Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Actually from what was said, that seems more on Joss Whedon. They put Wasp in the first draft because Scarlett Johansson was throwing a tantrum over her salary so it looked like Black Widow was gonna get cut. Then when a deal was reached they wrote her back into the movie and Whedon said he realized 7 Avengers was too many for an origin film.

So even if it hadn't been for Wright, it's not likely they would have had Hank and Jan in the movie when they already were juggling six other Avengers.
    Er no, these are just nonsense sexist rumors. Scarlett never threw any kind of tantrum. Black Widow was in the film even when Whedon planned to introduce Wasp. There are original storyboards and schematics with all 7 Avengers (the 6 in the movie including Widow + Wasp) available online. It was never a question of Widow or Wasp.

Whedon wanted Jan to be the POV character in the Avengers movie as she was the new recruit, having the audience explore the Avenger world through her eyes. But Marvel did not want her to be the main character in the film and take away precious screentime from their already established heroes. Also, her presence clashed with Wright's plans for the Ant-Man movie. So Whedon decided to scrap her from the movie all together. But he still wanted a second female character, which was why he put in Maria Hill, albeit in a far less prominent part than the one he had initially planned for Janet.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 07-05-2015 at 11:01 PM.

BANNED

Yea, apparently Whedon really liked Wasp and wanted her to be the main character. I wonder if they new then that Janet would be MIA in Ant-Man and that's why they made him drop hero.

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    Yea, apparently Whedon really liked Wasp and wanted her to be the main character. I wonder if they new then that Janet would be MIA in Ant-Man and that's why they made him drop hero.
    It was a combination of many things. Whedon has stated Marvel did not want Jan to be the main character because she was taking a chunk of screentime and story from their already established players. They would want to focus on the dynamics of their existing biggies (Tony, Thor, Cap and Hulk) working together, instead of giving much time to introducing Jan and explaining her origins/power set. Also, the effects needed to show her shrinking/wings powers required more money as well.

In addition, Wright had no particular plans for her in his movie. I think if Jan had been used in The Avengers, Marvel would have made him use her in the role Hope van Dyne is playing, even if it meant retconning her to be Hank's daughter. But as they decided to drop Wasp from Avengers, Wright was under no obligation to use her in his film.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 07-05-2015 at 11:19 PM.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

The degradation of Jan's potential status in the MCU is very disappointing. I would've been happy having Cobie Smulders playing Jan instead of Maria Hill and filling a similar role by being Fury's right hand woman except make her have powers and join the team in the film. I can also imagine it would've alleviated some fans complaints regarding Widow's portrayal in AoU by having another woman on the team from the start. Oh well...

At this point, I just want to see an Ant-Man and Wasp miniseries like Agent Carter or something. Unless, of course, they plan to bring her back and have her join the Avengers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mr. Medusa View Post
    the degradation of jan's potential status in the mcu is very disappointing. I would've been happy having cobie smulders playing jan instead of maria hill and filling a similar role by being fury's right hand woman except make her have powers and join the team in the film. I can also imagine it would've alleviated some fans complaints regarding widow's portrayal in aou by having another woman on the team from the start. Oh well...

At this point, i just want to see an ant-man and wasp miniseries like agent carter or something. Unless, of course, they plan to bring her back and have her join the avengers.
    O-my-god yes! Yes! Yes!

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Edgar Wright got to make (well, pitch) his Ant-Man movie because he was pretty much the only person in Hollywood trying to actually make it happen.
    Stan Lee was trying to get an Ant-Man movie made in the late eighties. Lee pitched the idea to New World Entertainment, Marvel Comics' parent company at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    So, Wasp is probably one of the top ten most popular Avengers characters. She's grown a lot sense her debut. So, when a Ant-Man film was announced fans were excited at the possibility of seeing Janet on the big scree, but then it was revealed that Hank Pym is an old man and Janet is already dead in the film. Many fans (myself included), were very disappointed. What most people don't know was that Wasp was originally in Joss Whedon's first draft of the Avengers (she was more or less the main character), so it seems like she wasn't always going to be dead in the MCU. Now of course we will always have her in the comics. Or will we? We haven't seen her much sense AXIS and with her MCU counterpart already being dead, is it possible that poor Janet will be faded into the background? Will she be pushed aside sense she won't have the backing of the MCU? Maybe I'm being paranoid, but Marvel has shown that they wan't their comics to match the MCU as much as possible. Will they go as far as to phase out one of the founding Avengers?
    Some one help me out. We keep getting people saying "so and so is going to die/be ignored/phased out/etc." because they aren't in the MCU.

