Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A solution for those upset about the New Marvel U.

So, not everyone is happy with the changes that will be taking place in the Marvel Universe moving forward this fall season and Marvel may stand to lose some long time readers as a result. But the publisher also stands to gain some new readers due to the new start as well that could make up for the loss of existing crowd, either which way there is a line in the sand and not everyone is happy....but I think I have a solution...

Why not create a small pocket universe consisting of 4-6 ongoing titles that are separate from the new MU that puts a focus on Parker as Spider-Man, Rogers as Captain America, Banner as Hulk, classic Thor, and so on and so forth? It could pick up where things left off for fans of the existing MU or it could be all new stories based around these characters who live within the original 616, but the focus will be on the fact that these are the classic heroes who readers have been enjoying for the past however many years. Call the line "Marvel Originals" or "Marvel Classic" or something and watch the fans quickly change their tune. Just make sure that readers know that it isn't connected to the new Marvel U and that this is a true continuation of what they loved before. It could be a success! Hell, even if it was just one giant 64 page monthly book for $5.99 I'm sure fans would be appreciative to have it as long as it's the classic heroes they know and love. Personally I'm excited for the new universe but I do want fans of what came before to be happy also, this could help.

Just a thought
    Last edited by GhostlyRetro; 06-29-2015 at 08:26 AM.
    Http://theretroghost.blogspot.com

Follow me on Twitter @GhostlyRetro - Posting anything & everything retro! Comics, toys, videogames, pics, thoughts, ramblings, ect....

That would cause so much confusion with fans unfortunately.

BANNED

I would say that's a bad idea just for the fact that, if you're Marvel, you can't hedge your bets and half-ass your decisions. You've got to commit to your creative choices and hope that they'll be embraced. It's either the Marvel Universe or it isn't so giving some fans the option of reading about a pocket Marvel U where everything's still the same would just make it look like they're not confident in the other stuff they're doing. It's a losing proposition.

I imagine that, despite the anxiousness of some fans, that when all the cards are finally on the table and we actually see what shape the new Marvel U has taken, that the response will be largely positive. Just a hunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    That's why you have to brand it correctly and promote it for what it is. "Fans" won't be confused, if anything the casual reader or kids would be the ones who wouldn't understand at a glance, but the market isn't catered toward kids or casuals anymore like it once was.
    Http://theretroghost.blogspot.com

Follow me on Twitter @GhostlyRetro - Posting anything & everything retro! Comics, toys, videogames, pics, thoughts, ramblings, ect....

Does seem right now that a lot of the criticism is the usual song and dance "fear-mongering" that is always present whenever there is always something new, so as said, best to wait and see once things actually start up.

I think that would defeat the whole point of Marvel's new initiative to be different that what they were before Secret Wars. Just like DC did with the New 52, they are moving forward and not looking back... Until 4 years pass and they do some sort of Convergence type thing to make people who cant move on happy for a month.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, The Flash, Aquaman, Titans, Justice League, HJATGL, Supergirl, Superwoman, DC Bombshells
    Marvel: CANCELLED (good luck with your seasonal approach and constant reboots... I'll miss the characters though)
    Zenescope: Grimm Fairy Tales

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    That's exactly why they won't do that and doing so would only solve one problem among one group of fans anyway. For myself I like the idea of new faces under established mantles because I think it brings something new and refreshing to those identities so that is not the reason I'm dropping Marvel. I'm dropping Marvel because of the constant events, crossovers and relaunches, which I feel are going to hamper the growth of those characters and the stories themselves. It's difficult for me to get excited here because these new titles are going to get preempted by whatever the next event is and the story will then stall out while it's running. I'm not interested in going through all that malarkey again so I'm out.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 06-29-2015 at 08:48 AM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I imagine that, despite the anxiousness of some fans, that when all the cards are finally on the table and we actually see what shape the new Marvel U has taken, that the response will be largely positive. Just a hunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Does seem right now that a lot of the criticism is the usual song and dance "fear-mongering" that is always present whenever there is always something new, so as said, best to wait and see once things actually start up.
    I'm pretty sure this is the case. People still crying after ANAD Marvel starts are going to cry about everything because it's not the way the comics were when they first start reading them. Life is change. Adapt or get left behind. And let's be honest, the changes coming to Marvel won't be that radical.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

Quote Originally Posted by GhostlyRetro View Post
    So, not everyone is happy with the changes that will be taking place in the Marvel Universe moving forward this fall season and Marvel may stand to lose some long time readers as a result. But the publisher also stands to gain some new readers due to the new start as well that could make up for the loss of existing crowd, either which way there is a line in the sand and not everyone is happy....but I think I have a solution...

