Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

You make us all proud, generalisimo! EXCELSIOR! Enough of changing existing characters and create new damn ones!

Like Shia says…. Yesterday you said tomorrow, so JUST….DO IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic
    There isn't anything wrong with being either Caucasian or Heterosexual either... I happen to be both.
    don't believe anyone has implied there is anything wrong with either.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandacrystal22 View Post
    You make us all proud, generalisimo! EXCELSIOR! Enough of changing existing characters and create new damn ones!

Like Shia says…. Yesterday you said tomorrow, so JUST….DO IT!
    this reminds me of inspirational memes on facebook.
    o

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I think that one hasn't registered for me because the anime style doesn't look like actual humans, with certain facial features exagerated, I don't see them as any one race usually. For example in Attack on Titan, as I was watching the episodes, I think around the 5th episode, a flashback shows that Mikasa is the last Japanese person left on earth. I was surprised because she didn't look like a different ethnicity than the other characters, I guess I assumed they were all japanese just because it was an anime. And they are making a live action movie of that anime with all Japanese characters while in the anime and manga most of the characters were of european caucasion descent.
    Mikasa is half Japanese. The Last Japanese person was her mother.
    Mikasa is the only character that has straight black hair. Everyone with dark hair is actually just shades of brown.
    Not a lot but it's something.

Anyway, Michelle Rodrigez said the same thing not that long ago and she got crap for it.
    I find it funny that there are several people that keep saying this but Marvel doesnt really take the step.

Amazing Member

I can only say: Bravo, Stan Lee! *claps*

The Man has the right idea.

Astonishing Member

Well Seeing as Stan Lee said the exact opposite thing no more than 5 years ago regarding Donald Glover attempting as Spider Man, something tells me he either flips his opinion a lot and is just a salesman, has amnesia because of old age, or is gaining bigotry due to his old age.

"He's a great actor. I've seen him, and he's terrific," Lee said of Glover.

"A lot of [my Twitter followers] have been saying that he ought to have a chance to audition for the role," he said. "So I tweeted back by saying, as far as I'm concerned ... anybody should have a chance to audition for the role. I certainly think he should have a chance to audition."

However, Lee made sure to clarify that he wasn't advocating for Glover or any other specific actor to get the role.

"And I didn't mention this in my tweet, but I'm telling you that I don't ever want to make it sound like I'm trying in any way to influence the Marvel people as to who to cast in any roles," he added. "That isn't my job. It isn't in my purview. It's something I should butt out of and I try to butt out of it -- just like i don't tell them what to do with the movie."

"Because they really have been doing a pretty damn good job up 'til now," he laughed.

As for the racial aspect of the debate, Lee brushed it off, saying that casting Peter Parker "shouldn't be a racial issue." However, he added that drastically changing Peter Parker's appearance could risk confusing audiences -- but that shouldn't stop anyone from giving Glover or other non-white actors a shot.

"Here's the point: We've already had the Kingpin in 'Daredevil' portrayed by a black man, where he was white in the comics, [and] we've had Nick Fury portrayed by a black man where he was white in the comics," said Lee. "But not that many people had seen these characters -- not that many moviegoers are familiar with them."

"Everybody seems to be familiar with Spider-Man, so I say that it isn't that it's a racial issue -- it's just that it might be confusing to people," he explained. "But that's a matter for the people at Marvel to take into consideration. I certainly don't want to weigh in on it in any way, except to say I think [Glover] is a fine actor."

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/06/09...ting-campaign/

That's Stan being nice to fans.
    A celebrity -especially a smiling one- has to give friendly sweet talk to fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by ishikabe View Post
    Spider-Man co-creator Stan Lee revealed why that's a decision he agrees with. "I wouldn’t mind, if Peter Parker had originally been black, a Latino, an Indian or anything else, that he stay that way," Lee said about a possible race change. "But we originally made him white. I don’t see any reason to change that." That's a sentiment which has been echoed by fans of all races, but there's still a pretty vocal minority who argue otherwise.
    You know what's funny? So called social justice warriors take this and ask the "Why? Are you racist?" question, forgetting or ignoring Stan's direct involvement in the existence of a few great black people in comics like Joe Robertson and King T'Challa.
    Or that he reimagined Batman as a black person.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Astonishing Member

That's stan lee changing his mind. There's no difference between sweet talk and changing his mind. What he said in the most recent article is a complete contrast to what he said in 2010. It's an utter flip flop. But hey, people can championed his most recent post all they want. I would much rather have someone who stands by their conviction than turn on their beliefs.

