Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Superman #41 Discussion

Read it.
    Well, did anyone seriously and reasonably think that DC would make Lois Lane a monster?
    Of course not, and Yang is too clever to make such a mistake.

A bit uncompressed, but great plot developments, great characterization of all the characters involved, and one of the best Lois Lane of the latest years (and The Planet, for the first time... Well, ever, vaguely resembles a real newspaper).

I liked AC a bit more because I was more interested in the new status quo, but a great issue nonetheless. I gotta admit, they hit the target this time.

By the way, do you remember that plot point from Bats/Supes?
    Well, I think that they simply decided to spoilers:
    sweep it under the rug. Maybe it is better that way
    end of spoilers

Edit. There is a spoilers:
    mechanical monstrosity, too.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Myskin; 06-24-2015 at 03:25 AM.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Read it.
    Well, did someone seriously and reasonably think that DC would have made Lois Lane a monster?
    Of course not, and Yang is too clever to make such a mistake.

A bit uncompressed, but great plot developments, great characterization of all the characters involved, and one of the best Lois Lane of the latest years (and The Planet, for the first time... Well, ever, vaguely resembles a real newspaper).

I liked AC a bit more because I was more interested in the new status quo, but a great issue nonetheless. I gotta admit, they hit the target this time.

By the way, do you remember that plot point from Bats/Supes?
    Well, I think that they simply decided to spoilers:
    sweep it under the rug. Maybe it is better that way
    end of spoilers
    Yeah, doesn't seem like it's going to be adressed. Shame.
    That being said, well....this is probably the best issue the Superman book (and not the Superman line) has produced since the start of the New 52. Yeah, that's not exactly hight praise, I know, but it was pretty good nonetheless. Lots of Clark investigative action, which is nice. Every one sounds about right, including Lois (and no, we don't know why she did what she did. In fact, so far she hasn't done it yet).One of the plot developments might give some credits to my latest theory regarding her (since someone is attempting to blackmail Clark using pictures proving his secret id). Artwise, this is Romita jr, in good and bad, and sadly, he still has a bit of a hard time drawing a good Superman, but strangely enough, his glasses Clark and his Superkent look pretty good. I guess in that regard it's a good thing the T shirt and jeans are going to be the main guy here.
    As far as flaws go....yeah, I guess it was a bit decompressed. And while awesome, the very first page with Superkent on the top of the plane doesn't seem to have much relevance to the rest of the issue. Kinda wondering if we're going to get a "After everything changes" in every issue.
    Now, with every book of "Truth" having released its first issue, my ranking would go like this:
    1) Action Comics#41
    2) Superman #41
    3) Batman/Superman # 21
    4) Superman/Wonder Woman# 18.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Yeah, doesn't seem like it's going to be adressed. Shame.
    I don't know. I didn't like that particular development, it didn't make much sense and personally speaking I hate the mind-tampering storylines. They basically made spoilers:
    the Phantom King a god,
    end of spoilers how could they get ride of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I don't know. I didn't like that particular development, it didn't make much sense and personally speaking I hate the mind-tampering storylines. They basically made spoilers:
    the Phantom King a god,
    end of spoilers how could they get ride of that?
    I thought it made for a fairly effective clifhanger.
    But, hey, that one's more on Pak than on Yang anyway.

That being said, well....this is probably the best issue the Superman book (and not the Superman line) has produced since the start of the New 52. Yeah, that's not exactly hight praise, I know, but it was pretty good nonetheless.
    Villain's Month Parasite one-shot by Kuder was pretty good I'd say, but yeah, other 99% were rather forgettable.

Always Rakzo

The writing itself was pretty good and much better than in the sneak peek, the author certainly has skills.

However, the story itself wasn't particularly impressive sadly.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Don't have much time to elaborate much here as I am on my break at work, but upon first read...not bad. Yang certainly has all the voices of the characters right. Lois (thus far) comes off well. I liked the stuff with Jimmy and the " covert suit", a bit of needed humor. Romita's art is ok...his costumed Supes is awkward but tshirt Supes and glasses Clark looks ok.
    Not a bad start. I wouldn't say it's the best issue of the SUPERMAN title so far, but easily top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Don't have much time to elaborate much here as I am on my break at work, but upon first read...not bad. Yang certainly has all the voices of the characters right. Lois (thus far) comes off well. I liked the stuff with Jimmy and the " covert suit", a bit of needed humor. Romita's art is ok...his costumed Supes is awkward but tshirt Supes and glasses Clark looks ok.
    Not a bad start. I wouldn't say it's the best issue of the SUPERMAN title so far, but easily top 5.
    Out of curiosity, what would be your top 5 issues of the Superman title?

