Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jdtennesse View Post
    I actually liked Jean and Phoenix but now I don't like how and how often the Phoenix force appears. I'm not liking the Phoenix Corporation story in WatX either. So, yeah, generally I don't like the Phoenix being misused now.
    I don't get why they just allow her full control of the powers, or at least a substantial part.

I mean its not like the MU 616 isn't full with Over Powered Beings on Earth.

Thor, Sentry, Hyperion, Juggernaut, Hulk-
    Just to name a few and worse yet very few if any are on team X-men.

I'm not tired of Phoenix. I'm just tired of how she's portrayed with the Powers.

Let her be the X-men's heavy hitter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ciscostudent561 View Post
    But she's a girl though.

And she's not sexy enough.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ciscostudent561 View Post
    I don't get why they just allow her full control of the powers, or at least a substantial part.

I mean its not like the MU 616 isn't full with Over Powered Beings on Earth.

Thor, Sentry, Hyperion, Juggernaut, Hulk-
    Just to name a few and worse yet very few if any are on team X-men.

I'm not tired of Phoenix. I'm just tired of how she's portrayed with the Powers.

And this is a prime example why strict adherence to continuity, much of which was set down in stone in times much more sexist than the present, is an enemy of creativity.
    Current stories are still being dictated by backwards decisions from decades ago.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Egg View Post
    I mean, Morrison ended that pretty clearly. Scott chose Emma because she is better at sex than Jean or has bigger **** or whatever. That story was done yet, still to this day, the only story Jean is allowed to be a part of is "will they, won't they" boredom with Cyclops, even if it means putting adult Cyclops in her room while she's in bed and having her 16-year old self try to have sex with him there.
    Or more accurately, because two introverts are not a good match for each other, storywise. As a storyteller you really want partner Scott Summers up with somebody more outgoing than the also very repressed Jean Grey. Who will always be ten times hotter than Emma just by virtue of being a redhead who likes tight clothes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Or more accurately, because two introverts are not a good match for each other, storywise. As a storyteller you really want partner Scott Summers up with somebody more outgoing than the also very repressed Jean Grey. Who will always be ten times hotter than Emma just by virtue of being a redhead who likes tight clothes.
    Jean's not an introvert. She just restricts her bikinis to the beach/pool.

There is a difference!

BANNED

Jean Grey repressed? Somebody didn't read Dark Phoenix Saga.

Jean's very in tune with nature and doesn't hold back. It's a shame Morrison held her back by giving her 'planetary stroke' and shipping her off to White Hot Limbo.

It's all Marvel though, they use the Phoenix cash cow because it works. The entire AvsX is about the Phoenix, and it sold well. So of course they are going to keep using it.

Yep. She shows up and is, instantly, the center of attention...

Jeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnn
    Scottttttttttttttttttttttttt

It's the Phoenix again... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Jeanie I'm so tired of killing you.

Just keep them three apart ffs. If Jean gets the Phoenix just let her do her own thing.
    Interesting Fact: Cyclops runs the X-Office.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Morrison also retconned in that there is no such thing as an actual cosmic Phoenix entity. It always was just Jean Grey getting überpowerful.
    I'm not sure how you can say that when he had Jean herself say "I'm not sure how long the Phoenix will allow me to stay on this plane" as well as the Phoenix conciousness and the other Phoenix Avatars. The Phoenix was also called an actual cosmic entity in his run.

As for the thread topic. Yep, it's the circular nature of story telling in the X-books.
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 05-27-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Let me get this straight: you're all "sick" of the Phoenix, yet come here to discuss the Phoenix even more. Interesting.

BANNED

Phoenix Jean had awesome boots.

The problem started when the Phoenix was made much more powerful than it was meant to be. Phoenix came about because Claremont wanted the X-Men to have a member of the team that power-wise was on the same level as Thor. If Thor's abilities had been telekinesis and telepathy he likely could have pulled many of the same stunts that Jean as the Phoenix initially did, grabbing an asteroid from orbit, fixing the M'Kraan crystal, etc. But the levels took a massive leap to where she was darting through space and consuming suns, putting her in a class all her own. And since that powerful of character effectively breaks stories, the general Phoenix cycle was born with a character getting it, becoming uber powerful, and then having to lose the force (if they're lucky) or get written out of the books for one reason or another. If it stayed at the initial conception of just Jean growing much more in her power while displaying an affinity for Egyptian mythology it likely wouldn't have reached the point it's at now.

Granted the whole concept would probably not have been as popular then and DPS probably wouldn't have happened either. Since that story was the X-Men's first big blockbuster that set them on the road to being kings of the comic super-team mountain it's interesting to wonder where the franchise would be today without it.

BANNED

The whole Jean Grey/Phoenix is a story that is told and retold so many times her entire character has been reduced to that. I really hope they bring her back and divorce her from the concept for a long time.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    Since AvX it's been foreshadowed pretty blatantly that Quentin Quire will be the next major host. In fact it's a major arc in Wolverine and the X-Men right now. So the Phoenix is likely just biding its time until the writers roll it out again.
    Not as much foreshadowed as bludgeoning readers over the head with it. For them to have gotten rid of the Phoenix an AvX writers spend absolutely no time in bringing it back. Hell it's already been rolled out again with future QQ. The Phoenix is now the cheapest way to push a character into relevance by making it the X-men's next firebird jesus.

Edit: If they kept the Phoenix as an only Jean and/or Rachel thing we'd probably have Jean alive by now though I think she'd be more interesting in her times without it.
    Last edited by idiyona; 05-27-2014 at 02:04 PM.