Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Not to mention there are reasons behind the changes. If Cho is the Hulk, it's the continuation of his previous story. Waid already explained his ANAD Avengers team in an interview, also. So it's not just for the sake of change.
    Well I would argue that those are simply reasons why the chosen change is interesting and relevant to the character/concept, but change is still its own justification.

You are right, however, that none of the changes already made or announced are random or unjustified from a story perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyparker75 View Post
    Why would anyone change a wining or successful formula?
    The winning formula isn't 'X character as Y superhero'. There are plenty of bad stories starring Steve Rodgers, Peter Parker, Bruce Banner, etc.. The winning formula is good storytelling. Good storytelling means not telling the same types of story about the same characters over and over again.

Change for change's sake is not really a justifiable reason - the change HAS to have an intended reason. For instance, Ms Marvel becoming Captain Marvel made sense, and gave her a much-deserved promotion.

On the other hand... In the 90's, someone thought it was a good idea to have the Punisher undergo plastic surgery BLACK-FACE...! THAT - was NOT a good change. It made no sense whatsoever, and was pretty much only done for change's sake.

All right, here's what I think about the books announced so far:

ABSOLUTELY!
    Dr Strange
    ANAD Avengers
    Spider-Gwen

INTRIGUED, MOST LIKELY GET
    Iron Man
    Spider-Man

POSSIBLY
    A-Force
    Squadron Supreme
    Captain Marvel
    Hulk

NO WAY
    Contest of Champions

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    Change for change's sake is not really a justifiable reason - the change HAS to have an intended reason. For instance, Ms Marvel becoming Captain Marvel made sense, and gave her a much-deserved promotion.

On the other hand... In the 90's, someone thought it was a good idea to have the Punisher undergo plastic surgery BLACK-FACE...! THAT - was NOT a good change. It made no sense whatsoever, and was pretty much only done for change's sake.
    Obviously change alone can't make a good story, it still has to be well written. It's completely moot to say if a change doesn't make sense it is not a good change, because if any writing doesn't make sense it is bad writing, regardless of whether change happens or not. The example you gave is simply bad writing, it is not the concept of change that is at fault.

Well...with all these new announcements, at least we can say that they're doing their best to be "all different".

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Well...with all these new announcements, at least we can say that they're doing their best to be "all different".
    That's definitely true. If the BleedingCool rumors are true, than the only new book i'm interested in, besides Squadron Supreme, Ms. marvel, and Spider-gwen is Scarlet Witch.

Edit: And the new hulk book, forgot about him.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 06-29-2015 at 03:50 PM.

Spectacular Member

For the umpteenth time, THIS IS NOT A REBOOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Melab View Post
    Yeah, DC said something about that, too, in the early days of the New 52.

It does sound like more things may be changing than staying the same, so we can only wait and see how much of the pre-Secret Wars Marvel returns unchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Yeah, DC said something about that, too, in the early days of the New 52.

It does sound like more things may be changing than staying the same, so we can only wait and see how much of the pre-Secret Wars Marvel returns unchanged.
    But there origin and backstories are staying the same, so how can it be a reboot, the only things thats changing form what i gathered from the fcbd issues so far is the settings, and some of the characters moving into earth-616
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."

Relax, spanky.

This isn't a reboot but it's not the 616 either, which means it's a different universe that is going to pretty much be all new, but without tossing out its long history. That's just a marketing ploy to try to keep existing fans while reeling in new readers as well, it's either going to feel all new or feel like nothing happened at all. There will be no in between.
    Http://theretroghost.blogspot.com

Follow me on Twitter @GhostlyRetro - Posting anything & everything retro! Comics, toys, videogames, pics, thoughts, ramblings, ect....

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GhostlyRetro View Post
    A new Spider-Man, a new Wolverine, a new Cap, a new Hulk, a new Thor, and who knows what else they're going to change about the MU and it's characters

You see for me, that's actually more of a turn off. I enjoy reading about new characters. But no so much about new characters being wedged into replace older ones. Taking on another character's identity.

Legacy characters *can* work, and work well, but generally only when used sparingly. My major concern is pretty much every established character is to some degree getting mothballed and replaced with a successor. I think when you do this too much you actually dilute the character concepts in general very quickly. There's a real danger of this in the current range.

I'd rather see Miles Morales with a non-Spider-man persona. I'd rather see Jane Foster as something other than "Thor". I'd rather if that's X-23 in promo images that she remain X-23 rather than putting on a Wolverine costume.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

If it quacks, it's a duck.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    If it quacks, it's a duck.

It doesn't just quack. It floats on water, waddles on land, eats breadcrumbs cast from passers by and ruffles its feathers in a duck-like fashion.

Not sure it matters, mind.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Ultimately, reboots are like mass-produced, plastic resurrections that wear concepts thin each iteration. I can only just barely hang on to DC now entirely because of reboots.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

One man's reboot is another man's gateway. That's the way I see it when it comes to reboot. No matter what one may say about them, for somebody out their, that is the first time they'll see something.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Ultimately, reboots are like mass-produced, plastic resurrections that wear concepts thin each iteration. I can only just barely hang on to DC now entirely because of reboots.

Agreed. It's dangerous. You have to do it right. Otherwise you rusk wiping out all interest in the long term continuity of the line.
    It Came From Darkmoor...