Fantastic Member

Superman #20 is literally just a fight between Superman and Orion drawn by Kuder before he went to Action Comics so I'd put that as number one because Lobdell barely puts any words in it. The Parasite Villain's Month Issue was also really good, which is by Kuder once again.
    "If I come back from the dead one more time I'll be seriously in danger of turning into some kind of walking cliche." - Jean Grey, Uncanny X-Men #284

Anyway, probably someone already posted this theory somewhere, but heres what I think is going to happen:

1) Lois finds out that bad guy is blackmailing Clark, decides to reveal his identity so that bad guy wouldn't have an edge against him any more and Clark/Superman wouldn't have to hold back.
    2) Meanwhile Clark was playing along whit the blackmail and slowly tracking him down. Naturally he is not happy with what Lois does since its not how he wanted to sort this thing out.
    3) For dramatic points we might have Clark capturing his blackmailer minutes before Lois does her big story.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Anyway, probably someone already posted this theory somewhere, but heres what I think is going to happen:

1) Lois finds out that bad guy is blackmailing Clark, decides to reveal his identity so that bad guy wouldn't have an edge against him any more and Clark/Superman wouldn't have to hold back.
    2) Meanwhile Clark was playing along whit the blackmail and slowly tracking him down. Naturally he is not happy with what Lois does since its not how he wanted to sort this thing out.
    3) For dramatic points we might have Clark capturing his blackmailer minutes before Lois does her big story.
    I don't think that part's going to happen, because I think the one blackmailing Clark might very well be the Big Bad of "Truth". In his interviews and his blog, Yang talked about having Superman face a villain that will use information as a weapon, so I think the fact this whole "exposed identity" thing starts off with someone trying to blackmail Clark with the knowledge of his secret id is no coincidence. Which would make it very unlikely that Clark managed to neutralize him by issue 42/43.
    I agree however that 1) and 2) are very possible. I'll add that I personally think that something may happen that will make Lois feel like she can't wait for Clark to play games with the bad guy.

BANNED

Superman and Jimmy are big jerks to lois, this is The flash all over again sigh

I think that Lois has to tell Clark, it is his life and she put lot of people in danger

Out of curiosity, what would be your top 5 issues of the Superman title?
    Well. I tend to rate comics as a whole, story AND art. Writing wise I'd say clearly the best yet for this title. Romita's art though...while not terrible could be much better, and I think that;s the one area SUPERMAN excelled for the most part over it's 40+ issues, they had some great artists with Jesus Merino and George Perez starting strong. then Nicola Scott, Dan Jurgens and then Ken Rocafort.

My top 5 )weighing story and art in no particular order...

SUPERMAN #41

SUPERMAN #39 -(Johns best issue, Great characterizations for Jimmy and Clark)

SUPERMAN ANNUAL #2 (the Lois Lane centered issue drawn by Jurgens. Ironically best non SUPERMAN UNCHAINED related use of Lois in the New 52)

SUPERMAN #0: Lobdell and Rocafort's first issue. Lobdell's best issue of his run. I would actually read a KRYPTON series by him as high concepts seem to suit him. Just keep him away from the main titles)

SUPERMAN villain Months Parasite issue: Aaron Kuder writing and drawing...nuff said.

One word: FANTASTIC

I just love Jrjr's art. He gets alot of flak (im assuming its from new readers) but his art travels the timestream of superhero comics. When i look at it i see a merging of Kirby, Romita sr, buscema, frank miller, jim lee.

This was his best Superman art and the coloring was Dean Whites best.

Just a great issue, everything melding together. Which is what comics do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    One word: FANTASTIC

I just love Jrjr's art. He gets alot of flak (im assuming its from new readers) but his art travels the timestream of superhero comics. When i look at it i see a merging of Kirby, Romita sr, buscema, frank miller, jim lee.

This was his best Superman art and the coloring was Dean Whites best.

Just a great issue, everything melding together. Which is what comics do.
    His costumed Superman looks awkward, however that could be he can't quite nick the Lee suit (or his variation of it). I'd like to see how he'd do with the "classic" uniform...but the rest is ok. No complaints on his art really here.