Stever Rogers is an old man. Odinson is unworthy. Jane Foster is Thor. Falcon is Captain America. Until Secret Wars, Tony was inverted and an @$$hole. Tony and Pepper are not in a relationship. Odinson and Jane Foster are not in a relationship. After Secret Wars, Peter Quill won't be in the Guardians of the Galaxy book (at least according to the teaser images). Ben Grimm will be in the Guardians of the Galaxy. The main Hulk book won't focus on Banner.

This is all so drastically different from the MCU. Why are so many still concerned about the comics becoming just like the movies? Because of Nick Fury Jr. and Coulson? Aside from that and some costume changes, I don't see the comics reflecting the MCU at all.

Yeah, I don't think the terrible treatment of Jan in the movies is necessarily tied to the terrible treatment of Jan in the comics.

However, it remains that she is currently being treated terribly in both mediums.

Quote Originally Posted by AntoninoC View Post
    Some one help me out. We keep getting people saying "so and so is going to die/be ignored/phased out/etc." because they aren't in the MCU.

Stever Rogers is an old man. Odinson is unworthy. Jane Foster is Thor. Falcon is Captain America. Until Secret Wars, Tony was inverted and an @$$hole. Tony and Pepper are not in a relationship. Odinson and Jane Foster are not in a relationship. After Secret Wars, Peter Quill won't be in the Guardians of the Galaxy book (at least according to the teaser images). Ben Grimm will be in the Guardians of the Galaxy. The main Hulk book won't focus on Banner.

This is all so drastically different from the MCU. Why are so many still concerned about the comics becoming just like the movies? Because of Nick Fury Jr. and Coulson? Aside from that and some costume changes, I don't see the comics reflecting the MCU at all.
    You make fair points. Although, while the comics and the MCU are different, the thing people are worried about is of the exposure some characters get because of the MCU. Marvel is pushing forward books like Dr. Strange, The Inhumans, GotG, Ant-Man (Lang) or Captain Marvel clearly because either of the movie popularity or to boost exposure of the character to a larger audience before their movie comes out.

I could go for books about Dr. Strange or Black Panther or Captain Marvel. They've been around for ages and are already popular. GotG doesn't need that many books published, IMO, and certainly not solos about each of the movie characters. Ant-Man (Lang) has been pushed forward for a year or so now, first in Original Sin (what was he doing there except to remind people he existed?) and now has a solo. The Inhumans book has never sold so well from what I've heard, and yet Marvel still insist on putting several books out... there's a movie coming out eventually after all, and not to mention AoS!

So I think the fear is not that much that the MCU events will bleed into comics as much as the fact that if a character or group doesn't have a successful movie under their belt or have a movie coming up somewhere down the line... well, that character is not going to be featured in a comics, or won't have the exposure he or she deserves from the half-century of feats they've done.

And I think it's sad.

Hey everybody, spread this article around to build Wasp awareness!

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/fea...janet-van-dyne

BANNED

Wasp and Crystal are benched.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    You are so RIGHT!!!
    Before Secret Wars there is an 8 month gap!!
    After Secret Wars there is an 8 month gap!!

When anyone asks the question to Brevoort or Remender ; ''does Rage of Ultron take place in the 8th month gap" they can say yes and confirm that anser to be truthful!

Thank you itspopularnowitsucks
    I am of the belief that Rage of Ultron takes place during the 8 month gap before Secret Wars.
    Right after Hank Pym completed his mission of finding the Beyonders.
    He didn't finish that mission and get back to his own universe until after that gap, so... nope, can't be.