Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sensation Comics #40 Digital SPOILERS

It’s off to a good start.

The story is about how supervillians never stay imprisoned for very long and the collateral damage and deaths they cause and how that affects victims’ families.

Garcia Lopez naturally comes through with exciting, crisp visuals. His work is detailed without being cluttered. Realistic without being humdrum. The storytelling is so clear. You really can tell what’s going on without reading any of the words. Diana’s breasts and a$$ cheeks aren’t spilling out of her costume. No gratuitous sexy poses, yet she’s beautiful and graceful and powerful. Some recent Sensation artists have seemed to want to draw Diana as a very (ahem) ordinary looking woman.

But (and this may surprise no one) the shadow of Batman is still with us. The Scarecrow appears briefly and later Diana muses on how a regular person might become a crime-fighter and one scenario she comes up with is a description of Batman—although she doesn’t actually use his name. We just can’t escape this guy!

I like how Beechen writes Diana. She seems smart and compassionate. She has a touch of the “outsider” about her, but unlike some other writers he doesn’t make her seem too haughty or tough or snarky.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

I didn't love it, but I read it pretty quickly. I honestly cannot believe they shoehorned yet another Batman scene into this book. And it's still strange to me how Debbi had Barbara Minerva's design (and possibly powers). It's just very random... Priscilla Rich would've made more sense since she wasn't brainwashed, she genuinely believed there was another personality inside her controlling her. The art was nice, though. I'll reread it when it comes out in physical form.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

What is with the hard on for Batman villains? I mean I love them too, but c'mon. Professor Freakin' Pyg showed up before many Wondy villains. It's sad.

Unless she brings Harvey Dent to reformation island for some good old fashioned loving submission and bondage/kangaroo games, I'm not that interested.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    What is with the hard on for Batman villains? I mean I love them too, but c'mon. Professor Freakin' Pyg showed up before many Wondy villains. It's sad.

Unless she brings Harvey Dent to reformation island for some good old fashioned loving submission and bondage/kangaroo games, I'm not that interested.
    It's all very fitting when you think about it: The very first panel of the very first issue of the new Sensation Comics #1 featured Two-Face, Penguin, Mr. Freeze, Riddler, Poison Ivy, Joker and Man-Bat.

The second panel was of the Batmobile and Robin and Nightwing.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

They should just change the title of the book to Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman & Batman
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member

Lots of complaining about Batman when neither he or his villains are even shown in the issue.

The parallel between the DA struggling to keep justice alive and Bruce Wayne is so obvious that ignoring it would have been silly. Who ELSE are you going compare the guy too? Superman? Green Lantern? Elongated Man?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Lots of complaining about Batman when neither he or his villains are even shown in the issue.

The parallel between the DA struggling to keep justice alive and Bruce Wayne is so obvious that ignoring it would have been silly. Who ELSE are you going compare the guy too? Superman? Green Lantern? Elongated Man?
    On JL league Batman is the only without any power, so u have a good point.

The issue was good, really not bad for Beechen and the classic art was a plus

anyway dc should think about doing a batman/ww team up book

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    On JL league Batman is the only without any power, so u have a good point.

The issue was good, really not bad for Beechen and the classic art was a plus

anyway dc should think about doing a batman/ww team up book
    DC is already doing that--it's called Sensation. Heh. I jest.

@brettc1

Isn't the Scarecrow a Batman villain?

This story could have played equally as well without the Batman comparison, if you ask me. I don't fault Beechen though. I'm sure he had know way of knowing Batman and his cast were in the last arc AND the one before that. That's why some of us are rolling our eyes.
    Last edited by Largo161; 06-28-2015 at 08:34 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    DC is already doing that--it's called Sensation. Heh. I jest.

@brettc1

Isn't the Scarecrow a Batman villain?

This story could have played equally as well without the Batman comparison, if you ask me. I don't fault Beechen though. I'm sure he had know way of knowing Batman and his cast were in the last arc AND the one before that. That's why some of us are rolling our eyes.
    Yes, Crane is a Batman villain. But we don't actually SEE him in the story. All we see is the speeding ambulance.

Point taken about Batman turning up so much. But I still think that he was the only logical choice for comparison, based on the story the DA told Diana. For good or ill, Batman is one of the only superhero characters motivated to actually turn himself into a superhero. Most have their powers and abilities fall on them out of the sky and then decide to good with them.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Yes, Crane is a Batman villain. But we don't actually SEE him in the story. All we see is the speeding ambulance.
    He is seen in the ambulance spraying his toxins out the window.

I'm not sure I understand why people are getting so worked up about Batman villains showing up in an anthology based series. We've also seen a slew of WW's rogues ... of the top of my head I know we've seen Ares, Circe and Cheetah in Sensation as well as the Bat-rogues that have appeared. Given how high-profile all things Bat-verse are it isn't all that surprising that DC wants to use them in a variety of places to help attract sales to new books. It's a classic cross-selling technique. Personally, it doesn't really bug me.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    I'm not sure I understand why people are getting so worked up about Batman villains showing up in an anthology based series. We've also seen a slew of WW's rogues ... of the top of my head I know we've seen Ares, Circe and Cheetah in Sensation as well as the Bat-rogues that have appeared. Given how high-profile all things Bat-verse are it isn't all that surprising that DC wants to use them in a variety of places to help attract sales to new books. It's a classic cross-selling technique. Personally, it doesn't really bug me.
    Remember all those complaints people had about the Justice League popping up during early issues of Finch's run? This situation is no different. And quite frankly, the Bat mythos could use less exposure at this point. Let Diana and her world stand on it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Remember all those complaints people had about the Justice League popping up during early issues of Finch's run? This situation is no different. And quite frankly, the Bat mythos could use less exposure at this point. Let Diana and her world stand on it's own.
    I don't think it's the same at all. JL popping up in her book is canon and, sadly, has been horribly done. They've served no purpose in the solo title thus far except to appear. Sensation is a non-canon anthology so having her face off against non-WW rogues doesn't really seem like a problem, especially if they drive sales to new audiences who might pick up WW solo at some point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    I don't think it's the same at all. JL popping up in her book is canon and, sadly, has been horribly done. They've served no purpose in the solo title thus far except to appear. Sensation is a non-canon anthology so having her face off against non-WW rogues doesn't really seem like a problem, especially if they drive sales to new audiences who might pick up WW solo at some point.
    The JL popping up in her book is not canon at all. You should be the one of the first to point out that the Azz series had none of that.

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    The JL popping up in her book is not canon at all. You should be the one of the first to point out that the Azz series had none of that.
    ??? how did this become about Azzarello? Her solo title is canon, and Meredith Finch has included the JL in her stories ... thus it's canon, and also horribly done.