Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kid_omega_prime View Post
    Oh well I thought maybe that golden age jay and the others were rebooted and transferred to the new earth-2. Like in c,o,i,e's when earth one, two, four and earth-s came to become new earth then the heroes were rebooted. Well most anyway
    It's all a matter of perspective. There are two schools of thought. One is the individuals who lived on Earths 1, 2, etc. were transformed into the versions that lived on the post-Crisis Earth. The other theory is that those individuals simply ceased to exist and then new individuals who happen to be similar to them exist in the new universe.

I personally am more comfortable with the second theory. It's not like the pre-Crisis Superman and the post-Crisis Superman just had a few changes to his timeline. The very nature of the planet they come from changed, and the physics of how his powers work changed, not to mention the period of time he inhabited (allowing for the sliding timeline to somewhat reset when these events happen). That's not just the same person with a few changes - that's a completely different person.

The second theory also seems to make more sense considering how different the pre- and post-Flashpoint versions of Jay Garrick, Alan Scott, etc. are.

It's kinda like if my house burned down and I bought a new house with new furniture. The new stuff might look kinda like the old, but it's not like it's the same stuff.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Mildly redirecting the thread for a moment, but ever since the "fretboard" theory of multiverses, back in Return of Bruce Wayne, I've been curious about chords in the multiverse, but I don't imagine we'll see it explored in the DCU.

And, it took me a weird amount of time to adjust to the 52/local multiverse being suspended in the fifth dimension, but that's a lot more elegant and simple than i wanted it to be. The multiverse, the orrery of worlds, w'ev, it isn't in a place or a time, it has places and times as part of it, but it's in our heads, in our understanding, or someone's understanding of it, if it's anywhere.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Mildly redirecting the thread for a moment, but ever since the "fretboard" theory of multiverses, back in Return of Bruce Wayne, I've been curious about chords in the multiverse, but I don't imagine we'll see it explored in the DCU.

And, it took me a weird amount of time to adjust to the 52/local multiverse being suspended in the fifth dimension, but that's a lot more elegant and simple than i wanted it to be. The multiverse, the orrery of worlds, w'ev, it isn't in a place or a time, it has places and times as part of it, but it's in our heads, in our understanding, or someone's understanding of it, if it's anywhere.
    Gah! Morrisonian hippie-freak nonsense