Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SHIELD #7 Spoilers

This is a thinly disguised attempt to mesh the TV series with current 616 continuity Quake and Skye. Even the Hyde character is being meshed the same way. There is some flashback to early Marvel comics of Hyde fights with Thor and DD, as Hyde tries to deny any responsibility for Quakes powers, but he is found out.

spoilers:
    Hyde is hold up in. castle in Portugal, and Quake is sent in with a team to capture Hyde. Not hey are successful and return Hyde to a captured Anim Zola biology lab for Dr Calvin Zabo to create a cure for Daisy's condition, as her Quake powers are cracking her bones. Zabo succeeds and gives Daisty the cure, but also gives himself the Hyde Serum to counter the antidote SHIELD used on him. Coulson gets the serum too and Hydes out fighting Zabo until Daisy regains her senses from the cure and Quakes Zabo into a hole. They mention they have given Daisy the Knicks name of Skye because she spends most of her time in space now.
    end of spoilers

The stories in this are thinly veiled continuity in the 616, but interesting enough for me to be picking up books with Simmons and Fitz in them. I like that pairing so much, that I overlook the difficulty with meshing the comic verse with the movie verse, that shouldn't be possible.

And yet the connection between Quake and Hyde goes as far back as Bendis, I think, so for Waid to be trying to tell that story in this setting was a good attempt, to my mind.

All these series' finishing up stories before the MU is destroyed, can tell the most bizarre stories they possibly can, because what the hey, it all gets wiped away with Secret Wars anyway.
    Last edited by jackolover; 06-25-2015 at 07:44 PM.

That justification for her nickname...doesn't make much sense .

Astonishing Member

It doesn't.

Maria was the Director in #6, so when/how did Phil become director?

The forced inclusion of the Skye name was so damned stupid. It was clumsy, and it was such forced pandering to an audience that isn't even going to be picking the book up. I don't normally have a problem with the attempts at synergy between the comics and movies. I can accept most of the efforts. But the Skye name being used for no damn reason other than to say "Hey guys Skye is the character's name on the show you like the show right because on the show she's called Skye and I know this isn't the show but isn't that a cool show" just annoyed me.

Honestly, Waid's better than this whole series has been. Between this and Wanda not seeming to give a damn about Wiccan being hurt a couple issues ago, things keep popping up that are frustrating.

I seem to remember Brevoort(?) saying that the comics would never be influenced by the MCU. Are there any comics left that aren't influenced by the MCU?

So Daisy is an Inhuman now. Sorry Marvel, I still don't give 2 tosses of a donkey's flaccid tool about them.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    It doesn't.

It's like Waid had a freudian slip after writing an entire comic that felt like an Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. fanfiction. I'm surprised that nobody caught that?

This series doesn't have the best sales, so I'm not sure if it'll survive into All-New, All-Different Marvel, with all of those new books launching.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

So... Is this before her crazy adventure in space with Bucky and his blue alien lover?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    The forced inclusion of the Skye name was so damned stupid.
    I agree. This is the first issue I didn't like. I'm new to comics books and don't know much about history but I hated Waid forcing the idea that Daisy=Skye. In a way, it was a given but his execution of this part of the story just ruined everything, I didn't even enjoy Coulson"Hyde-ing" out.

I just came here to see what this book planned to change about Quake and am sorely disappointed that Mark Waid of all people would shoehorn such a terrible pander into Quake's character. I suppose it's not his fault, but still, such a damn shame.

Not sure how they figured Quake has even been in space. Bucky and Quake's missions are top secret and Quake had been off the grid ever since the last time she was on Earth. Is there a decent explanation or should I not hold my breathe.

And is Daisy an Inhuman now as well? I haven't been following this series closely.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Astonishing Member

This is the only issue where Daisy is called Inhuman, I think.

Do they bother explaining how?
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

BANNED

I don't read this book, but from what you guys have said, it's about what I expected it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    So... Is this before her crazy adventure in space with Bucky and his blue alien lover?
    After, I think. They use space adventures to justify her having the nickname Skye.

Amazing Member

I feel like Waid was forced by some Marvel executives to shoehorn the MCU status quo in, as it was expected ever since this issue was announced.
    Some of these aspects he did really good IMO, as the task is simply BS and it could have been implementated worse.
    For example, the justification for the nickname "Skye" I find funny and a good solution if that was demanded to be included.
    On the other hand – Daisy's mother is inhuman now? And that's mentioned in passing? Feels wrong, same with the Coulson-Daisy interactions.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    It's these continuation errors/hickups that bug me so much with this series. Not only that main MU continuity is ignored – now it's even the series' own one? Either that or the issue is set after Secret Wars and we will see Coulson's promotion in some other ongoing series.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamon View Post
    I seem to remember Brevoort(?) saying that the comics would never be influenced by the MCU. Are there any comics left that aren't influenced by the MCU?

So Daisy is an Inhuman now. Sorry Marvel, I still don't give 2 tosses of a donkey's flaccid tool about them.
    The X-Books, pretty much, if you don't subscribe to the CompleX ideas about how the MCU's success is negatively impacting the X-Men at least. Same with the Fantastic Four.