Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Most hideous incarnation of Hell.

From all of pop culture, literature, or where ever, which incarnation of Hell is the most hideous? For me, the Hellraiser franchise's Hell always scared the sh*t out of me when I was younger. But then again the Hell from the movie "What dreams may come" was also very horrible, a personal Hell. Or is Hell other people as the old saying goes? What are your guys' opinion?

image.jpg

Edit: Please try and just stay away from religious debate, I'm just asking what Hell is the worst you've seen in fiction.
    Last edited by Cotton; 05-27-2014 at 04:11 AM.

The one where you can see what the loved ones you left behind, but you're powerless to intercede to come to their when bad things happen, and unable to be with them to share their joy and happiness when good things happ...oh wait, sorry. That's supposed to be 'heaven'.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    The one where you can see what the loved ones you left behind, but you're powerless to intercede to come to their when bad things happen, and unable to be with them to share their joy and happiness when good things happ...oh wait, sorry. That's supposed to be 'heaven'.
    Well all religious implications aside, hypothetically, if you were looking down from heaven to see your loved ones suffering, being dead you would know that life's just a farce anyway and that they'd be joining you soon.

Again all religious implications aside, I don't want this thread to became a religious discussion.

"No, I'm afraid we don't have any toilets. If you'd read your bible, you might have seen it was Damnation... without relief"

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Elevator. "The Girl from Ipanema" by the Mantovani Strings on a loop.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Elevator. "The Girl from Ipanema" by the Mantovani Strings on a loop.
    On the plus side, you could pretend you're The Blues Brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCooper View Post
    You know, the DMV in bigger cities are pretty bad, but the one here in my town of about 62,000 people isn't so bad. I usually spend, at most, 30 minutes there every time I've went.

Jack's Hell is pretty hideous.

As a PC gamer a couple of decades ago I thought Doom II was a hideous (but fun) incarnation of Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    One of the better depictions of that one...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8mmxqIUNzU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smlqmXYqeA8
    "Loudly proclaiming that you are above childish things isn't a sign of maturity - it's proof of adolescence." - Schnitzy Pretzelpants

Co-host of The 'Mike & Pól Save The Universe' Comics podcast - check it out on www.mikeandpol.com

I have a fondness for Wayne Barlowe's depiction of Hell in his artbook 'Inferno'.
    http://waynebarlowe.wordpress.com/artwork/hell/
    "Loudly proclaiming that you are above childish things isn't a sign of maturity - it's proof of adolescence." - Schnitzy Pretzelpants

Co-host of The 'Mike & Pól Save The Universe' Comics podcast - check it out on www.mikeandpol.com

The lads from Primus would agree with you...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M_jh4CA8a8

Quote Originally Posted by Pól Rua View Post
    I have a fondness for Wayne Barlowe's depiction of Hell in his artbook 'Inferno'.
    http://waynebarlowe.wordpress.com/artwork/hell/
    Oh yeah I seem to remember that you had posted this in the original thread in the old CBR. Still good artwork.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I remember that was an entrance to hell in Reaper.

This is a pretty horrifying interpretation (helped by the fact that it's described by a bunch of uber-faithful who implicitly endorse it).

As far as comics go, there's obviously Swamp Thing and Sandman's take. But when I think hell from there, I think Jason Aaron's take on it in his first arc on Wolverine:

"There's no sun down here. No sky at all. Nothing to orient yourself by. Nothing to mark the passage of time. I have no idea how long I've been here. Hours. Days. Years. I'm not sure those words even have meaning for me anymore. Still got what looks like flesh, but there's no heart beating in my chest. No air in my lungs. The blood in my veins is cold and dead. Yet I still hunger. Still thirst. Still long for a sleep I know will never come. Still hurt. That's all you ever really do in this place. You hurt."

And aside from the neverending beating, including by loved ones so broken they're willing to torture those they cared about in life for a fraction of a second of relief, and getting crucified on top of that, here's a description of the terrain and some of the other punishments offered in hell for Wolverine:

"There's always screaming. And the scent of burning flesh. And from all around, an endless runoff of blood. The ground is thick bloody muck. The air rough and jagged, like breathing in shards of glass. Every day there are new torments and tortures. Sometimes they boil you in the river until you think your eyeballs are going to melt out of your skull. Other times they drag you into the deepest of caves, so cold your blood freezes into icicles as it spills. Sometimes they make you watch an endless parade of your own sins and regrets. Your failed loves. Your friends you couldn't save. Other times they lock you in a seclusion so complete, you become convinced you'll be alone for the rest of eternity. Then there are the meat gardens and the fields of submission. The gore bogs and child kennels. The forests of steaming viscera. The flesh-feasts and scream choirs. The pig-faced fly keepers. The pus babies. The skin sculptors with their switchblade tongues and corkscrew fingers. The lepers who lug the face-sacks filled with rats. The sad little girl with the pliers and the basket of fingernails. The women who give birth to rabid dogs. The men who put the maggots inside you. There are the things the demons do to you, the tortures both physical and mental. And also the things you do to each other. Omega Red comes by routinely to spritz himself with my blood, like a lady at a perfume counter. Ogun and Shingen take turns cutting me open and stomping on the things that fall out. White Ghost unleashes streams of well-placed bullets and barely decipherable profanities. Sabertooth festoons the walls with my innards."
    Buh-bye