Super Moderator

Default Gerard Way on the Long Odyssey of "The Fabulous Killjoys"

The former My Chemical Romance frontman talks the album-turned-comic that was "Fabulous Killjoys," Grant Morrison's villain and "Umbrella Academy's" return.

Full article here.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

This was one of the worst comic books that I have ever read before. What a waste of Becky Cloona's talent. I hope there's never a sequel to this and this is the last we'll ever see if this world and its "characters".

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    This was one of the worst comic books that I have ever read before. What a waste of Becky Cloona's talent. I hope there's never a sequel to this and this is the last we'll ever see if this world and its "characters".
    I haven't read it yet, but I do plan on it. How terrible can it be if Way also wrote Umbrella Academy?

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RawrJoey View Post
    I haven't read it yet, but I do plan on it. How terrible can it be if Way also wrote Umbrella Academy?
    I haven't read Umbrella Academy, so I can't compare it. However, here's a quick rundown on why it is bad:
    + The main character is not remotely interesting and does nothing to effect the plot outside of one point and the ending.
    + The villains are cliched as hell, being evil for the sake of being evil and with no real interesting backstory
    + The writer keeps adds interesting ideas and concepts in the story, but goes nowhere with them.
    + There's no real emotion or genuine moment that makes you care about the characters since they are poorly defined, the comic never spends time with them, or the comic merely glosses over them.
    + The ending is completely rushed, cramming in at least three issues worth of material into an 18 page comic. People reach conclusions that make no sense, everything feels anti-climatic, morals and decisions characters have make no sense, everything wraps up way too conveniently, plot lines and characters are just dropped, things come out of nowhere that had no buildup, and the rules for how the world work are just tossed aside.
    + The dialogue is wonky or is unnatural.
    + Pacing and story structure can be bad, alongside the fact the comic just kind of meanders around with no direction at varies points.

The one good subplot in the entire comic involving the sexbots, but that doesn't make up for the terrible writing in the comic. It's really sad since I wanted to like this comic since I heard good things about the writer and liked the artist. I even bought the album to do extra research and try to understand the comic more. The album was great, but the comic was still crap in the end. Next time, give us the first story in comic form and don't just skip to the sequel. That could of helped.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    I haven't read Umbrella Academy, so I can't compare it. However, here's a quick rundown on why it is bad:
    + The main character is not remotely interesting and does nothing to effect the plot outside of one point and the ending.
    + The villains are cliched as hell, being evil for the sake of being evil and with no real interesting backstory
    + The writer keeps adds interesting ideas and concepts in the story, but goes nowhere with them.
    + There's no real emotion or genuine moment that makes you care about the characters since they are poorly defined, the comic never spends time with them, or the comic merely glosses over them.
    + The ending is completely rushed, cramming in at least three issues worth of material into an 18 page comic. People reach conclusions that make no sense, everything feels anti-climatic, morals and decisions characters have make no sense, everything wraps up way too conveniently, plot lines and characters are just dropped, things come out of nowhere that had no buildup, and the rules for how the world work are just tossed aside.
    + The dialogue is wonky or is unnatural.
    + Pacing and story structure can be bad, alongside the fact the comic just kind of meanders around with no direction at varies points.

The one good subplot in the entire comic involving the sexbots, but that doesn't make up for the terrible writing in the comic. It's really sad since I wanted to like this comic since I heard good things about the writer and liked the artist. I even bought the album to do extra research and try to understand the comic more. The album was great, but the comic was still crap in the end. Next time, give us the first story in comic form and don't just skip to the sequel. That could of helped.
    That's disappointing to hear considering The Umbrella Academy is my favorite comic.

I read the FCBD issue last year and didn't like it at all so I decided to pass on the series. I guess I'm glad I did. I might pick up the TPB if I can find it cheap. Thanks for the warning. =P