Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

And his faith in Jimmy, the faith that led him to decide to tell him in the first place, should be evident by the fact that he's taking Jimmy for his word. That is after all, all he has. But he believed him nonetheless. That tells a whole lot more about what he thinks of him than just the fact he had the common sense to ask questions.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-27-2015 at 10:21 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Yeah, my suspicion would go straight to Jimmy Olsen, even if not for the timing of the ID reveal.
    I don't think there's any real reason to slight Jim in any way. It's rather simple: Jim was the very last person to know and it was very resent (few weeks tops) and this blackmailing business comes up now of all times (classic Jimmy bad luck). One in Clark's position would have to be in utter denial if they didn't at least suspect Jim slipped up knowingly or unknowingly. Clark makes a point to ask Jim if he may have unknowingly slipped up. He's not as used to keeping the secret as his other friends. So Clark making a point to ask him that is in part trying to maybe jog his memory if need be.

But eventually Clark realizes that it wasn't Jim and more than likely may have been his doing with his constant "flaring". He's been slowing down and getting sloppy. It's almost like an addict finally seeing the reverberations of his abuse. I hope they press that more. I think it's a cool idea.

But yeah anyways, Jim has proven himself a brave and self sacrificing person (going into danger, giving away his money to the people that needed it most) Jim's only strike is being so late to the party on the whole ID thing and that is no fault of his own.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Well I don't think Clark would ever assume Jim would do something like that on purpose, nor would I believe Jim would ever betray Superman.

That said I can easily see Jimmy Olsen doing something reckless that might expose Kal, so it's a fair suspicion.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Well I don't think Clark would ever assume Jim would do something like that on purpose, nor would I believe Jim would ever betray Superman.

That said I can easily see Jimmy Olsen doing something reckless that might expose Kal, so it's a fair suspicion.
    Agreed. This is the kid who used a super laser to carve a heart into the moon just to impress a girl. Jimmy wouldnt ever betray Clark on purpose, but he has a well documented history of doing stupid things before thinking them through.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Agreed. This is the kid who used a super laser to carve a heart into the moon just to impress a girl. Jimmy wouldnt ever betray Clark on purpose, but he has a well documented history of doing stupid things before thinking them through.
    Are we talking about the idea of Jimmy Olsen that has been constructed as a result of multiple continuities and adaptations or are we talking about this particular Jimmy Olsen? Do we know that Jimmy Olsen of the New 52 continuity has a well-documented history of doing stupid things that would lead Clark to believe that his friend could have been reckless with his secret? And, if true, is confronting Jimmy as Clark did the best way to get Jimmy to think clearly about when or how he might have slipped up? If Jimmy is indeed so stupid and so careless, would he even know if or how he had accidentally clued someone in on the truth about Clark Kent? Also, how does Jimmy's alleged recklessness explain Clark's first instinct, which was to question if Jimmy had told anyone? Because Clark didn't just accuse Jimmy of accidentally spilling his secret, Clark's initial thought was that Jimmy had told someone. Why would Clark even think that?

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Are we talking about the idea of Jimmy Olsen that has been constructed as a result of multiple continuities and adaptations or are we talking about this particular Jimmy Olsen? Do we know that Jimmy Olsen of the New 52 continuity has a well-documented history of doing stupid things that would lead Clark to believe that his friend could have been reckless with his secret? And, if true, is confronting Jimmy as Clark did the best way to get Jimmy to think clearly about when or how he might have slipped up? If Jimmy is indeed so stupid and so careless, would he even know if or how he had accidentally clued someone in on the truth about Clark Kent? Also, how does Jimmy's alleged recklessness explain Clark's first instinct, which was to question if Jimmy had told anyone? Because Clark didn't just accuse Jimmy of accidentally spilling his secret, Clark's initial thought was that Jimmy had told someone. Why would Clark even think that?
    Im speaking of the former; the character constructed from seventy-plus years of various continuities and adaptations. This particular Jimmy seems far more level headed than "usual" aside from willfully and gleefully blowing his parents' money on ridiculous video game development and skyrise apartments.

Was Clark's reaction the best way to get Jim to think clearly? Probably not, but Clark's own thought processes were clouded by a veil of panic as well.

