Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    What kind of fans called for this? If Warner are really going in the direction of Gibson, then the movie's already failed. The best Gibson can do is comedy, and he's not even particularly great at that either. I mean let's be honest, he's the butt of half the jokes in the F&F franchise.
    Well here is the issue when you are looking at casting a minority lead.

Who can you find that appeals to EVERYBODY.

Not just oversea folks.
    Not just white folks.
    Not just black folks.
    Not just everybody else.

Some of the guys who fit that are already to linked to superhero roles. The Rock, Will Smith & Idris.

Some are probably too old-Denzel

Some are probably too young. Tyler James Williams

Some are question marks in their roles right now-Marlon Wayans, Donald Glover & Kevin Hart

Some only appeal to 1 or 2 of those groups. Arjay Smith, Khary Payton & Lance Gross

Some NO ONE wants-TI, Bow Wow and a much long than it should be list.

And going with someone new is NOT going to cut it. Especially when you got a well known name playing Hal.

If they are going with Tyrese-it hints to me the following-

You want him in that film to attract that black female fanbase that likes him. Which means you are dragging in their boyfriends & kids.

You want a name everyone knows about with some box office success.

Warner Brothers has worked out some deal for him to this for them and they will do something in return for him. Remember he had a comic book called Mayhem for Image. I would not be shocked if one of the production branches of Warner Brothers makes that into a movie for him.

Love Tyrese in Fast and Furious but it'll be hard to see him as John Stewart. I really like the guy though so I wish him all the best

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    He was interesting in the Transformers movies
    None of the human characters were interesting in the Transformers movies (at least not the first 3).

Really, really hoping that this is not true and it's just a case of him airing out his ego (which, judging by his quotes in the article, takes up a lot of room).

BANNED

Oh yuck. Gibson can't act and he always comes across as an angry black man who needs to prove himself. David Ramsey or David Oyelowo would have been much better. They have far more dignity and gravitas.

BANNED

Although I'm not a John Stewart fan I think it's a smart choice if they put them together on the film and it can prevent a needless fanboys war between the characters fan base and anyway they are the two most popular green lanterns anyway so win/win for WB.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Oh yuck. Gibson can't act and he always comes across as an angry black man who needs to prove himself. David Ramsey or David Oyelowo would have been much better. They have far more dignity and gravitas.
    In John's debut he was essentially "an angry black man who needs to prove himself". Though I don't think they will go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    In John's debut he was essentially "an angry black man who needs to prove himself". Though I don't think they will go that route.
    There was still more to him than that. Much as I respect that Tyrese likes the character, I'm not sure he can play John as anything other than two-dimensional.

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    There was still more to him than that. Much as I respect that Tyrese likes the character, I'm not sure he can play John as anything other than two-dimensional.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum View Post
    If the majority of fans have a problem with the choice, then he'll do great because the fans are never right about casting choices. Seriously though, the most important point he made was the international fanbase. He has that. That's the key to black actors and leading roles is whether or not they can draw outside of the states. That's why Will Smith is a gold mine. The Rock. When it comes to blockbusters, if you can't pull outside the states you get passed on. If true, I'm excited!
    You have seen Tyrese's movies right? Whether or not he can bring in international audiences isn't what's being discussed here.

Ultimate Member

I've seen his films, and I'd be fine with this choice. And yes, fans are RARELY right about these casting choices. They moan and complain, and then end up looking foolish once the film actually comes out. It happens over and over and over and over again, and yet fans never seem to learn their lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    You have seen Tyrese's movies right? Whether or not he can bring in international audiences isn't what's being discussed here.
    You know, Jim Carrey was an absolute buffoon to start his career. I couldn't imagine him doing anything serious. Boy was I wrong. Guess that's why they call them actors. Tyrese has actually done serious before. He's been a joke on the FF series only because that was his role. He was good at it. That's the type of thing that builds the clout to draw-in international support for later projects.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum View Post
    You know, Jim Carrey was an absolute buffoon to start his career. I couldn't imagine him doing anything serious. Boy was I wrong.
    I think you're being too hard on yourself. It's not a question of him being able to do anything serious, it's a question of him being able to do it well, which he really hasn't done much of. Which is why he's pretty much gone back to being a buffoon.

All that said, on his worst day Jim Carrey can act rings around Tyrese Gibson.

Extraordinary Member

I don't want to be negative, but I'm not sold on Tyrese playing John Stewart. I would prefer someone younger to grow into the role. I would rather John not be older than Hal (as I will assume he will be the main character). In the comics, one of the reasons John was selected after Hal & Guy as a GL was because he was a minor.

If Tyrese gets the role, and does well, I will gladly admit I was wrong.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 06-26-2015 at 07:48 PM.

I don't know. Tyrese and Pine in a space buddy cop movie? That sounds like it has potential.

Fantastic Member

I'm not sold on it, but Im not against it. Gibson has potential. And we're talking about a damn superheroe movie here, ain't nobody wining no Oscars.

Moreover, the script and direction of the film is what will make or break it, not Gibson playing Stewart.