Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I agree that Peter Parker should stay as he's always been depicted. I'm not for swapping the ethnicity of established characters as I think it's a knee jerk move. But introducing Miles Morales to the main Marvel U is not changing Peter, it's introducing a different Spider-Man - one that can co-exist with old-school Spidey. Peter can still be his own man and it harms nothing to allow a character with a different ethnic background to embody their own version of Spidey.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ignition View Post
    Was Nate Grey gay? Been a while since I read X-Man but I don't recall that being overtly obvious.
    I don't believe he was gay. But he was an alternate universe version of a 616 character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gwenFan View Post
    Nate was hetreosexual and into incest.
    Yes, He was. That was a twisted mess when ur Kinda Mom kills ur Baby Momma.

And Stan proves why he is indeed 'The Man'.
    "Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"The true is inimitable, the false untransformable." - Robert Bresson

"The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?" - Edgar Allan Poe

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven, Alliance: Fates Law / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven

Weird that he's contradicting what he's said before.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Weird that he's contradicting what he's said before.
    Seriously, before he was all for Donald Glover auditioning for the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Xon-Ur View Post
    Stan gets it, unlike the PC editors and suits at Marvel/Disney, DC/WB, and other companies that pretend to care about "inclusion" and "diversity" but are really just interested in making a buck.
    If only you'd also said "forced down my throat" I would have hit a bingo.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

BANNED

Stan Lee is right.

Gender swapping and race switching are just cheap marketing ploys that both DC and Marvel have been using more and more in the last few years all for the so called sake of adding diversity to their lines.

Like Stan said, if you want Black, Latino, Asian, gay, lesbian, bisexuals or transsexual characters, then just create them! There is no need to revamp established characters with decades worth of history. Just make new ones! That's how comic book universes were created in the first place, creating new and exciting characters.

BANNED

There's a distinction between comic characters with years of history and changing a movie character's race or sexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    There's a distinction between comic characters with years of history and changing a movie character's race or sexuality.
    But what if this movie character is meant to embody and convey said comic character with their years of history, as if they were straight from the pages of a comic, to movie audiences?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I agree that Peter Parker should stay as he's always been depicted. I'm not for swapping the ethnicity of established characters as I think it's a knee jerk move. But introducing Miles Morales to the main Marvel U is not changing Peter, it's introducing a different Spider-Man - one that can co-exist with old-school Spidey. Peter can still be his own man and it harms nothing to allow a character with a different ethnic background to embody their own version of Spidey.
    Yeah. Title of this thread is inaccurate.
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But what if this movie character is meant to embody and convey said comic character with their years of history, as if they were straight from the pages of a comic, to movie audiences?
    If it's a continuity-heavy adaption...sure, I suppose you can argue over an adherence to specifics. But the movies are rarely ever that and tend to make tweaks and changes. Peter doesn't have to be "white" to embody the spirit of an Everyman hero.

If it's a continuity-heavy adaption...sure, I suppose you can argue over an adherence to specifics. But the movies are rarely ever that and tend to make tweaks and changes. Peter doesn't have to be "white" to embody the spirit of an Everyman hero.
    I absolutely agree. But I also know that Hollywood is what it is. Hollywood cast Emma Stone as an Asian woman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I absolutely agree. But I also know that Hollywood is what it is. Hollywood cast Emma Stone as an Asian woman.
    What movie is that?

And yeah, adaptions are crapshoots. Folks always wanna add their two cents, make that specific concept their own. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. All depends on the guy or gal footing the bill.

What movie is that?

And yeah, adaptions are crapshoots. Folks always wanna add their two cents, make that specific concept their own. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. All depends on the guy or gal footing the bill.
    The movie was "Aloha." Can't blame you for not knowing. It bombed.

I don't disagree with you about adaptations being crapshoots. I'm sure the people involved with Amazing Spider-Man thought the parents subplot would be good fertile ground that hadn't been covered before in film.

I agree with Stan.

However, there is an institutionalized preference at work here. A certain number of Marvel characters will always be the most known and popular, and most were created in the 1960s. By default they are white guys and a few white gals, because doing something else just wasn't done. Its easy to talk about introducing new gay or black characters, but its a lot tougher to get them off the ground and into the public consciousness like those originals. They pretty much have no chance of making it or being nearly as popular as those white, straight characters of the 1960s.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.