Page 258 of 347 FirstFirst ... 158208248254255256257258259260261262268308 ... LastLast
Results 3,856 to 3,870 of 5196

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    White Widow's a much better name, it flows better and it's even alliterative so it's aesthetically pleasing to say.
    Thanks for the compliment. Frankly, I'm surprised those at Marvel could not think of a better, or more original, code name for Gwen in this property than "Ghost Spider".
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    What franchise, Marvel and Sony only use Peter outside of comics, and the only glimpse you see of Miles or Gwen or any other spider person is possibly in the cartoons where mostly kids watch; so the only character that benefits from a franchise is Peter.
    Well, the franchise has been solely centered around Peter until around the last 6 years or so (not counting the Clone Saga Ben era), and now it feels like they're struggling to find a way to juggle promoting him, Miles, and all these different Spiders as part of a franchise.
    White Widow's a much better name, it flows better and it's even alliterative so it's aesthetically pleasing to say.
    White Widow sounds more appropriate for a female character though (since widows are female unless they're widowers).
    It occurs to me that since it's been revealed that Gwen will be in an animated movie by Marvel it seems less likely that Miles' movie will focus on the Spiderverse. Not that it's impossible to have a spiderverse movie without Gwen,but she is one of the best known spiders from a different dimension other than Noir and Miguel. We'll just have to wait until tomorrow to see for sure.
    I think "Enter the Spider-Verse" might just be acknowledging either a series of movies focused on alternate reality Spiders or Miles' alternate universe status.

Unless Schreiber is playing Morlun I'm not sure if we'll see any actual Spider-Verse stuff in the plot.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I don’t know about that, especially when they already showed they were willing to change his hero name in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon by calling him Kid Arachnid (still a stupid name choice) and even have toys related to the line follow suit. Clearly brand name confusion isn’t their concern.

Besides Bendis probably sees it in a similar way to Riri where the book still sells under the recognizable name but the hero goes by a different one.

Except now we're going one higher, and we're talking about movies. And the movies is the most important aspect to consider because they will usually hit the largest targeted audience. The perfect example you can see of this is Cyborg. Cyborg was moved to the Justice League with the New 52 as a founding member and has been established as that ever since. Yet even though he was in the Justice League, they still put Cyborg in Titans in the Titans Go television show. This show was extremely popular among kids even though the adults hated it.

Yet when it came times to the movies, it was Cyborg was a member of the Justice League, not Martian Manhunter, and his personality was much more akin to the comic version that the teen titans go version.

So to compare that to Miles, Miles movie is being called Spider Man. They're releasing a trailer called Spider Man, with that happening, most other properties will follow suit, because the movies usually dictate how things will continue forward.

Combine that with that fact that a large part of Miles popularity is the fact that we can be called Spider Man and be black, and to remove that option would be disingenuous to the fans who made him popular to begin with. And that's why he's being called Spider Man in the movies. They understand where his popularity comes from.

I've told this story online countless times before, so I'll make it short: I grew up with Spider-Man comics, but after the Clone Saga, I quit comics altogether. Ultimate Spider-Man was what brought me back to comics, and while it was slow paced, it was playing with the nostalgia aspects of my childhood that pleased me very much. When Death of Spider-Man happened in the Ultimate Universe, I was mad and angry, like many others. It was at that period of time "my" Spider-Man. I was mad when it happened because I wanted Ultimate Peter to live, regardless how much that book was starting to tread the same waters and that's the same problem that Miles has been stuck for a while now.

I wasn't reading Amazing Spider-Man. The bad buzz around OMD and everything about that time made me steer away from Earth 616, I was still very much mad with Clone Saga to ever give it a chance. If Miles didn't happen, if Ultimate Peter didn't die, I wouldn't go back to read Earth 616 comics. I wouldn't go back to read Amazing Spider-Man. And that would be probably the biggest mistake of my comic book reading life, because Death of Spider-Man happened around when Spider-Island happened and Dan Slott made me fall in love with Spider-Man all over again.

And here's something that younger me was incable of realizing back then: Ultimate Peter was just another alternate Spider-Man, just like Miles is now. Yes, he was still Peter Parker, but in a sense, he was even more redundant than Miles ever was. I don't think Miles has truly brought something new to the table and Spider-Man's mythology other than people loving the shit out of him because they see themselves in him. I'm a Brazilian 36 year old man that has a father that passed away 4 years ago and he was black. My skin shade might be a little bit more fair, but I very much identify myself with my black and latino culture. I should be part of the demographic that sees themselves in Miles, and yet I couldn't see myself in him because the similarities with a character that I adored so much - Ultimate Peter - was too much on my face for me to ignore. Yes but what exactly defines who is an alternate character?

Brand. Sales. Recognition. Yes, Ultimate Peter was popular, but not as popular as Amazing Spider-Man. Yes the comic side of things isn't as important as the film, animation, videogames and merch side of things. But the comics are important too. That's why Terry McGinnis will never be THE Batman. Or why Miles Morales will never be THE Spider-Man, regardless how much social important and now I understand even more relevant than Ultimate Peter Parker ever was. At the end of the day, Ultimate Peter Parker biggest importance is now that he died so Miles Morales had his Uncle Ben moment. Everything that came before is at the very best a prolonged origin story for Miles, not Ultimate Peter. All that Ultimate Peter Parker could possibly be was another alternate version of Spider-Man. A younger and cool one, but still an alternate version.

