Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Clearly some people have never seen an athletic woman in their life.

About the design. I'm not a fan of the belt or the boots. I get that the belt is supposed to hearken back to the old sash but it looks a lot like what Anka did for Spider-Woman. I would have preferred the boots had they been taller (mid-calf although just under the knees would be ideal) and if they were all one color.

Fearless Defender

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    It's great that she is going to be charge and seemingly a very important, no nonsense military strong female.....but why does she seemingly need to de-feminise to do that?

Wouldn't it be better for her to be all that and still take pride in the fact she is an attractive feminine role model?
    I'm sorry that makes no sense, or you know women don't have to conform to exacting and rigid standard of femininity to be seen as either attractive or a role model and would it be better even though both the DC and Marvel universes are already full of female characters who are not only feminine but conform to the highest of conventional and unrealistic beauty standards(Carol in her Warbird/Ms Marvel costume for instance), it's actually quite funny the character is relatively quite feminine(her new design still has heels) but once you give her the haircut and a less T&A focused outfit that you realise how much thing like long hair and large chest are the absolute norm amongst superheroine design(which is messed up btw),

Not liking that too short of hair. As a straight man I do enjoy looking at female superheroes I find attractive lol. She looks like a really girly man to me. I actually liked the look she had with the hair and helmet in the 2012 book. I really don't like the idea of bring in people who worked on a Marvel tv show to write a comic. It is like Marvel is trying to help sales by being in a women creative team that worked on a woman related Marvel show. When DC did that with Green Arrow it wasn't bad but for 6 months the book felt like their dream episode of Arrow instead of Green Arrow. I am really sad to hear that Kelly Sue Deconnick is leaving the book though.
    I love the New 52. I love the dark and grittiness of it and find that is what makes the most enjoyable superhero stories. At the same time I find All Star Superman to be the most depressing Superman story I have ever read. Yeah I'm weird.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarahardy View Post
    I'm sorry that makes no sense, or you know women don't have to conform to exacting and rigid standard of femininity to be seen as either attractive or a role model and would it be better even though both the DC and Marvel universes are already full of female characters who are not only feminine but conform to the highest of conventional and unrealistic beauty standards(Carol in her Warbird/Ms Marvel costume for instance), it's actually quite funny the character is relatively quite feminine(her new design still has heels) but once you give her the haircut and a less T&A focused outfit that you realise how much thing like long hair and large chest are the absolute norm amongst superheroine design(which is messed up btw),
    I'm definitely happy that Anka at least tries to demonstrate diversity in body and face types (the former more successfully than the latter), and wish more artist did the same. I'm not always too keen on his design sense as far as superheroes are concerned, and wish they threw more design work Chris Samnee's way, who I think finds the balance of modern, practical and superhero much better than Anka.

Mighty Member

But those aren't Marvel's premier female with a movie on the way, and aside from Jessica are all new characters whose staying power remains untested
    They all

ALL

sell more than Carol

by a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarahardy View Post
    Nothing wrong with long hair. I'm writing a alien matriarch culture for a novel currently and long hair among the female regals is used to represent their supreme authority. Just stop looking at long hair as a problem and learn to have fun with it. XD

There's a lot of ways to depict long hair, which makes creating characters with long hair fun. Short hair, on the other hand, has fewer variations because you can't style it as much. That's not to say there aren't variations, but IMO there just is not as many.

I'm not fond of the really short hair either, but if they want to go that route, go ahead. However, they have their work cut out for them. KSD's run got Carol a dedicated cult following that basically failed to impact on the charts based on the scattered data that did leak out into the public sphere. If Carol's going to get a defining run that will inspire the film about her, it has to be now, they cannot screw it up.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    They all

ALL

sell more than Carol

by a lot
    I'm not sure the point of this comment. Are you agreeing with Legion_quest that women drawn more feminine sell better? Or are you saying that they're sales imply they'll survive long term? Or are you saying Captain Marvel isn't Marvel's premier female character?

Either way I think your adding to his point and Carol's recent trend of looking less and less feminine hurting her sales whether that was your intention or not.

As to the first option it's interesting to note that as hard as Marvel is pushing Captain Marvel they still have yet to give her an A-list artist (maybe because they always ignore running orders and make her way more feminine looking). As to the next point I think you need to look at the sales drop off between those other series, only Spider-Woman and Ms Marvel has stabilized (obviously we don't know the digital sales) . Gwen and Silk are still losing lots of readers every month (shame since I love Silk). Finally, yes Carol is currently the most promoted MCU female character in the comics. Though I'd argue Gwen has become their premier comic only female character with Ms Marvel just behind based on advertising anyway.
    Current Pull List (updated for ANAD): Star Wars □ Darth Vader □ Lando □ Chewbacca □ Kanan □ uh... alot of ANAD but I still have decided what yet, lol

Except that that audience is unlikely to buy enough to keep a comic afloat.

It just seems odd to me that as Marvel is gearing up to bring Carol as Captain Marvel to the big screen, they then put out a design that, if you didnt know it was a woman and were just a random person in a comic book shop looking to pick up something new or coming on board because you've heard the name mentioned as a film but know nothing, does look like a 20 something young guy, and that kinda defeats the object of putting out a female lead book.