But what's funny is that no fan that I recalled has ever called him racist, but also how people attempt to portray social justice warriors like it's bad thing.

"The Black Panther should certainly not be Swiss."

Stan! You anti-Swiss bastage!
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    That's stan lee changing his mind. There's no difference between sweet talk and changing his mind. What he said in the most recent article is a complete contrast to what he said in 2010. It's an utter flip flop. But hey, people can championed his most recent post all they want. I would much rather have someone who stands by their conviction than turn on their beliefs.

But what's funny is that no fan that I recalled has ever called him racist, but also how people attempt to portray social justice warriors like it's bad thing.
    Hehe.

Stan Lee likely doesn't remember what he said last week, let alone 5 years ago. I wouldn't hold it against him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Hehe.

Stan Lee likely doesn't remember what he said last week, let alone 5 years ago. I wouldn't hold it against him.
    Hahaha, that's true. He is getting up there.

Fantastic Member

people attempt to portray social justice warriors like it's bad thing.
    A Social Justice Warrior is not the same thing as a civil rights activist. Far from it.

Well Seeing as Stan Lee said the exact opposite thing no more than 5 years ago regarding Donald Glover attempting as Spider Man, something tells me he either flips his opinion a lot and is just a salesman, has amnesia because of old age, or is gaining bigotry due to his old age.
    Doesnt sound like the exact opposite.

"Everybody seems to be familiar with Spider-Man, so I say that it isn't that it's a racial issue -- it's just that it might be confusing to people,"But that's a matter for the people at Marvel to take into consideration. I certainly don't want to weigh in on it in any way, except to say I think [Glover] is a fine actor."
    He is saying that people might get confused about seeing a black spider-man because he is known.
    And he leaves it up to marvel.
    But he is not going to say dont give the dude a job if he does good.
    That's more industry talk than personal opinion. Saying X person shouldn't get a job is going to look bad.

His new statement sounds like he is no longer caring about what Marvel says and it's FINALLY saying what he thinks.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pako View Post
    A Social Justice Warrior is not the same thing as a civil rights activist. Far from it.
    it's the exact same thing. People just trying to penalize one because of the fact to be associated on the other side of the civil rights activist is to be on the other side that fought for equal rights for all. Of course, to be in that camp is to be negatively seen. Hence why even the KKK continuously say they aren't racist. People want to say and do racist things but doesn't want to be given with the negative label of racist or bigot. This is why people try to demonize a social justice warrior word, because they know this group can carry the same power as those who fight for civil rights and to be on the opposite of that.....well I've already explained that camp.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Doesnt sound like the exact opposite.

He is saying that people might get confused about seeing a black spider-man because he is known.
    And he leaves it up to marvel.
    But he is not going to say dont give the dude a job if he does good.
    That's more industry talk than personal opinion. Saying X person shouldn't get a job is going to look bad.

His new statement sounds like he is no longer caring about what Marvel says and it's FINALLY saying what he thinks.
    It is the exact opposite

As for the racial aspect of the debate, Lee brushed it off, saying that casting Peter Parker "shouldn't be a racial issue." However, he added that drastically changing Peter Parker's appearance could risk confusing audiences -- but that shouldn't stop anyone from giving Glover or other non-white actors a shot.
    This direct quote specifically states that any actor should be given a shot for being Peter Parker, and stated Donald Glover was a fine candidate. Which meant, he was perfectly fine with Donald Glover being chosen for Spider Man. Now he's saying they shouldn't be changing any character race, therefore completely contradicting his previous statement of Donald Glover being a fine candidate for being Spider Man. So yes, it's the exact opposite.