Miles Morales though? Now I understand that he has an insane potential to be much more than that. If I hated Miles so much like you seem to think and I completely understand that, I wouldn't mind, man. I would say: let him be Spider-Man as long as Marvel wants and the character cultural relevance fades. Or put him back in the Ultimate Universe and let him do his thing. But that would just lead him to a Spider-Girl's path. And I feel like Marvel - and maybe Bendis himself - is finally coming around to that. Let's see what happens, regardless, you can bet that as long as a new creators team take over, I'll be buying the comic, since I do believe the character's potential and I feel like this direction they are going with is exactly the one they should have gone since he was brought in to Earth 616 all along.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I know people get defensive about it, but I was in agreement with you. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I'll also ignore the whole "playing the victim" that's emanting from certain posts.
    Guys, I'm sorry it's looked at as "defensive" or "playing the victim", but then I'm honestly not sure where else I'm supposed to go for *conversation* about this character with other people who love him as much as I do. I was really happy to find this thread because it seems like you can't talk about Miles anywhere else. For such a great character, it's hard to find a significant group of dedicated fans. That's the main reason I started the podcast.

Speaking for myself, I may have been critical, but was never intentionally rude about anything or more importantly, anyone in particular (especially the creators that work so hard to make these books happen). Everything I've ever said (here or on my podcast) is wrapped in appreciation for the character and a desire to see him shine as brightly as possible (I've written lots about that elsewhere). Growing up as I did, Miles as a character means the world to me. I get there's a lot of hate/resentment about the character in other circles, but I don't see why that means a genuine fan is somehow unable to express opinions about the aspects that don't connect.

It's a drag to see ijacksparrow shouted down so quickly and harshly when I think there are some interesting perspectives in their posts that have been respectfully presented. We live in such a toxic environment these days (not just on Internet forums but our society in general) where everyone wants to talk but nobody wants to listen. I think you can have an appreciation thread that fosters discussion and maybe even respectful disagreements between passionate fans. It doesn't have to be an echo chamber. Just a friendly thought. But if not, then I'm just one person and can always go elsewhere.

I apologize and promise not to derail this thread anymore and will stick to commentary on the character & stories going forward. You can always PM me here or via my site if you want to talk more about this.
    Co-host of Ultimate Spin - the Spider-Fan podcast for Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen!
    And check out our in-depth podcast interviews with their creators!

I deleted a handful of posts that were critical of comments here. As a reminder, you don't get to determine how people respond to your comments. Appreciation threads are not meant to be opportunities for you to seek out only agreement, and can allow for nuanced responses, especially by people who still like the character.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fingers crossed for trailer today. Confirmation that the movie is in fact called "Into the Spider-Verse" and is rated G (or at least the trailer is rated G in Canada, we'll know more soon enough):

https://screenrant.com/animated-spid...trailer-rated/
    Co-host of Ultimate Spin - the Spider-Fan podcast for Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen!
    And check out our in-depth podcast interviews with their creators!

"Animated Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse" is such a long and clunky name, can't say I'm a fan of it. Guess we'll just have to wait until later to see how it all goes.

Get ready for "Into the Spider-Verse" for all the animated alternate universe Spider-films. "Spider-Gwen: Into the Spider-Verse," "Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows: Into the Spider-Verse," "Animated Spider-Man Miles Morales II: Into the Spider-Verse."
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 12-09-2017 at 07:25 AM.

"Animated Spider-Man Miles Morales III: Into the Spider-Verse Return of the Spider-Verse."

BANNED

Marvel used “Spider-Verse” as a springboard to launch a wide range of new Spider-Man titles. Spider-Man 2099, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Woman, and Silk all featured in new ongoing series. No doubt Sony hopes to repeat that success
    ROFL, "success", they're conveniently forgetting that out of all of those titles, Spider-Gwen is the only one still standing (technically Renew Your Vows as well, since it's version of Peter Parker was introduced in a very short story in one of the Spider-Verse tie-ins)
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 12-09-2017 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Project37 View Post
    Fingers crossed for trailer today. Confirmation that the movie is in fact called "Into the Spider-Verse" and is rated G (or at least the trailer is rated G in Canada, we'll know more soon enough):

https://screenrant.com/animated-spid...trailer-rated/
    I'll be surprised if this isn't PG-13.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'll be surprised if this isn't PG-13.
    There aren't a lot of animated PG-13 movies. They usually seem to go for PG these days if not G.

(Obviously I mean animated films initially released in movie theaters.)

Can all the mods have a meeting to agree on the rules please, b/c each time a mod acts differently based on how they percieve something it confuses me more.

"Animated Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse" is such a long and clunky name, can't say I'm a fan of it. Guess we'll just have to wait until later to see how it all goes.
    Kill it with fire, I dislike the title, also they could have afforded to at least take out the word animated.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

If there's at least one upside to this strange title we at least know Miles will still be called Spider-Man.