View Poll Results: Which Story Was Better?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Return of the Sinister Six (Amazing Spider-Man #334-339)

3 30.00%
  • Spider-Man: Blue #1-6

7 70.00%

Default Throwdown: The Return of the Sinister Six VS Spider-Man: Blue

Structurally, these are two similar stories. Both are six-parters (that remain in print, and have appeared on lists of the best Spider-Man stories) although many of the individual chapters can be enjoyed independently.

David Michelinie and Erik Larsen's "The Return of the Sinister Six" (Amazing Spider-Man #334-339) featured the second appearance of the villainous team from the first annual, bringing them back as mainstays of the Spider-Man comics.

Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale's "Spider-Man Blue" focused on the beginnings of Peter's relationships with Gwen and MJ.

Which story do you prefer?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I'm gonna have to refrain from voting here, as I never read all of SM:Blue.

Return of the Sinister Six I think is one of the top Spider-man stories. Even if Ock's master plan in it was ultimately fairly damn stupid.

I like them both for different reasons. However if I must choose, I pick Return of the Sinister Six.

I would never have thought to compare these two stories despite the structural similarities and it feels kinda unfair to do so as I feel they are of very different genres (plus I love them both!). But…..I would have to go with "Blue" as it is the more special and unexpected story; at that time, it was a rarity to revisit Peter's life with Gwen and it was told so beautifully and poignantly that it rewards repeated rereadings to this day. Loeb/Sale are a very special team and have yet to turn out a dud in their "color" series and "Blue" may have been their pinnacle.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I would never have thought to compare these two stories despite the structural similarities and it feels kinda unfair to do so as I feel they are of very different genres (plus I love them both!). But…..I would have to go with "Blue" as it is the more special and unexpected story; at that time, it was a rarity to revisit Peter's life with Gwen and it was told so beautifully and poignantly that it rewards repeated rereadings to this day. Loeb/Sale are a very special team and have yet to turn out a dud in their "color" series and "Blue" may have been their pinnacle.
    Agreed. I really, really enjoy "Return of the Sinister Six" but "Blue" is the most touching Spider-Man story I've ever read. It makes me cry every time. But on top of that, it's also a beautiful homage to the Lee/Romita days, and an entertaining story to boot.

I went with Blue, too.

I reread it recently, and liked it even more than the last time around.

It might even make my top ten.

It has a great handle on emotion and character, but it's also interesting how the superhero stuff is handled. It's very stripped down, with the bare basics of that narrative. But it works really well.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I went with Return of Sinister Six as that was such a big effin' deal back in the summer of '90! In fact, that group has risen to prominence over the last few years in the comics, cartoons and soon movies. I liked what Michelinie/Larsen did and it definitely felt like a big Spider-Man tentpole storyline at a time when the Spider titles were suffering from Marvel line-wide summer events (Inferno, Acts of Vengeance).

Plus: white suit Doc Ock debut!

- Jason G. Carr