Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Well. I tend to rate comics as a whole, story AND art. Writing wise I'd say clearly the best yet for this title. Romita's art though...while not terrible could be much better, and I think that;s the one area SUPERMAN excelled for the most part over it's 40+ issues, they had some great artists with Jesus Merino and George Perez starting strong. then Nicola Scott, Dan Jurgens and then Ken Rocafort.

My top 5 )weighing story and art in no particular order...

SUPERMAN #41

SUPERMAN #39 -(Johns best issue, Great characterizations for Jimmy and Clark)

SUPERMAN ANNUAL #2 (the Lois Lane centered issue drawn by Jurgens. Ironically best non SUPERMAN UNCHAINED related use of Lois in the New 52)

SUPERMAN #0: Lobdell and Rocafort's first issue. Lobdell's best issue of his run. I would actually read a KRYPTON series by him as high concepts seem to suit him. Just keep him away from the main titles)

SUPERMAN villain Months Parasite issue: Aaron Kuder writing and drawing...nuff said.
    I actually like Romita's art....likish anyway.
    I mean, yeah his characters can be awkward, but he has a strong sense of energy and his compositions are pretty good. That's why he's often compared to Jack Kirby.

As for your best Superman issues....yeah, I guess my list would be somewhat like that as well. Kinda ironic how two of these issues are from Lobdell, though, isn't it?
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    I actually like Romita's art....likish anyway.
    I mean, yeah his characters can be awkward, but he has a strong sense of energy and his compositions are pretty good. That's why he's often compared to Jack Kirby.

As for your best Superman issues....yeah, I guess my list would be somewhat like that as well. Kinda ironic how two of these issues are from Lobdell, though, isn't it?
    Well, he had the longest run of all the writers on the title, and as we say here, a broken clock is right at least twice a day. So out of 20 ish or so issues total (counting specials and annuals)...he got it right twice, so the analogy is apt. :P

Astonishing Member

So we didn't get cackling supervillain Lois Lane like some people thought, but instead she knows and is actually protecting his secret. Who would of thought.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    So we didn't get cackling supervillain Lois Lane like some people thought, but instead she knows and is actually protecting his secret. Who would of thought.
    The story's not over yet, but I agree that this installment was okay on the Lois front. We'll see if things stay positive in the next few months. That said, I must say I am the teeniest bit suspicious and concerned that Lois could actually be the blackmailer as some sort of test for Superman. It was just a passing thought, and could be a red herring but, please, someone talk me out of this.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    The story's not over yet, but I agree that this installment was okay on the Lois front. We'll see if things stay positive in the next few months. That said, I must say I am the teeniest bit suspicious and concerned that Lois could actually be the blackmailer as some sort of test for Superman. It was just a passing thought, and could be a red herring but, please, someone talk me out of this.
    I hate to admit this, and I'm glad i'm not the only one now...but yes...I had the same thought in passing too upon first read,but I don't think she'd throw the innocent informant under the bus, nor do I think she would have stalked Clark just to snap some photos for the "fan page", let alone tipped off Clark over the senator and his dealings at the start, potentialy putting Jimmy and Clark (which, if she was testing him, didn't know for sure he was Superman) in mortal danger.

IF though that's where we end up....that's the worst possible way for this to go....and I have to believe even DiDio wouldn't let a writer go that far off the deep end with Lois, especially a "new to DC writer" like Yang. I think even the most ardent supporters of the current direction would find it so objectionable that they would drop the story as well, and it would likely tank so hard we'd see it all retconned away so quickly it would set world records. So, no, I don't think we have to worry about that...unless Romita is secretly writing this.

Yet...even the fact we went there in our thoughts re-enforces just how crappy DC has treated Lois the last few years. A few years ago, I wouldn't even entertain the idea of DC doing something that tasteless and insulting. Now, we always are left waiting for the other shoe to drop.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 06-24-2015 at 04:40 PM.

That sounds incredibly unlikely. I mean, appart from the usual reasons, how would that work? How could she pull off the part where the blackmailer want Clark to give the woman to the "authorities" for instance? I mean, between the henchmen and knowing exactly that she would come and her knowledge of everything regarding the state senator, that would require resources that I don't see Lois Lane having at her disposal. Maybe if the whole thing was an ellaborate prank, but even then...the whole weapon trafficking was real. And connected to the woman who was being hunted by the fake FBI fellows. And they were shooting for real at Clark and Jimmy.
    I don't know, for your idea to "work", that would require not only a character assassination of unprecedented levels, but also a number of very unlikely things to happen. In fact, I have no idea what exactly would need to happen.

This actually read really fast to me for some reason. It wasn't lacking in text at all but I breezed through it and was disappointed when I came to the end. But that was just because I wanted it to keep going. Been quite a while since we've had some Clark, Lois, and Jimmy hijinks together. To me the road to how we get from this to what's going on in the other three titles just got a lot more interesting. Look forward to seeing how all these puzzle pieces fit together. I would imagine this anonymous texter will play a big role in Lois's ultimate decision now.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    This actually read really fast to me for some reason. It wasn't lacking in text at all but I breezed through it and was disappointed when I came to the end. But that was just because I wanted it to keep going. Been quite a while since we've had some Clark, Lois, and Jimmy hijinks together. To me the road to how we get from this to what's going on in the other three titles just got a lot more interesting. Look forward to seeing how all these puzzle pieces fit together. I would imagine this anonymous texter will play a big role in Lois's ultimate decision now.
    I really liked the dynamic between Clark and Jimmy. It was fun to have them having this sort of "partner in crime"ish relationship, to have them sneaking around the base together, or when Clark tells him that he "needs a favour" from him. They felt like buddies, almost like Jimmy was Clark's "sidekick" in a way.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

