Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    I would say cancel JL 3001. It serves no purpose, and it reads pretty old fashioned for a book taking place in the future. Plus weren't sale on the first book (3000) extremely low? I just don't see the point inetting it continue.
    It reads like it was written by two out of touch old men. Which of course, it was. It was obviously trying to be funny but it was so dull and overwritten it just came across as boring. Good art, but wasted on that story. And yes, JL 3000 was a poor seller. But so were Lobo, Constantine, Red Hood etc and all of them came back too, so...

Re: Teen Titans. I gave it a chance, but it's just so boring. SO BORING. Power Girl hasn't done anything since she joined the team - I am yet to read this week's issue but go back and read the others, after her first encounter with the team where she caught the truck thrown at her, she has quite literally done NOTHING. She's talked a bit but not been shown taking any on-panel action. That sucks. Manchester Black talks way too damn much. All he does is ramble on about nothing. Cassie, Raven and Tim have barely been given any depth and it's only Bunker and BEast Boy who actually seem to have any fun. The book is devoid of personality and a book about DC's premier teem of young heroes should not be. Give it to a young writer!

I'm hoping Justice League United can be redeemed by Jeff Parker. Lemire really drove that book off a cliff with his second arc.
    Last edited by confusiongrows; 06-26-2015 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Again, it might rub people the wrong way to show black people murdered by a racist pale man.
    Who gives a damn if a couple white people are offended. It's like the "not all men are rapists" idiots, you aren't actually being unfairly targeted here. This is the perfect time to address this and guess what, it's an uncomfortable topic and some people need to be slapped with it in the face. And considering comic readers as a whole are one of the most intolerant communities I've ever seen, they can use the reality check more than most.

Mighty Member

get this creative team off flash.

I forget the name of the guy who came before, the one on Detective Comics, but PLEASE bring him back. I want to like the flash and those old books look good, but this new team is not meshing well right now...

Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    It reads like it was written by two out of touch old men. Which of course, it was. It was obviously trying to be funny but it was so dull and overwritten it just came across as boring. Good art, but wasted on that story. And yes, JL 3000 was a poor seller. But so were Lobo, Constantine, Red Hood etc and all of them came back too, so...

Re: Teen Titans. I gave it a chance, but it's just so boring. SO BORING. Power Girl hasn't done anything since she joined the team - I am yet to read this week's issue but go back and read the others, after her first encounter with the team where she caught the truck thrown at her, she has quite literally done NOTHING. She's talked a bit but not been shown taking any on-panel action. That sucks. Manchester Black talks way too damn much. All he does is ramble on about nothing. Cassie, Raven and Tim have barely been given any depth and it's only Bunker and BEast Boy who actually seem to have any fun. The book is devoid of personality and a book about DC's premier teem of young heroes should not be. Give it to a young writer!

I'm hoping Justice League United can be redeemed by Jeff Parker. Lemire really drove that book off a cliff with his second arc.
    This is how I feel about teen titans. I only picked it up because the new powergirl was gonna be in it and I loved the titans show but it lacks character development. its like the writer is in love with Manchester Black just rambles with him over and over again. I hope it gets relaunched again with a fun writer. One that develops characters and tells an interesting story. I hope they bring back the original powergirl and have her mentor Tanya in a dou or teem book. Also I hope they bring back Solstice. Her powers were pretty cool.
    Monica Rambeau is the queen of my heart and life. Bow down to her then give her all your money.

Nostagia leads to stagnation and over glorifying the past. The past sucked, the present sucks, and the future will suck. Take off the rose colored glasses and don't let that jerk nostalgia trick you into thinking life was better than it really was. If 20 years from now I'm of those people that say music, tv, videogames etc. was better back in my day please hit me in the knee caps with a bat.

I would improve Justice League 3001 by having it ship twice a month. Easily the best book DC is putting out right now.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Rather than a Hawkgirl or Hawkman book, with either one in a supporting role, why not just a Hawk book with both in the lead roles ?
    A Hawk-book is the thing that's lacking the most for me in the DCU. I'd like to see them bring back Shayera and have her and Katar co-headline a Hawkworld book.

Always Rakzo

By the way guys, I have been thinking and I realize I shouldn't have say those things, I'm sorry. If a creative team is decided to touch into those themes is cool and I have no problems with it, I just hope that they do it with the kind of execution that such topics require.

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    Who gives a damn if a couple white people are offended. It's like the "not all men are rapists" idiots, you aren't actually being unfairly targeted here. This is the perfect time to address this and guess what, it's an uncomfortable topic and some people need to be slapped with it in the face. And considering comic readers as a whole are one of the most intolerant communities I've ever seen, they can use the reality check more than most.
    Wasn't talking about white people really but okay.

Anyway, back on topic.

I definitely want someone new in The Flash, someone who can bring both creativity and a young voice to Barry. Again, Justin Jordan should be appropriate for this.

Fantastic Member

Maybe many-many people love the new Batgirl drawing style but it feels like its aimed at under-10yo girls, which I'm not and I'm not. So to fix it for me they should bring in someone who draws different.

