Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    1bulma1

Default So sick of Jean Grey and her Phoenix Drama.

Okay, if Ol Jeanie ever returns, I hope they ditch the phoenix storyline for good. I am currently watching the x-men Japanese anime and my gosh it is all about phoenix,phoenix, phoenix and scott crying, crying crying about jean dying or nearly dying or whatever.

That storyline has grown stale and become old.

While I was never a big fan of scott and emma as a couple. I finally understand why marvel got them together . it was a breath of fresh air unlike the scott/jean phoneix drama that never seem to end.

the scott/emma romance brought something new to be table and it has taken me nearly 10 years to finally appreciate it.

the Phoenix thing is just so irritating now.

wolverine and the xmen had just one season and the whole season focused on jean and her phoenix drama with emma unfairly paying the price so that scott/jean can be together.

the anime was the same thing again with phoenix and Scott moping about.

MARVEL ENOUGH OF THE PHOENIX THING ALREADY.
    Last edited by 1bulma1; 05-27-2014 at 04:17 PM.

BANNED

I don't get it. The Phoenix and related stories are pretty much the only thing that makes Jean Grey interesting.

I'm sick of the Phoenix too, 1bulma1.

I kind of like how ANXM saved it for one story, and the Phoenix didn't even show up in it. I think it has to be a once in a blue moon thing or else it's not interesting. Discounting brief interruptions like Phoenix Endsong, it's been about 10 years since the real, grown-up Jean has been alive and active. I hope when she does return, it's largely un-Phoenixy for quite a while.

Of course what's the Phoenix status after AvX? Didn't that break the cycle somehow? And it won't come back?

Everybody is...

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Of course what's the Phoenix status after AvX? Didn't that break the cycle somehow? And it won't come back?
    Since AvX it's been foreshadowed pretty blatantly that Quentin Quire will be the next major host. In fact it's a major arc in Wolverine and the X-Men right now. So the Phoenix is likely just biding its time until the writers roll it out again.

1bulma1

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I'm sick of the Phoenix too, 1bulma1.
    thank you. I am so sick of it as well. the last two x men cartoons was dedicated to jean and her Phoenix drama , I would have love to see jean just be jean and give other characters a chance to shine. I guess this is one of the reasons why I loved xmen evolution when I was younger. jean was just jean none of the Phoenix and dark Phoenix drama in the cartoon although it was hinted in the end that she does become the Phoenix.
    Last edited by 1bulma1; 05-27-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bulma1 View Post
    thank you. I am so sick of it as well.
    preach it sister.

Yep, time to end it all and also let Rachel and Hope move away from it. I think the Phoenix saga and Dark saga are such iconic tales that anything since has never really matched up to them. I'm sick of that stupid fire bird popping up all over the show now.

Its that way they use it that pisses me off. Just read No More Humans, and then hit your head on your desk.
    Interesting Fact: Cyclops runs the X-Office.

The Phoenix isn't really the problem. The problem is that Jean, for some reason, it's not allowed to moved on pass the Dark Phoenix Saga. So it seems like any time its brought up is unending circle of who's to blame the bird or her and can she or can't she control it and whatnot. Even Jeen, who has no connection to the bird yet, has to suffer from that same unending cycle in both the Trial Arc and No More Humans, though I guess she's fairing better? if you can call becoming a Pink Phoenix-Lite better.

Morrison was probably the only guy that wrote Jean moving pass that and comfortably wielding her powers. An then she died before any other writer could do something interesting with that progression.

Oh well, it belongs to Quire now, so whatevs.

I actually liked Jean and Phoenix but now I don't like how and how often the Phoenix force appears. I'm not liking the Phoenix Corporation story in WatX either. So, yeah, generally I don't like the Phoenix being misused now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    Morrison was probably the only guy that wrote Jean moving pass that and comfortably wielding her powers. An then she died before any other writer could do something interesting with that progression.
    Morrison also retconned in that there is no such thing as an actual cosmic Phoenix entity. It always was just Jean Grey getting überpowerful.

BANNED

Jean with the Phoenix is fine and is still very interesting. Unfortunately, there is a dearth of integrity and real talent in Marvel's offices, so the Phoenix has been used repeatedly in an effort to prop up characters much less interesting than Jean in the Hope of mindlessly duplicating what Claremont/Byrne accomplished without doing any real creative leg-work.

I'm tired of their vapid trash as well, 1bulma1. It all went to garbage during Endsong/Warsong when the over-powered fanboys desperately tied the Phoenix to their pet character's girlfriend.

Which brings me to what everyone should really be tired of: Jean/Scemma.

I mean, Morrison ended that pretty clearly. Scott chose Emma because she is better at sex than Jean or has bigger **** or whatever. That story was done yet, still to this day, the only story Jean is allowed to be a part of is "will they, won't they" boredom with Cyclops, even if it means putting adult Cyclops in her room while she's in bed and having her 16-year old self try to have sex with him there.

Jean/Scemma is more tiresome and pathetic than the endless parade of "my pet character becomes the Phoenix" fan-fiction Marvel has been producing. Lucky enough for us, current Marvel has great taste and has elected to supply us with both of these awful stories at the same time.
    Last edited by Phoenix Egg; 05-27-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Fantastic Member

I enjoyed the period of Jean not having the Phoenix. If she comes back and the Phoenix absolutely must be involved, then to me the Phoenix could either be a situational powerup like when Moonstar goes Valkyrie, be relegated to a symbol of her powers being used like Psylocke's butterfly, or be a "focused totality" of her powers like the psychic knife and soul sword were for Psylocke and Magik respectively.