Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Default Is Azzarello's WW run really as good as fans say?

I keep hearing how good his run is on WW but was wondering if it's really THAT good or just fans of his writing that like it?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    I keep hearing how good his run is on WW but was wondering if it's really THAT good or just fans of his writing that like it?
    It depends on you taste. I don't like the raids the plot holes. For example we don't know if there was a contest many see it has no big deal. IF your not really interested in world building but rather the gods and Diana being a bit more of a supporting character. It does take a while for the story to start

BANNED

It's a very entertaining story and the art is top notch. It's a good book for anyone who doesn't particularly care for Wonder Woman.

It all depends on personal taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Aula_Magna View Post
    It's a very entertaining story and the art is top notch. It's a good book for anyone who doesn't particularly care for Wonder Woman.
    Out of curiosity what WW runs have you read?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It all depends on personal taste.

Out of curiosity what WW runs have you read?
    Everything since Perez

I've read Perez WW, Byrne's WW and Jiminez WW arcs, but that's about it. I'm not a big fan of WW, although I love her in the JLA
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I've read Perez WW, Byrne's WW and Jiminez WW arcs, but that's about it. I'm not a big fan of WW, although I love her in the JLA
    Try the Rucka run.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I can understand that since the run focused more on the Olympians than Diana herself.

As for my opinion, the run was THE worst Wonder Woman run ever relying heavily on deviant shock-value to carry it. Wonder Woman's characterization was all over the board. One issue had her saying she loved everyone and then there were issues where she excessively squeezes Orion's junk, calls Strife a b_tch, and uses deception to defeat the First Born. Hippolyta was made out to be a lying accomplice to an adulterous affair. The Amazons were revealed as man-killing sex-pirates. Then, there was the fact that not a single character created by DC for Wonder Woman's supporting cast or rogues gallery prior to Azzarello appeared in the run with the exception of Steve Trevor's WASH appearance in the Secret Origins' tale. For the 1st 3 years of a new continuity book, we also never learned essential details as to where Diana got her costume and code-name of Wonder Woman from, why she lives in London, or what she does when not bickering or fighting with the Olympians besides hanging out at some rock club yet Azzarello had time to keep repeating the same plot-line of Zola and/or Zeke getting kidnapped several times. The art was all over the place as far as consistency goes(even when the same artist drew an entire issue). All in all, it was a hot sloppy mess. Save your time and money and don't go near it.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I can understand that since the run focused more on the Olympians than Diana herself.

As for my opinion, the run was THE worst Wonder Woman run ever relying heavily on deviant shock-value to carry it. Wonder Woman's characterization was all over the board. One issue had her saying she loved everyone and then there were issues where she excessively squeezes Orion's junk, calls Strife a b_tch, and uses deception to defeat the First Born. Hippolyta was made out to be a lying accomplice to an adulterous affair. The Amazons were revealed as man-killing sex-pirates. Then, there was the fact that not a single character created by DC for Wonder Woman's supporting cast or rogues gallery prior to Azzarello appeared in the run with the exception of Steve Trevor's WASH appearance in the Secret Origins' tale. For the 1st 3 years of a new continuity book, we also never learned essential details as to where Diana got her costume and code-name of Wonder Woman from, why she lives in London, or what she does when not bickering or fighting with the Olympians besides hanging out at some rock club yet Azzarello had time to keep repeating the same plot-line of Zola and/or Zeke getting kidnapped several times. The art was all over the place as far as consistency goes(even when the same artist drew an entire issue). All in all, it was a hot sloppy mess. Save your time and money and don't go near it.
    So is Finch's run better?

Try the Rucka run.
    What issues are those?

What issues are those?
    Wonder Woman vol. 3 #195-226.

Also see his graphic novel Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia.

I liked it. Most purists seem to hate it. But, seeing as how you mentioned that you are not typically a Wonder Woman fan, you wouldn't be a purist. That said, there's a good chance you'll like this, as Azz takes a lot of risks and does some creative stuff to put a new spin on the character. While Azz didn't concentrate a whole lot on how Diana got to where she was when the story started, you can only consider that a detriment if you want an origin story. This run hits the ground running, but it's not really a bad thing. That seemed to be the standard for most N52 titles. We don't necessarily need to know why she chose London as a home, because why not London? If there's one valid critique of the run, it would be the idea that Diana does take a back seat at times. The book is very much an ensemble book, where the Gods play as much of a role as Wonder Woman -- in that sense, it's very much a "team" book. Still an enjoyable one, though...I really liked what Azz did with the Gods. As for WW's characterization, I didn't notice any real contradictions -- I thought her contradictions were deliberate in highlighting the fact that she was trying to negotiate between her God of War role and her usual inclination for truth and love.

Wonder Woman vol. 3 #195-226.

Also see his graphic novel Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia.
    Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
    I liked it. Most purists seem to hate it. But, seeing as how you mentioned that you are not typically a Wonder Woman fan, you wouldn't be a purist. That said, there's a good chance you'll like this, as Azz takes a lot of risks and does some creative stuff to put a new spin on the character. While Azz didn't concentrate a whole lot on how Diana got to where she was when the story started, you can only consider that a detriment if you want an origin story. This run hits the ground running, but it's not really a bad thing. That seemed to be the standard for most N52 titles. We don't necessarily need to know why she chose London as a home, because why not London? If there's one valid critique of the run, it would be the idea that Diana does take a back seat at times. The book is very much an ensemble book, where the Gods play as much of a role as Wonder Woman -- in that sense, it's very much a "team" book. Still an enjoyable one, though...I really liked what Azz did with the Gods. As for WW's characterization, I didn't notice any real contradictions -- I thought her contradictions were deliberate in highlighting the fact that she was trying to negotiate between her God of War role and her usual inclination for truth and love.
    That's why I'm thinking that I might like it and why fans of WW wouldn't. Thanks

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

It has some controversy attached to it, but it's usually considered to be pretty good, an opinion I agree with.
    I think if you don't have any preconception about what the world of WW should be, there's a good chance you will enjoy it.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.