Quote Originally Posted by Icefan View Post
    I would improve Justice League 3001 by having it ship twice a month. Easily the best book DC is putting out right now.
    Agreed

10char
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Plus, in his interviews it seems like he's going to handle some racial issues which can become pretty preachy pretty easily (and frankly, this is not the right time to do such thing based on recent events). So what's the solution?
    The problem isn't Percy's desire to explore issues of race and social justice in comics; it's that if his first issue is anything to judge by, Percy's going to be doing so with all the grace of a drunken hippo.

Of the four black characters who the issue briefly featured, three were fairly blatant stereotypes. The football player was depicted as aggressively hypersexual, and the book ended with a criminal who participates in dog fighting. Even the old woman who Oliver spoke to on the bad side of town served the role of the wise old black person who sets Oliver on the path to become a white savior.

On twitter, Percy mentioned how he intended for this run to return GREEN ARROW to being a book that explores social issues, and specifically referenced Baltimore and Ferguson. However, what happened in Baltimore and Ferguson were the result of institutionalized racism permeating North American culture, not some serial killer.

FFS, the final page of the book was a series of panels featuring a dude pouring bleach on a black character's face.

Maybe Percy has the various best of intentions, but if his best attempt at exploring social issues in the pages of GREEN ARROW is a serial killer who targets offensive stereotypes of black people, and setting a rich white guy up as the White Savior, then he is not the writer for the job.

So yeah, I agree that GREEN ARROW could use a new writer.

All the other DC You books I've read so far have been pretty good. I imagine that's not the case for RED HOOD/ARSENAL, but I can't think of any way to fix that other than nuking the whole thing and starting over from scratch, ignoring everything that happened in RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS. New creative team; bring in a few more characters; have some sort of direction for the book.

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GDC3 View Post
    A more pressing concern as Deniz kind of touched on already, is if GA is portrayed as the white knight swooping in to save us poor black folk from the mean old killer out to wipe us out. That would be bothersome to me. But I'm willing to let the story play out before judging where it might be going. Hopefully it has some depth beyond that.
    This sort of thing is a bit tricky. On one hand there is the historical "white man's burden" concept that says white folks, especially affluent white folks need to educate, take care of or otherwise manage the rest of the (savage) world. Obviously that's bullshit and the whole white knight concept feeds into that. This said, the topic of white police brutalizing a young African American man touches two (often linked) issues, police misuse of power and institutionalized racism. Both are issues relevant to every American (and pretty much any citizen of any country where this sort of thing takes place). Obviously, the white knight trope is a negative thing but these are issues that we all need to stand up against. Anyway, I think that this story will most likely be a positive one unless they depict the African American community in the story as a bunch of uneducated savages bringing this sort of treatment on themselves which doesn't seem like a likely direction.
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    ...I'm not sure what you mean, but I'm pretty sure not all men are rapists...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    ...I'm not sure what you mean, but I'm pretty sure not all men are rapists...
    While I haven't read back far enough to figure out what the heck this has to do with anything, I think it goes like this:

Group A says rape is conducted by men and that's bad. They perhaps don't take the time and effort to clarify that they don't mean "all men" because that's rather a given.
    Group B says "but not all men are rapists" and get offended by what Group A is saying and discount their message.

So the idea is that Group B are wrong for being offended as they are misreading what Group A was stating or implying.

"dan12456" is stating that the hypthetical story shouldn't worry about offending someone, because for someone to take offense would be similar to what Group B is doing above.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by PiercedMonk View Post
    The problem isn't Percy's desire to explore issues of race and social justice in comics; it's that if his first issue is anything to judge by, Percy's going to be doing so with all the grace of a drunken hippo.

Of the four black characters who the issue briefly featured, three were fairly blatant stereotypes. The football player was depicted as aggressively hypersexual, and the book ended with a criminal who participates in dog fighting. Even the old woman who Oliver spoke to on the bad side of town served the role of the wise old black person who sets Oliver on the path to become a white savior.

On twitter, Percy mentioned how he intended for this run to return GREEN ARROW to being a book that explores social issues, and specifically referenced Baltimore and Ferguson. However, what happened in Baltimore and Ferguson were the result of institutionalized racism permeating North American culture, not some serial killer.

FFS, the final page of the book was a series of panels featuring a dude pouring bleach on a black character's face.

Maybe Percy has the various best of intentions, but if his best attempt at exploring social issues in the pages of GREEN ARROW is a serial killer who targets offensive stereotypes of black people, and setting a rich white guy up as the White Savior, then he is not the writer for the job.

So yeah, I agree that GREEN ARROW could use a new writer.

All the other DC You books I've read so far have been pretty good. I imagine that's not the case for RED HOOD/ARSENAL, but I can't think of any way to fix that other than nuking the whole thing and starting over from scratch, ignoring everything that happened in RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS. New creative team; bring in a few more characters; have some sort of direction for the book.
    Yup, that's all I've been saying.

If someone wants to touch upon these themes that person needs to do it with the right, subtle skill and, based on the preview of the next issue, Percy is not that person.

BANNED

I'd just cancel Justice League 3001. It really serves no purpose. The rest of the DC You line is great.