Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I was just being a nudje.

But besides MJ, what Ultmate and Spider-Man Loves MJ have in common are that both are modern takes on the character in high school. This seems to be the relevant takeaway to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Whoa, he's reading Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane? Hardcore. And maybe a little insight there into what to expect as far as love interest.
    If he wants comics with a modern sensibility depicting Peter in high school, there aren't many alternatives.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

There's still Spectacular Spider-Man, the cartoon .

Astonishing Member

Without having watched any movie by him before i can only guess whether this choice will be good for the Spider-Man movies or not.
    The movie being made in part by the Marvel studios though makes me think the new director was well choosen,based on the track record of Marvel Studios in the movies.

So I actually watched Cop Car. It's not really the kind of movie you sit there and watch and then think "this director would be PERFECT for Spider-Man!!!" (But I'm not a Hollywood executive, so what do I know?)

(The basic premise is two young boys who ran away from their homes come along a cop car that was left behind by a rather corrupt sheriff played by Kevin Bacon.)

There are some nice little character moments between the two boys.

And Kevin Bacon wouldn't make a bad Spidey villain.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Cop Car was a real good flick.

Hopefully this doesn't keep him from doing more stuff like it...

PS: get Kevin Bacon a role in this!
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-17-2015 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    So I actually watched Cop Car. It's not really the kind of movie you sit there and watch and then think "this director would be PERFECT for Spider-Man!!!" (But I'm not a Hollywood executive, so what do I know?)

(The basic premise is two young boys who ran away from their homes come along a cop car that was left behind by a rather corrupt sheriff played by Kevin Bacon.)

There are some nice little character moments between the two boys.

And Kevin Bacon wouldn't make a bad Spidey villain.
    I guess Feige just liked Watts' style of directing or what he was able to bring out from the actors, and thought having him be a part of the MCU might be cool?

A part of it might also be that, despite whatever pedigree the writers or directors might have, the new Spider-Man is probably going to have some heavy Marvel involvement considering how important the character is to them, how much Feige cares about the character, and that it's his first MCU film after a disastrous previous movie franchise.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Gwen Stacy?

Angelica Jones?

If I recall, Peter and Mary Jane were never actually a couple in that book.
    Well if Peters 15 again, wasn't his first love interest Betty Brant at the time. There's also Liz Allen and Deborah Whitman.

I haven't mentioned Black Cat after MJ his most major love interest as I doubt she will be around until he's older but the above seem very school oriented

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Without having watched any movie by him before i can only guess whether this choice will be good for the Spider-Man movies or not.
    The movie being made in part by the Marvel studios though makes me think the new director was well choosen,based on the track record of Marvel Studios in the movies.
    I think that's a slightly overrated record. The Hulk films, the first Cap America film and Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron are all pretty awful.

And don't forget F4 (yes I know it's not Marvel) was originally an unknown director with great ideas and look how that turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauled View Post
    I think that's a slightly overrated record. The Hulk films, the first Cap America film and Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron are all pretty awful.

And don't forget F4 (yes I know it's not Marvel) was originally an unknown director with great ideas and look how that turned out.
    I liked Captain America: TFA. (Not as much as Winter Soldier, but WS might just be their best film.) I don't understand why that movie is so divisive on the internet.

Well if Peters 15 again, wasn't his first love interest Betty Brant at the time. There's also Liz Allen and Deborah Whitman.

I haven't mentioned Black Cat after MJ his most major love interest as I doubt she will be around until he's older but the above seem very school oriented
    Deb was not a high school contemporary and probably has close to 0% chance of being in the new film. Liz or Betty? Maybe. But Marvel doesn't seem to care about them. After ASM, Marvel and Sony are probably looking to stick with one actress they have under contract and keep her as much as possible. And given the way the director has been talking, it'll probably be MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess Feige just liked Watts' style of directing or what he was able to bring out from the actors, and thought having him be a part of the MCU might be cool?

A part of it might also be that, despite whatever pedigree the writers or directors might have, the new Spider-Man is probably going to have some heavy Marvel involvement considering how important the character is to them, how much Feige cares about the character, and that it's his first MCU film after a disastrous previous movie franchise.
    I mean, I was entertained by Cop Car. It's relatively short, has decent pacing, and some good character moments. And Kevin Bacon would do a fine job as a Spidey villain.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 10-18-2015 at 10:23 PM.

Just speaking personally, I liked Age of Ultron a lot (though perhaps not as much as the first one), and enjoyed the first Captain America and The Incredible Hulk. And in my humble opinion, The Guardians of the Galaxy, The Winter Soldier, and Ant-Man were some of the MCU's best films yet. (I don't think Ang Lee's Hulk is considered part of the MCU.) Even Marvel's lesser films like Iron Man 2 are more popcorn flicks than truly awful features, at least in my admittedly subjective opinion.

So my faith in Marvel and Feige is pretty rock solid--especially when compared to Sony.

Either way, I wish Jon Watts the best of luck.

Astonishing Member

I enjoyed all the Marvel Studios movies i have watched so far.
    I have only not watched the Ant-Man movie (because i have never had much interest in the character in the comics) but will watch it eventually.
    Of course there are movies that are better that others,for example Iron Man 3 and the last Hulk movie are the ones i enjoyed less,even so i would not say they are actually bad movies,just not as good as the other movies.
    Guardians of the Galaxy,Avengers movies,the Captain America movies,the Thor movies (more the first one),the first two Iron Man movies are the best MCU movies to me.