And Clark's first instinct (seeing if Jim had messed up) holds water. Clark tells him the secret and a short time later is blackmailed with the knowledge. If I told someone a secret that very few people knew, and then a week later someone slaps me with that secret out of the blue, my fist thought would be to go over any new developments in my life that may have resulted in that secret being leaked. Have my relationships with the people who already knew change somehow? Have there been any changes to their lives that might explain how they might let it slip? Did I tell this information to anyone new? Have I been to strange and unknown websites where spyware could have been picked up? I see nothing wrong with Clark's actions here.

I also find it interesting that there's no real indication that Clark was overly physical or harmful to Jim, but Jim still pushes away. Yes, Clark grabbed his shoulder and got close to his face, and yes those are aggressive movements, but nothing in the dialogue or Clark's facial expressions or art said that he was being forceful. Uncomfortably close certainly, but not harmful. It looks much more like he's just panicked. Jimmy's reaction, or perhaps over-reaction, tells us a lot about how the world sees Superman. Even Jim, who considers Superman a hero and is best friends with the guy, is weary of an angry Superman even when that Superman is underpowered. Lots of nice nuance in Yang's first issue.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

We know from the FCBD Divergence, Superman will eventually "unmasked" by Lois Lane, with partial loss of his powers. The terms, are unknown but since the beginning of June, it was reported that the hole would be filled with Superman # 41. This however is not the case, because the authors (including Gene Luen Yang, replacing Geoff Johns) prefer to tell their story so decompressed on several issues ... and Superman # 41, finally, simply push the answers later. It's disappointing, although this is not entirely the fault of the authors, not of multiple series. Imagine that the Daredevil Bendis or Brubaker one, with their own temporal ellipses, were carried out simultaneously with other series Daredevil obliged to support change. Here is a little the effect of the whole operation and I'm afraid that in the end, we must pass twenty different sets of numbers (Action, Superman / Wonder Woman, Batman / Superman ...) in vague until Superman catches up with the difference.
    Superman # 41, Geoff Johns withdraws from title and it's a whole new comer who has the burden to take back the bar and give Superman adventures he deserves. Because it's worth it! How did the guy is doing? Well not so bad, or even pretty good. The change is ultimately not so blatant and writing style is rather similar. We return just before Superman's secret is revealed (yes it is the + or - big editorial shell) to launch an investigation into several levels. Someone is singing our heroes and it does not please him. The rest of you to read, but I can tell you is that this is all very intriguing that we know how it will end, just about. After arc Ulysses, this story seems more inked in a more earthly logic, perhaps more human. Superman is very little present during the number is that is his alter ego takes over, allowing an impressive presence of Lois Lane that was too rare. This bias is nevertheless not an obstacle to friendly action scenes that need a good story enamel stamped Superman. Yang thus manages to give us all the different elements that make up a good story. Sufficient context and mystery to intrigue us, and keeps enough underfoot to make us want to come back next month, not to mention the action. Superman # 41 is not amazing number but it's a good start for Yang.

There are one or two specific elements to this story that are interesting, such as the presence of an African dictator who comes tired of Superman habits. Or a scene which shows that Lois Lane is not bad to unmask the people, even if applied by someone other than the superman. But these moments are offset by other, less happy. For example, I can not imagine Clark Kent endanger a (an) calendar to save his own identity. It is already very different from Johns, who was returning to a more idealistic character. And then the problem (but this is not unique to authors in this issue), it is the lack of empathy that we can have with Lois Lane, become careerist and friendly way since 2011, with rare times. Is really the only way to present a working woman is to make an ambitious minx? There I really look for the reasons that could push Clark to be friends with a woman so hard. The chemistry between the two suffers. They are no longer married, okay, it was possible to mourn this phase ... But nothing brings them no closer to them. No value in common. And suddenly the dramatic device which is prepared we will not have the same force.
    "my feminism will be intersectional, or will it be bullshit." Kelly Sue Deconnick
    "All this magic stuff needs new terminology because it's not what people are being told it is at all." Grant Morrison

Wow, this was legitimately bad. Whenever I see Romita Jr attached to something I usually steer clear but this issue looks like it was illustrated by a 4 year old with Parkinson's disease, it was that bad. Story wise it wasn't terrible but man....that art....

I guess DC just isn't my thing anymore, but thank god for classic stories.
    Http://theretroghost.blogspot.com

Follow me on Twitter @GhostlyRetro - Posting anything & everything retro! Comics, toys, videogames, pics, thoughts, ramblings, ect....

Mighty Member

I liked the weapons storyline in this issue

I liked this issue, but if I'm being honest, it's forgettable, and it doesn't hold a candle to action comics 41 and 42 to me.