Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Oh my God Guy Gardner is looking amazing right now.

Every Lantern except Simon Baz is accounted for right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    Damn. This was awesome. No idea that we'd see that familiar face either.

On a side note, how many books is Bunn writing?!
    He's writing 6 that I know of at the moment. Lobo, Aquaman, Lost Army, Sinestro, Magneto, Brides of Helheim(might have finished don't know).

I hope his quality does not go down with all of these books.

I love how all the Lantern Books, while being their own entity, still connect with one another. Like you know something has happened with the Green Lanterns in all of the books, and I feel like you will learn bit by bit from each individual one.

Always Rakzo

Uff, where do I begin?

Bunn continues his DC work by not presenting anything interesting whatsoever, the ideas, characterization and story are nothing to write about. Even worse is that he uses the soldier characterization for John Stewart which is a downgrade from the architect one that Jensen was using.

Saiz' work was beautiful though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Uff, where do I begin?

Bunn continues his DC work by not presenting anything interesting whatsoever, the ideas, characterization and story are nothing to write about. Even worse is that he uses the soldier characterization for John Stewart which is a downgrade from the architect one that Jensen was using.

I mean personally, this is for me. When you are leading a small team, in an unknown location, where you are getting attacked by hostiles, and none of you know what's going on, how you got there, or where the rest of your squad is at.

You would need a solider for this exact situation.

All-New Member

Enjoyed this - I'm a big John Stewart fan - so great to see him take charge and his skillset as a marine sniper in his past life. I really liked Krona's characterization! Looking forward to the second issue!

Quote Originally Posted by kivatt View Post
    I mean personally, this is for me. When you are leading a small team, in an unknown location, where you are getting attacked by hostiles, and none of you know what's going on, how you got there, or where the rest of your squad is at.

Right. It wouldn't make very much sense for John Stewart to be pondering how aggression can be a useful tool for a leader and then have a flashback to him sitting at a drafting table. I never got why people think it's bad when someone touches on John being a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Right. It wouldn't make very much sense for John Stewart to be pondering how aggression can be a useful tool for a leader and then have a flashback to him sitting at a drafting table. I never got why people think it's bad when someone touches on John being a Marine.
    The way I see it, John's marine aspect has been on the forefront of his comic characterization for too long and is one of the main reason certain folk think he's "boring". Personally, I just find his architectural background more interesting. I don't mind it, but I just wish it was a better mix.

Quote Originally Posted by HereNThere View Post
    The way I see it, John's marine aspect has been on the forefront of his comic characterization for too long and is one of the main reason certain folk think he's "boring". Personally, I just find his architectural background more interesting. I don't mind it, but I just wish it was a better mix.
    But the solider aspect is the most appropriate aspect of him in this situation.

agreed. i really dislike the stoic stone-faced John Stewart. i much prefer the pre-JL cartoon John.

there have been many stories (be it books or movies) about average citizens becoming great leaders. people dont always need to have military backgrounds in order to have great leadership skills. plus i like the idea of John calling on his architect background to construct a battle plan. his ability to see how things fit together used to map out a plan of attack. something along those lines.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Uff, where do I begin?

I usually agree with your takes, but I think this opens up a world (worlds?) of possibilities. I really enjoyed this issue and the start of this concept a lot

I loved this! It was great to have that feel of not knowing what was coming next. Where this is leading I haven't a clue but I'm along for the ride.

John's background in architecture still comes up a lot. For instance, during the recent Van Jensen run of GLC, he designed the plans for the Green Lantern Corps headquarters on Mogo, and he used his knowledge of structures to his advantage in several battles.

Speaking of Jensen's run, I wonder if John's Star Sapphire ring will come into play in this series. Guy is wearing two rings at once. I wonder if John will try that at some point.

John's background in architecture still comes up a lot. For instance, during the recent Van Jensen run of GLC, he designed the plans for the Green Lantern Corps headquarters on Mogo, and he used his knowledge of structures to his advantage in several battles.

Speaking of Jensen's run, I wonder if John's Star Sapphire ring will come into play in this series. Guy is wearing two rings at once. I wonder if John will try that at some point.
    His series was what I was referring too when I mentioned a better mix. In that book, it was awesome, but I'm worried we are going to skew too far to the marine bit again like it was during Johns' tenure on the GL series.

I enjoyed this issue!

Quote Originally Posted by kivatt View Post

I agree.

I think the way Cullen Bunn blended John Stewart's past and present that relates to the current situation is one of the best parts in this issue for me. That was an excellent execution imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    agreed. i really dislike the stoic stone-faced John Stewart. i much prefer the pre-JL cartoon John.

there have been many stories (be it books or movies) about average citizens becoming great leaders. people dont always need to have military backgrounds in order to have great leadership skills. plus i like the idea of John calling on his architect background to construct a battle plan. his ability to see how things fit together used to map out a plan of attack. something along those lines.
    See a solider would actually be the best in that situation. Constructing a battle plan, leading a small group, trying to find people, getting a good view of the terrain, mapping out attacks, as well as ways to survey the scene, scout ahead, figure out enemy weak points. That's a perfect job for a soldier That is literally what they are trained to do.

I don't see how the architect part can be a better fit than his marine aspect on this issue. It's not like John Stewart and others are out battling against these sentient beings on a surface where there's buildings and such. They're out and fighting in space where John has no choice but to use his marine background experience.

But I think some others don't like how his Marine background gets touched upon from writers, because they feel it takes away his pre JL personality.