Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wait, so one of the reasons for retconning Magneto as the twins' parent was to not have them seem older? Was this explicitly stated?
    Except the fix doesn't actually fix this, since it's still the case (unless this changes when we come back from Secret Wars) that everybody thought they were Magneto's kids for years and the timeline made enough sense that nobody questioned it on that basis. So, the twins still need to be just as old (chronologically speaking, with the suspended animation or whatever) as ever, or everybody would have been counting on their fingers and going, "Uh, but hey, guys, aren't you too young for the cow woman's story to make sense?". Changing their actual origin doesn't change that.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Except the fix doesn't actually fix this, since it's still the case (unless this changes when we come back from Secret Wars) that everybody thought they were Magneto's kids for years and the timeline made enough sense that nobody questioned it on that basis. So, the twins still need to be just as old (chronologically speaking, with the suspended animation or whatever) as ever, or everybody would have been counting on their fingers and going, "Uh, but hey, guys, aren't you too young for the cow woman's story to make sense?". Changing their actual origin doesn't change that.
    Sure it does: The High Evolutionary lied.

The retcon before, to allow them to be Magneto's children, was that the High Evolutionary had kept them in suspended animation all those years. Now, that is obviously not the case. He'd been working other shenanigans on them while they were in his possession (for a now undefined period of time).
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Sure it does: The High Evolutionary lied.

The retcon before, to allow them to be Magneto's children, was that the High Evolutionary had kept them in suspended animation all those years. Now, that is obviously not the case. He'd been working other shenanigans on them while they were in his possession (for a now undefined period of time).
    I guess I should say it doesn't fix it any more than the suspended animation dodge used to... before, they were biologically and to all appearances pretty young adults, even though chronologically in order to be his kids from that date they were a lot older. Now they're apparently young both biologically and chronologically, but I'm not sure how much younger that really makes them seem.

And note that there's another part of their origin story that is tied to a specific date and has not been addressed by this retcon at all... the fact that the night they were born was the night of the dark storm that was a sign of Chthon's malign influence over Wundagore Mountain, and gave Wanda her connection to Chthon's chaos magic. A storm that was known to the Romani and other people in the area, not just attested by the High Evolutionary and Bova, so changing their parentage doesn't change the date of their birth.

And yes, Chthon has appeared and referenced his connection to Wanda and Pietro since Disassembled, so this is still in continuity, despite Bendis having Dr. Strange forget about it.

The ending of the book makes me think that there may be a bit of lovecraftian stuff involved in the twins' conception, at least in Wanda's. The High Evolutinary didn't tell them and tried to pass them for normal babies he experimented on because despite being a douchevillain, he doesn't want to risk Wanda trying to contact her daddy Chthon/Shuma Gorath/Seth/whatever and opening a gate to the Many Angled Ones.
    Last edited by Habis; 06-28-2015 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    The ending of the book makes me think that there may be a bit of lovecraftian stuff involved in the twins' conception, at least in Wanda's. The High Evolutinary didn't tell them and tried to pass them for normal babies he experimented on because despite being a douchevillain, he doesn't want to risk Wanda trying to contact her daddy Chthon/Shuma Gorath/Seth/whatever and opening a gate to the Many Angled Ones.
    Except it's not at all like she doesn't know about the connection to Chthon anyway. Or are you talking about originally? Yeah, her and Pietro as Whateleys is a potentially interesting concept. Of course, they could always go full Mythos and say that was the true origin of all mutants and X-genes and other powers...

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Except it's not at all like she doesn't know about the connection to Chthon anyway. Or are you talking about originally? Yeah, her and Pietro as Whateleys is a potentially interesting concept. Of course, they could always go full Mythos and say that was the true origin of all mutants and X-genes and other powers...
    Well, about the 95 % of named Gypsies in the MU are witches or sorcerers...what if Wanda's mom was the kind of witch that appears in Japanese anime? You know, the kind that summons tentacled demons...

Whelp, Rogue will remain an Uncanny Avenger... She is your hero now too. Lets start getting some love going and making it more welcoming for Rogue fans.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    Whelp, Rogue will remain an Uncanny Avenger... She is your hero now too. Lets start getting some love going and making it more welcoming for Rogue fans.
    I don't think Avengers fans really hated Rogue, did they? The book sure wanted us to, but I just thought she wasn't well used and went from "I hate Wanda and will kill her" to "I like Wanda now" with no justification.

If the Avengers are going to hold on to her, I'd like to see Duggan actually look at her character history and figure out how she would adjust to being away from her "home" team, the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I don't think Avengers fans really hated Rogue, did they? The book sure wanted us to, but I just thought she wasn't well used and went from "I hate Wanda and will kill her" to "I like Wanda now" with no justification.

If the Avengers are going to hold on to her, I'd like to see Duggan actually look at her character history and figure out how she would adjust to being away from her "home" team, the X-Men.
    I'd like to see this as well. Rogue's story is tied to her being apart of the X-Men's family and Xavier's dream. It is a big deal that she would leave her family to become an Avenger. I hope they touch on her missing her family and what it means to her to fight along side the Avengers now. Hopefully she will have a more powerful storyline and character development.

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    She has always been our hero too! You know we love her!

I'm actually really happy that she's staying, and that Steve's coming back too. I hope Spider-man is Miles and not Peter though.

I'd be sad about Vision and Wanda leaving, but I'm over the freaking moon that they're both getting solos, so I can't complain.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    She has always been our hero too! You know we love her!

I'm actually really happy that she's staying, and that Steve's coming back too. I hope Spider-man is Miles and not Peter though.

I'd be sad about Vision and Wanda leaving, but I'm over the freaking moon that they're both getting solos, so I can't complain.
    Well, Miles is already on the ANAD Avengers, so having it be Peter would make more sense and it would be good to have him in one team book at least .

Fantastic Member Venom Melendez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    What a dreadful series (Even though it wasn't as bad as vol. 1) Here I was hoping for a badass friendship and leadership from the Witch and Rogue, and some great Vision moments, but all this series focused on was the pointless and overbearingly stupid Wanda and Pietro family retcon and Rogue being a damsel in distress. I hope Marvel doesn't renew this series and frees Wanda and Rogue from Remender. Truly awful.
    It's not really stupid since they considered Django and Marya Maximoff to be their real family anyway. I mean Magneto didn't raise them, he was never much of a father.

It takes more than blood to be family.

Amazing Member

So, the big spoiler of this issue is...?