Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Good move by WB.

the Confederate flag is bad
    Last edited by choptop; 11-10-2016 at 10:28 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    As the tide shifts rapidly in the national debate over the Confederate flag, Warner Bros. has announced it will stop licensing images of the iconic General Lee.

Full article here.
    I am totally fine with this. This is WB's choice. I don't care if people choose to fly the flag. If they choose to mark themselves as racist, I am totally fine with that. It makes it easier to disassociate with them.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Thankfully the rest of America never did any of the same things.
    I would be for a redesign of the USA flag too. There was some really bad stuff the US did. Genocide of the native for one.

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

I have no true love or hate for the Confederate Flag, I do think its stupid it still stands high in the South especially since it's not the Confederate government or way that succeeded to lead this country, with that said it's more stupid that believing banning the confederate flag is the way to go.. I sometimes feel waving the Confederate flag so unAmerican ironically I find banning the flag more so unAmerican .. It set a precedent that certain expression should be banned..
    Today's Millennials, Y-gen or whatever you call them believe the U.S flag is racist and should not be shown in colleges and at times are succeeding to enacting that , The General population believe that the reverse cross should not be shown because of the Satanic cult inference that popular culture states even though to devout Christians it means something else, Their are people who want the movie Gone with the Wind banned, Books with racist inference Like Tom Sawyer removed..

I find the the banning of the Confederate flag and how the general population thinks that this should be done and are fine with it SO SCARY, it got me to the point of me saying ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!!

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Oh for the love of...
    What happened was a tragedy. That shooter was an evil, awful psychotic racist, and we need this discussion about race, and wanting the Confederate flag taken down from state property is totally valid, but come on this is the Dukes of Hazzard, worrying about the Confederate flag on the Dukes of Hazzard is just silly. No one is going to turn to hate or racism because of a toy car or poster from an old and beloved by many TV show. Also, without the Confederate flag, what makes it the Dukes car/General Lee anyway? Isn't it then just a regular red car?
    This sort of thing won't help race relations. It just makes fans of the show not want to buy any new merchandise.
    I completely agree. That man was a monster. Did you see his facebook picture? He looked like a real live Demon. I also agree that it shouldn't ruin Dukes of Hazzard because it didn't encourage any racism. This reminds me of the shooting in Colorado at that movie theatre where another shot dozens of people who were watching The Dark Knight rises. DC/WB felt the need to delay Batman comics even though they shouldn't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by d.w washburn View Post
    It could actually be said that the Old TV show was doing something to actually CHANGE the meaning of the flag to something more positive and that includes moving away from racisim. But certain people can't let things go and have to keep harping on them. aka politicians.
    I know this might cancel out my first statement, I don't see how a anyone could make that flag positive anymore than people can make the Nazi symbol look positive.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    i disagree thinking changes what things are all the time.
    Action changes things. And there's no action anyone could take that would erase the history or legacy of what the Confederate flag represents. It is what it is. The fact that some people are willing to ignore what it is or pretend it's something else because it serves their own ends or makes them feel better does nothing to alter that.

Last edited by choptop; 11-10-2016 at 10:29 PM.

Seems just as ridiculous and superficial as Apple temporarily banning all civil war games for containing Confederate flags. Context is important.

BANNED

that southern confederate pride...fighting to keep blacks enslaved
    that southern confederate heritage...fighting against the civil rights of black folks

BANNED

and to start Action you have to think.
    But nothing ever changes until after someone takes action. It's the action that is the proximal catalyst for change. If thinking was all it took the world would change overnight. Everybody thinks (to varying degrees), few people (relatively speaking) actually act.

i disagree i think it is what you make it if you see it as a racist symbol it is one if you see it as a southern pride symbol it is one no ones pretending or ignoreing the past well maybe a few but as i say agree to disagree.
    Sorry, but I don't agree to disagree. Not on this one. Calling the Confederate flag a "symbol of Southern Pride" is nothing but a weak attempt to camouflage what it was actually created and intended to stand for. What, exactly, is the South so proud of, pray tell? Standing up to the Federal government when it tried to pass a law making it a crime to enslave other human beings and treat them like cattle?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Seems just as ridiculous and superficial as Apple temporarily banning all civil war games for containing Confederate flags. Context is important.
    Only if your assuming that it's actually intended to be some kind of meaningful sociopolitical gesture. Thing is, it's not. It's all about business and money, pure and simple. They're trying to head off any attempt at a potentially headline grabbing, PR nightmare of a protest/boycott against their companies for making money of the sale of a symbol, the public tolerance for which is quickly and loudly eroding. They're not trying to make any kind of "statement," they're just covering their asses and watching the bottom line.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Since it didn't take long for the cries of censorship and "erasing history", I figured I'd throw my two cents in. Stores choosing to no longer sell Confederate paraphernalia because of the negative connotations associated with it is not censorship. The Government forcing these business to remove the flag nor are they going from house to house to confiscate flags.

"But it's actually about preserving history!" If you honestly want to preserve history, then stick it in a museum. That relic has no place flying outside on Government buildings.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    This is just stupid. I'm no fan of the Confederate flag, but banning things and rewriting history is not the way to go. Lot of good it did Germany banning the Nazi flag. Now the neo-Nazis just use a different flag. Also, blaming a flag takes the blame off the racist terroristic piece of garbage who shot up the church. (Incidently the Rhodesian, Apartheid South African, and USSR flags are still available on the websites that banned the Confederate flag.)
    This is not a ban, it's the government and companies deciding to not be associated with a flag of a country designed to protect slavery. It's not some bizarre or unusual thing.

And Germany is much less anti-Semitic than it was in 1945 and hasn't elected a fascist party to power since, so I would say that denazification has been successful. The Rhodesia and Apartheid South African flags are meaningless to almost everyone in America, and the comparisons to the USSR and the Confederacy are extraordinarily loose. One is a state built upon slavery and the legal inferiority of blacks, the other is one built upon an philosophy (Marxist-Lenninism) which could only grow an economy so much, and resulted in an unaccountable government quickly taken over by ruthless dictators.

Last edited by choptop; 11-10-2016 at 10:31 PM.