Why not create a small pocket universe consisting of 4-6 ongoing titles that are separate from the new MU that puts a focus on Parker as Spider-Man, Rogers as Captain America, Banner as Hulk, classic Thor, and so on and so forth? It could pick up where things left off for fans of the existing MU or it could be all new stories based around these characters who live within the original 616, but the focus will be on the fact that these are the classic heroes who readers have been enjoying for the past however many years. Call the line "Marvel Originals" or "Marvel Classic" or something and watch the fans quickly change their tune. Just make sure that readers know that it isn't connected to the new Marvel U and that this is a true continuation of what they loved before. It could be a success! Hell, even if it was just one giant 64 page monthly book for $5.99 I'm sure fans would be appreciative to have it as long as it's the classic heroes they know and love. Personally I'm excited for the new universe but I do want fans of what came before to be happy also, this could help.

Just a thought
    Honestly, I think people would continue to complain because their favorites wouldn't be the main versions anymore. There's no pleasing everyone, unfortunately.
    I do think those characters could still appear in their own series, though. They don't need to become irrelevant just because there are newer versions around. I still expect an Amazing Spider-Man relaunch featuring Peter and there's no reason Odinson and Rogers couldn't be stars of other series. I have a feeling Steve will be the new director of S.H.I.E.L.D., so that could be a good new hook for an ongoing. They could even relaunch that Captain America & Bucky title and have it set in the past.
    Thor Odinson could star in a Journey into Mystery relaunch or they could bring back the fan favorite Thor: The Mighty Avenger book. I think it would sell better now it would be the only Thor Odinson ongoing around.

Last edited by Factor; 06-29-2015 at 09:15 AM.

Amazing Member

Are you asking for a reverse Ultimate Universe? What happened to the days that we didn't know what was going to come out in the next 3-5 months? Everyone is so paranoid and write off current story lines because they know that in the next 3-5 months, due to the preview solicitations, that there's something else in the pipeline. There's always something else in the pipeline. Just take the "wait and see" approach.

For those who don't find the changes appealing, there are plenty of other avenues to pursue. I didn't like some of the stuff that happened last year so I just stopped reading. There's no one forcing you to buy anything. Here's a hint: what you decide to do with your money speaks much more loudly about your feelings on a title than constantly crying about it, or worse, continuing to buy something you're unhappy with.

Mighty Member

We JUST got rid of the ultimate universe. Do we really wanna see what too see what sounds like Ultimate 2.0?

BANNED

Nah. Let them put up with the changes like other fans have always had to do. Can't just create a new alternate universe every time someone doesn't like a particular direction a title takes.

They could always bring back Marvel Adventures, or do a similar all-ages book, and have that focus on the classic versions of characters. Of course, Marvel won't do that because they've already got their cartoon based comics that mostly just rehash the stories of the cartoons with still-images, but it would be nice nonetheless .

I remember when the Ultimate line was the place where Marvel could do big, dramatic, and interesting (sometimes) changes to the characters there while leaving the classic versions as themselves or relatively untouched in 616. I know I enjoyed having Miles in his own dimension as the main Spider-Man and was much more fine with it because Peter was still the Spider-Man of 616, and the prospect of Miles possibly replacing him as Spider-Man in the new 616 is iffy with me .

I'd probably have been much more angry at how they killed off Wolverine if he wasn't still alive in 616 proper. Well, obviously he's dead now in both universes, but that's how it was at the time .

BANNED

If they actually gain 10 000s of fans that'd be great. But I doubt it will happen. I like change, I don't feel like we're really getting any. I'm also fine with Peter being replaced as Spider-Man by Miles or Gwen or whoever. I'd be a lot more excited if those characters were their own instead of "Spider-Man".
    Last edited by DDD; 06-29-2015 at 12:03 PM.