That sounds incredibly unlikely. I mean, appart from the usual reasons, how would that work? How could she pull off the part where the blackmailer want Clark to give the woman to the "authorities" for instance? I mean, between the henchmen and knowing exactly that she would come and her knowledge of everything regarding the state senator, that would require resources that I don't see Lois Lane having at her disposal. Maybe if the whole thing was an ellaborate prank, but even then...the whole weapon trafficking was real. And connected to the woman who was being hunted by the fake FBI fellows. And they were shooting for real at Clark and Jimmy.
    I don't know, for your idea to "work", that would require not only a character assassination of unprecedented levels, but also a number of very unlikely things to happen. In fact, I have no idea what exactly would need to happen.
    They would do anything to sell more SM/WW T-shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I hate to admit this, and I'm glad i'm not the only one now...but yes...I had the same thought in passing too upon first read,but I don't think she'd throw the innocent informant under the bus, nor do I think she would have stalked Clark just to snap some photos for the "fan page", let alone tipped off Clark over the senator and his dealings at the start, potentialy putting Jimmy and Clark (which, if she was testing him, didn't know for sure he was Superman) in mortal danger.

IF though that's where we end up....that's the worst possible way for this to go....and I have to believe even DiDio wouldn't let a writer go that far off the deep end with Lois, especially a "new to DC writer" like Yang. I think even the most ardent supporters of the current direction would find it so objectionable that they would drop the story as well, and it would likely tank so hard we'd see it all retconned away so quickly it would set world records. So, no, I don't think we have to worry about that...unless Romita is secretly writing this.

Yet...even the fact we went there in our thoughts re-enforces just how crappy DC has treated Lois the last few years. A few years ago, I wouldn't even entertain the idea of DC doing something that tasteless and insulting. Now, we always are left waiting for the other shoe to drop.
    I appreciate you both for sharing your perspectives. I was having a hard time wrapping my mind around the logistics, but I couldn't help feeling suspicious. Your explanations help me see it with some more clarity and, while I'm still a little worried, I do feel reassured. So, thank you.

I appreciate you both for sharing your perspectives. I was having a hard time wrapping my mind around the logistics, but I couldn't help feeling suspicious. Your explanations help me see it with some more clarity and, while I'm still a little worried, I do feel reassured. So, thank you.
    Well, I'm glad you found my perspective useful.

BANNED

I'm pretty sure my opinion on this "Truth" arc is pretty well-known around here at this point.

That said...

...I was HUGELY impressed by Yang's story. You had Clark and Jimmy friendship stuff, Clark and Jimmy being reporters, Lois being a reporter, Lois not being an incredible bitch and/or not around at all, an engaging story, and a great Superman moment with the bad guy asking Clark why he saved him.

I still loathe the idea of a de-powered, deconstructed Superman, but I have to say that I'd love to see Yang continue writing stories like this each month. He clearly has a great handle on how the characters should sound and interact, and the story, though short, was engaging and well done.

As for JRJR, well...I feel his best days are way behind him. I remain a huge fan of his work on Iron Man, Thor, Punisher, and Spidey in the 90s, and most especially, his work on "The Man Without Fear." His Superman stuff, is however, uninspired. I'd love to see straightforward Superman stories by Yang with another artist.

Astonishing Member

I liked it, I liked it.

I'm not necessarily in love with this day and age and how we've got the big shocking story beats (and follow up stories) in advance of the actual tale of the transition in status quo, but on an individual level, if I was reading these in the trades and someone had provided me with a reading order guide, I'd find this change in direction to be strong, or this issue to be a strong, mysterious starting point to a "who knows?" tale. Clark, Jim and Lois here feel like they just walked out of Morrison's run. The hijinx are both relevant to the modern day and relevant to Superman stories. The high-tech arms felt awfully Intergang, though they don't have to be to use that kind of cachet of being appropriate Superman-level Metropolis investigative stories.

Not my favorite of the week, or even my favorite Truth issue so far, but not bad.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I think BC's theory is going to end up on the nose, or at least close.

Essentially, that this tipster, knowing Clark is Superman is going to continue to blackmail him into doing his/her bidding, and Clark is going to comply as he himself is not willing to risk his identity, not for himself but also not for those around him whom he cares about. Lois on her own end will finally get solid proof that Clark and Superman are the same person, also find out about the texts, which at this point are growing in its demands, and reveals the secret to the world to break this person's hold over him. She does what Clark can't bring himself to do on his own. Its a major loss, but it also breaks the chains of his blackmailer.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Read it quickly before dinner, and while I'll have to sit down when its quiet and really get into it, I enjoyed it a lot. Not as good as Action, but better than the two team-up titles and Yang has, at least in this issue, proven he's worth his reputation.

This felt like a classic Superman story and I really have no complaints. Maybe after I go through it again I'll have some nitpicks. But all in all, lots of fun, strong dialogue, great dynamics, and fun scenes. And I dont hate Romita's art. He does the job and he's got a solid sense of layout. Issues are rarely, if ever, late because of him. He might not be Curt Swan but he's serviceable and his Clark looks good. His Lois looked surprisingly good.

Really enjoyed Lois here. Been too long since she's had some quality panel time and got to be herself. And for me, all her character was missing was some White Snake and a guilty pack of smokes.

And Misslane, I wouldnt worry too much about Lois. They'd have to pull some serious Professor Hamilton crap to bring Lois down that far and I dont see the logistics playing out here. Some of her lines already point to how she'll handle things as the story progresses, and her reaction to Clark letting the "authorities" take the blue haired woman sets a real solid precedent for her to try to save Clark from this blackmailer by taking away his leverage.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.