Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Amazing Spider-Man #2 Ending Speculation

I thought this should be outside of the regular issue thread since there may be spoilers when speculating about the future, and knowledge from outside sources (interviews, solicitations) is fair game.

So, what do you guys think is going on with the ending of Amazing Spider-Man #2?

It appears that spoilers:
    Peter and Spider-Man have split into separate entities.
    end of spoilers

This is set up in the issue when there's a plot point involving an Isotope Genome Accelerator, a device that can spoilers:
    divide hybrid properties, so there would be an in-universe explanation.
    end of spoilers

In the letters page, Antonio Ruiz was thanked for his idea, which appears to be a CBR post where he wrote spoilers:
    "Peter and the Spider-Man persona split. Trouble ensues."
    end of spoilers

The implications of this are interesting, especially since Peter just got back together with MJ. Solicitations for later issues hint at Spider-Man spending more time with Boomerang, which has a different energy if spoilers:
    Spider-Man and Peter Parker are different people.
    end of spoilers

There may end up being another explanation. The story kicked off because spoilers:
    the bad guys were hired by someone who may have known of Spider-Man's presence at the lab. The previous issue did set-up Mysterio, so this may be some kind of illusion to throw Peter off his game. Though even in that case, the consequences could be interesting.
    end of spoilers

And I don't think anyone needs spoiler tags in any later posts.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

waiting for the day mobile optimisation is available for spoiler tags on cbr. until that hallowed day comes to pass, i’ll fill in the blanks myself using my favourite cards- against- humanity phrases

as for what this possibly means for the new set up? trouble, i’d reckon
    Last edited by boots; 07-28-2018 at 05:30 PM.
    troo fan or death

spoilers:
    I called the split (as did a few others who post here) months ago. I'm still interested to see what happens though.
    end of spoilers
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

As long as the plot doesnt have Mary Jane date Peter and not Spiderman
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    As long as the plot doesnt have Mary Jane date Peter and not Spiderman
    Yeah, I immediately thought of that possibility as well. I also hope this isn't another original Clone Saga (1990s) type of deal.* The Clone Sage was a very unfortunate time to be a Spider-Man fan as a result.

*Those who have read the Life of Reilly (website back in the day) will know exactly what I'm referencing.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-28-2018 at 07:34 PM.

there may be some very unhappy chappys in the near future

or is that “chappies”?
    troo fan or death

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    there may be some very unhappy chappys in the near future

or is that “chappies”?
    Considering Spencer literally just said a week ago that MJ/Peter is not a fake out, I highly doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Symbiote View Post
    Considering Spencer literally just said a week ago that MJ/Peter is not a fake out, I highly doubt that.
    yeah, key word from my post being “may”

and it all comes down to a person’s definition of “fake out”
    troo fan or death

Amazing Member

Exact quote:

"What I can say is it's not a fake out. They really are back together. It's the real thing. True love wins."

This isn't Dan Slott, who would slyly tease the audience and then end up subverting expectations. In two issues, Spencer has struck me as a different writer.

Exact quote:

"What I can say is it's not a fake out. They really are back together. It's the real thing. True love wins."

This isn't Dan Slott, who would slyly tease the audience and then end up subverting expectations. In two issues, Spencer has struck me as a different writer.
    Ah yes Peter and MJ are together but maybe not Spider-Man and MJ. Could be that is the twist, but who knows.

you’re reading it wrong. he said to “blathe”, which we all know means to bluff

in any case, the split personas have to come into play somehow. now i’m curious
    troo fan or death

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Ah yes Peter and MJ are together but maybe not Spider-Man and MJ. Could be that is the twist, but who knows.
    If Spencer wants to make a great story for the ages, he should have Peter and Spider-Man present this to her as the option she's always wanted with some excitement from Peter's side. Instead, Spencer should actually use this situation to analyze/explore MJ's thought process on this matter that has dominated her mindset since OMIT until now. Then, after showing Peter is missing something without Spider-Man (his sense of responsibility and purpose), and Spider-Man realizing he's missing something without Peter (MJ as his guiding force), have MJ AND Peter together come to grips with and ultimately accept Peter and Spider-Man being one and the same, leading to Peter/Spidey getting re-unified.
    Last edited by Green Symbiote; 07-28-2018 at 10:41 PM.

If Spencer wants to make a great story for the ages, he should have Peter and Spider-Man present this to her as the option she's always wanted with some excitement from Peter's side. Instead, Spencer should actually use this situation to analyze/explore MJ's thought process on this matter that has dominated her mindset since OMIT until now. Then, after showing Peter is missing something without Spider-Man (his sense of responsibility and purpose), and Spider-Man realizing he's missing something without Peter (MJ as his guiding force), have MJ AND Peter together come to grips with and ultimately accept Peter and Spider-Man being one and the same, leading to Peter/Spidey getting re-unified.
    Could work, I just hope Peter & MJ don't run off together leaving "Spider-Man" to defend NYC a la the Clone Saga (but with Ben Reilly instead).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Could work, I just hope Peter & MJ don't run off together leaving "Spider-Man" to defend NYC a la the Clone Saga (but with Ben Reilly instead).
    Peter and MJ are on the cover of ASM#6 with Boomerang coming between them, implying he ruins one of their date nights. They're going to survive this arc together, they're fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Peter and MJ are on the cover of ASM#6 with Boomerang coming between them, implying he ruins one of their date nights. They're going to survive this arc together, they're fine.
    Comic book covers mean bupkis.