If your main character does not automatically look female, and in these promo images she really does not, then are you really pushing a female lead, or are you sort of saying that unless the character isn't that feminine, it probably wont get over?

I'm a fan of Carol, I dont like her using the name Captain Marvel (as I think Hulkling should have that name for the fact that it's his dad's actual name, nothing to do with gender equality), but I really want her to succeed as Marvel's version of Wonder Woman. I just find it odd that Marvel seem to feel putting out a de-feminised version is the way to put across positive feminine images in comics.

It's great that she is going to be charge and seemingly a very important, no nonsense military strong female.....but why does she seemingly need to de-feminise to do that?

Wouldn't it be better for her to be all that and still take pride in the fact she is an attractive feminine role model?
    1) I think you need to rethink your notion of the word "feminine." Carol's a woman - she's feminine, regardless of her hairstyle or bodyshape. (and this is ONE artist's drawing - we all know that other artists will likely give her the curves you require to think of her as "feminine" and Anka's proportions are actually more to real life)
    2) You mention that they're bringing Carol to the big screen, but this kind of costume is the kind of thing that *would* work in live-action. There's no way an audience would take Captain Marvel seriously if she were wearing a one-piece bathing suit with thigh-high boots. That's what B-movies are for because in live-action, it would look ridiculous.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordRyus View Post
    I'm not sure the point of this comment. Are you agreeing with Legion_quest that women drawn more feminine sell better? Or are you saying that they're sales imply they'll survive long term? Or are you saying Captain Marvel isn't Marvel's premier female character?

Either way I think your adding to his point and Carol's recent trend of looking less and less feminine hurting her sales whether that was your intention or not.

As to the first option it's interesting to note that as hard as Marvel is pushing Captain Marvel they still have yet to give her an A-list artist (maybe because they always ignore running orders and make her way more feminine looking). As to the next point I think you need to look at the sales drop off between those other series, only Spider-Woman and Ms Marvel has stabilized (obviously we don't know the digital sales) . Gwen and Silk are still losing lots of readers every month (shame since I love Silk). Finally, yes Carol is currently the most promoted MCU female character in the comics. Though I'd argue Gwen has become their premier comic only female character with Ms Marvel just behind based on advertising anyway.
    I'm saying that Captain Marvel isn't Marvel's priemer anything. And how feminine or not feminine she looks has nothing to do with that.

He was complaining that Marvel was making women look less feminine, because Carol is less 'feminine', when that's decidedly not true in many instances(less sexualized sure, but less feminine?). And I don't think Carol's change in looks is going to have any sort of resounding affect in her sale numbers. Because Carol herself never sold, Captain Marvel(no matter the iteration: Be it Carol, Mar-vell, Genis Vell or Monica Rambeau) has never sold. Being feminine or not isn't going to change that. And Marvel has always tried, always, long before the idea of a movie came around, and it always falls through. The movie may change things, or it'll do nothing for the title or her.

They could dress Carol up like Lady Death and I bet she'd still come in last place of the female led solos. Cause she already does and always has. And the same would be true if Mar-Vell was resurrected after 30+ years and got the title back.

The only 'Marvel' title that's ever sold not embarrassing numbers was jean grey and Kamala.
    Last edited by ZephyrSurf; 06-23-2015 at 06:01 PM.

Attachment 23771 not very long here either for the record all i care about is we might get a carol book i like which has happened in ages i buy and keep hoping

Astonishing Member

sure
    ill pick it up

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Women with short hair still have sex appeal, hence the internet going gaga for Ruby Rose.
    I'm guessing when FlashingSabre says completely different person, they mean her body type. Carol has always been stacked in the T&A department. This just doesn't look like her, physically.

However, I enjoy Anka's art and loved Agent Carter so I'm going to continue following Carol's adventures.
    Hank Pym: You're taking over? Come on, give me one good reason why—
    Iron Man: Three words. You're. Hank. Pym.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    I'm guessing when FlashingSabre says completely different person, they mean her body type. Carol has always been stacked in the T&A department. This just doesn't look like her, physically.

However, I enjoy Anka's art and loved Agent Carter so I'm going to continue following Carol's adventures.
    Anka simply isn't a boob guy when he draws. Imagine this by Horn or Land...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve068 View Post
    Anka simply isn't a boob guy when he draws. Imagine this by Horn or Land...
    It is a valid point. I doubt there's some Marvel mandate defining her cup size. This is, in part, just his style. Other artists will continue to draw her body in their own style, which may or may not be hyper curvy.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve068 View Post
    Anka simply isn't a boob guy when he draws.
    I've seen plenty of Anka's art, but imagine we had never seen this new look before and she shows up at an Avengers meeting where everyone is wearing their street clothes. I'm quite sure a lot of people wouldn't even know she was.
    Hank Pym: You're taking over? Come on, give me one good reason why—
    Iron Man: Three words. You're. Hank. Pym.