Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default How would you fix some of the DC You titles?

Bored, you know the drill.

There's no doubt that the DC You initiative has brought a lot of creativity and new voices to the line but sadly nothing is ever perfect and there have also been some disappointments among the greatness and I'm going to list a few of the biggest ones for me and how I would try to fix them:

Green Arrow

Yes, this was one of my most anticipated titles mostly because of Patrick Zircher's art and while his work in particular didn't disappoint, Ben Percy was not only a letdown but borderline offensive because this is basically what he's insinuating with his writing in his own words:

"Thousands of words, thousands of eyes, that's an equation that results in making readers believe I'm saying something"

Really people, his narration says NOTHING. Plus, in his interviews it seems like he's going to handle some racial issues which can become pretty preachy pretty easily (and frankly, this is not the right time to do such thing based on recent events). So what's the solution?

Why, hire a new writer obviously!

Seriously, if I wanted a writer like Percy in the book I would ask Scott Snyder for the job since despite that he has his own sort of problems in terms of narration, he doesn't go to the extremes where Percy goes and he would make the story progress more at least. However, in an ideal world I would put someone who can mix a lot of genres in a satisfying way like Tim Seeley and Steve Orlando, writers that can also go pretty creative with their premises.

Earth 2: Society

I still wonder why people where hoping that Wilson was going to make a good work but anyway! The first issue of this series delivered nothing in terms of story progression or worldbuilding (and had a pretty poor presentation to boot) so I would replace Wilson with someone who actually knows the Golden Age mythos. Maybe Jeff Parker could do a good job based on his work in other books with similar premises.

Finally, Green Lantern: Lost Army and Lobo need a change and frankly a lot of the problems belong to the writer but some of title's flaws are actually editorial's fault so I would put the following creators in charge:

Green Lantern: Lost Army by Tom King: After the recent success of Omega Men, I'm sure that King would at least inject some creativity to the forced direction.

Lobo by Justin Jordan: I don't really care if they keep this new Lobo but for the love of God, give him some frikking personality! Jordan is great at writing wity dialogue so he would be a nice choice here.

I would add both Sinestro and Aquaman to the bunch but Sinestro is not really bad, merely okay and Aquaman wasn't as bad as I was expecting actually but still could be better.

So, what would be the titles that you would like to fix?

BANNED

Back to Dcnu costumes.

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post

Really people, his narration says NOTHING. Plus, in his interviews it seems like he's going to handle some racial issues which can become pretty preachy pretty easily (and frankly, this is not the right time to do such thing based on recent events). So what's the solution?
    Throwing my two cents in... It's entirely appropriate for superheroes to explore themes of social justice and equality and frankly, it's always the right time to talk about such things. Recent events have only brought to public attention that there are still issues that need to be addressed so really, it's the best time for this sort of thing.
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner 6655321 View Post
    Throwing my two cents in... It's entirely appropriate for superheroes to explore themes of social justice and equality and frankly, it's always the right time to talk about such things. Recent events have only brought to public attention that there are still issues that need to be addressed so really, it's the best time for this sort of thing.
    Possibly but I'm just saying that showing black people being murdered by a racist pale man might rub people the wrong way considering what just happened.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Teen Titans: I would replace Pfieffer with someone else, probably a new voice in comics, and then let them reinvent the concept from the ground up. I'd also have them shake up the roster a bit more since it's almost always been the same "characters" on on the team even if the names under the mantles have changed over the years.

Starfire: Yeah, I know a lot of people absolutely love the new take but there's just a bit to much of a "fish out of water" tone here and her naivety here is just off putting to me as well. I also feel like the current team is just retreading an old path with her and because of that I don't really see this book going anywhere interesting or even worthwhile with that set up. I really don't care to see her go through all this nonsense again and I don't really see the appeal of it. I'd give it to another writer and have them do a little more in the way of giving her a more balanced portrayal then the one she's been given thus far in the N52 and that could actually do something new and interesting with her for once.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Fantastic Member

Doesn't that actually make it the perfect time?

I have to say -- this might just be because I've been avoiding anything that looked mediocre, but I haven't hit a bad issue yet.

Wonder Woman needs a shake-up, though, and everything I've seen from Lobo has looked profoundly mediocre, which I think is sort of built into trying to give a cartoonish anti-hero stock pathos.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner 6655321 View Post
    ESPECIALLY Green Arrow.

This 'it has to be one thing' mentality is a very sad side of fanatic culture.

Kill Ditto off in Black Canary and have Dinah go on op missions to get her money back rather than fight aliens and try to understand someone through music during concerts (because apparently Ditto can't play without an audience or something?). Dinah's sonic scream didn't even hurt the aliens enough to stop them, yet she plans on training the musician how to fight. So their fists will stop what her scream wouldn't? The whole premise is absurd and needs to be scrubbed.
    Being a "Person of Interest" doesn't make you an interesting person.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Doesn't that actually make it the perfect time?
    Again, it might rub people the wrong way to show black people murdered by a racist pale man.

Teen Titan: Create a new team that does not follow the same formula of members or bring back the O.G. New Teen Titans like Marvel did with X-Men
    Batman Beyond: Show some respect to the TV series and its fans
    Grayson: More Pages! Give him a Spyral influenced version on the Black and Blue costume but keep the Grayson name for the title.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Batman Beyond: Tim Beyond must return to his home planet but dies on the way there. So in order to save the future, Bruce Timm is abducted from Earth-33 to become the new Batman Beyond!

Always Rakzo

I think people are misunderstanding what I'm trying to say, I'm not against comics exploring social problems per se, I'm against bad execution of such exploration.

Percy's execution is pretty clunky and based on his first issue, the commentary about racial issues will be pretty blunt and awkward.

I think people are misunderstanding what I'm trying to say, I'm not against comics exploring social problems per se, I'm against bad execution of such exploration.

Percy's execution is pretty clunky and based on his first issue, the commentary about racial issues will be pretty blunt and awkward.
    So you want racial issues to not be blunt?

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by kivatt View Post
    So you want racial issues to not be blunt?
    I want them to be well executed, that's all.

DC You doesn't really need much of a makeover like the New 52 desperately did.

I would say cancel JL 3001. It serves no purpose, and it reads pretty old fashioned for a book taking place in the future. Plus weren't sale on the first book (3000) extremely low? I just don't see the point inetting it continue.

Red Hood/Arsenal.....eh. It's not unreadable or anything, but it's not really entertaining or exciting either. I would say replace the writer.