE she's shown dubious decision making and has been as much a pain in Diana's butt as she has been helpful. Her role has been so limited in N52 it's hard to say how much she's changed, but her general characterization isn't all that different IMO. Yes she's made some highly dubious decisions in the little we've seen of her, but that's the heart of it to me ... we have seen much of her in N52, she's been dead or a statue for almost the entire reboot so 99% of what we're working from is conjecture (i.e. we assume she started the sex-pirating, we know she had an affair with Zeus, she came off as a bit ungrateful and fickle with Derinoe). But there's hints that she was also great. A poor rule does not engender the kind of loyalty the Amazon's showed her. Hera, despite the circumstances showed a level of respect for Hippolyta, something she gave no one else. She stood out enough to catch Zeus' eye and strong enough to match his passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    I actually don't think N52 Hippolyta is all that different than Pre-52. Since well before CIOE she's shown dubious decision making and has been as much a pain in Diana's butt as she has been helpful. Her role has been so limited in N52 it's hard to say how much she's changed, but her general characterization isn't all that different IMO. Yes she's made some highly dubious decisions in the little we've seen of her, but that's the heart of it to me ... we have seen much of her in N52, she's been dead or a statue for almost the entire reboot so 99% of what we're working from is conjecture (i.e. we assume she started the sex-pirating, we know she had an affair with Zeus, she came off as a bit ungrateful and fickle with Derinoe). But there's hints that she was also great. A poor rule does not engender the kind of loyalty the Amazon's showed her. Hera, despite the circumstances showed a level of respect for Hippolyta, something she gave no one else. She stood out enough to catch Zeus' eye and strong enough to match his passion.
    The only thing you need to catch Zeus' eye is having a vagina. That's it. Hippolyta attracting Zeus' lust in not some great feat for which she should be immortalized. Especially seeing as how she ended up the same way as any woman Zeus slept with/raped.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The only thing you need to catch Zeus' eye is having a vagina. That's it. Hippolyta attracting Zeus' lust in not some great feat for which she should be immortalized. Especially seeing as how she ended up the same way as any woman Zeus slept with/raped.
    Not really true ... Zeus in mythology seduced only the greatest of beauties and produced the fiercest of children. He might have been a dirtbag, but he had good taste.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Not really true ... Zeus in mythology seduced only the greatest of beauties and produced the fiercest of children. He might have been a dirtbag, but he had good taste.
    on the story it was presented to me, reader, this element from zeus wasn't there. it seemed pretty random

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    on the story it was presented to me, reader, this element from zeus wasn't there. it seemed pretty random
    Azzarello's story requires you to accept that Zeus was attracted to both Hippolyta and Zola.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    Azzarello's story requires you to accept that Zeus was attracted to both Hippolyta and Zola.
    Hippolyta, yes, but Zola, not really--having a child by her was something he did no execute his plan, and not something he necessarily did because of "attraction."

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post

Right? If Zeus just needed a womb, he could have chosen a much more attractive one to carry "Zeke" if his choices were based on anything more than someone having a vagina. I suppose Zeus could have chosen worse. Last I heard, Mongal, Mad Harriett, and Twister were still single.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    In case you're curious, she got caught. I checked; Diana basically figured it out in or by issue 98, and then confronted Hippolyta in 99, which includes this great moment in the history of "remorse":

Capture1.jpg

As morally confused contrition goes, that's pretty classic. Basically, she's saying "Why, yes--although I'm apologizing for plotting to have your sister die in your place, I would of course still like like you to stay here and let her die in your place, please."

What's wrong with debating one issue at a time?

The difference here is that Hippolta was confronted with speculation not proof(such as a goddess like Hera most likely had) and yet, Hippolyta confessed to her crime when she could have easily denied Diana's accusations. Anyways, I've gotten very bored with explaining over and over(and over) why I dislike Azzarello's run here for now. Try me again in a few days if you'd like but I can't promise anything.

Astonishing Member

The difference here is that Hippolta was confronted with speculation not proof(such as a goddess like Hera most likely had)
    Huh? The "proof" Hippolyta was confronted with in issue 3 was that Strife--not a goddess known for her honesty--claimed that Zeus told her this story when he was drunk. But, once asked, Hippolyta told Diana the truth and then expressed contrition before Hera even showed up.

and yet, Hippolyta confessed to her crime when she could have easily denied Diana's accusations.
    It wouldn't have worked. Diana was already sure her mother had been manipulating everyone; Hippolyta would have only made Diana angrier (and she was already plenty angry) by pretending innocence. In any case, Hippolyta contradicts her own apology by continuing to expect Diana to let Artemis die in her place, or by refusing to fill in some of the details Diana still needed. That "why, yes" is a funny line; it makes a mockery of the apology, leading Diana to say "if you believe that, you lost me a long time ago."

And did you see the page I pasted in from Byrne? In that run, Hippolyta's "penance" wasn't even her idea, and at first, she objected. So it doesn't seem like a great example of a deep, sincere, freely offered act of contrition.

Anyways, I've gotten very bored with explaining over and over(and over) why I dislike Azzarello's run here for now. Try me again in a few days if you'd like but I can't promise anything.
    That's fine--you should never feel like you have to respond if you don't feel like it.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 07-08-2015 at 08:53 PM.

BANNED

The difference here is that Hippolta was confronted with speculation not proof(such as a goddess like Hera most likely had) and yet, Hippolyta confessed to her crime when she could have easily denied Diana's accusations. Anyways, I've gotten very bored with explaining over and over(and over) why I dislike Azzarello's run here for now. Try me again in a few days if you'd like but I can't promise anything.
    Thing is though, the only proof Hera had before showing up on Themyscira was something Strife claimed. And considering Strife lives and breathes for it, flat out believing her words would be like trusting Loki. Hera however got a confession almost instantly.

Greatttttttttttttttttttt now maybe we can get the finches off the book n hopefully geoff jones and jason fabok will take over as new creative team.with jason's version of the costume.great hera my prayers are being answered.