Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Without hard data, it is difficult to be sure. But, controversy and curiosity sell comics. And, I know that some stores order modest numbers of Joe because it does not sell very well to begin with. The bump produced by the new Snake-Eyes was probably enough to push the series to sell-through.

The question is how long any sales bump will last.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    The question is how long any sales bump will last.
    It won't. In fact, pulling stunts like killing off popular characters and replacing them with SJW versions will cause overall sales to drop. I know I've finally dropped the title because of it, and I'm not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    Why is everyone so excited for this new Snake-eyes over in ARAH, I heard it selling out and had to get a new printing?
    I think excited is too strong of a word. Longtime, die-hard fans of ARAH kind of just go with the flow no matter what turns the book takes. The book selling out probably has to do with it having a relatively modest print-run normally, but now increased demand from people who don't regularly read ARAH or any G.I. Joe at all. Some of them may even be trying to play the now totally pointless speculator game, IMO...
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

At this point I think I'd rather see ARAH cancelled.

No, ARAH should keep going as long as it can. People aren't forced to buy it if they don't like it, otherwise it's still a fun ride for those that do.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    Exactly. You don't come on a project, expecially one with a long-established fanbase, and start antagonizing the fans. These keyboard warriors have gotten WAY out of hand.
    Plus, IDW says it canned him for low sales. So, he pissed off a rather small fanbase, they stopped buying, and he paid the price for his actions. Since he can’t accept responsibility, he blames others.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    Plus, IDW says it canned him for low sales. So, he pissed off a rather small fanbase, they stopped buying, and he paid the price for his actions. Since he can’t accept responsibility, he blames others.
    Yep. The book wasn't any good to start with (and I gave it a chance), then he went and pissed off the very people IDW wants to sell to.

Incredible Member

No one has posted on here in a while. Anyone enjoying GI Joe these days? I get the trades so I'm waiting on the next one to come out. I did just get the GI Joe and the 6 Million Dollar Man trade but haven't read it yet. I have been enjoying ARAH but would like for Larry Hama to focus less on ninjas and more on the other Joes for a while. I'd like Cobra Commander to be more of a threat and less of a caricature. He's just way too over the top now, more like the cartoon than the old comics. There is so much they could do with Joe but they seem to get stuck on ninja's and CC acting ridiculous.

Spectacular Member

Well, I'm still enjoying G.I. Joe: ARAH. It's like a link to my childhood, having Larry Hama write the title. Now that the individual stories of #251-255 are done, it's back to the ongoing stuff. Scarlett's story in #255 was especially interesting for long time readers. More like Scarlett's and original Snake-Eyes' story. (Don't worry, it didn't have ninja action.) There's also another mini starting this month. The ongoing title has now been published by IDW for 100 issues, plus a few extra things here and there. Quite a nice accomplishment.

The 'Special Missions' phase was an interesting diversion, even if it was only half-successful in my mind.

To get the obvious point out of the way first: these stories could've been about anyone in the Joe franchise, or at least the ARAH part of it. Meaning Hama could've shone a light on some lesser-used Joes with interesting background potential, like how Max Brooks' old Hearts & Minds mini made Deep Six and Doc meaningful, and turned Major Bludd into one of the most fascinating Cobras. Instead, it's the people who show up all the time. I'm genuinely shocked he didn't make one of them about Snake Eyes. (although I guess he kind of did) Maybe I was expecting too much, I dunno.

To the individual issues: Stalker's story wasn't perfect - it's hard to buy Lonzo having crippling near-PTSD from his Ranger days when it's wrapped up with a bow within one issue and hasn't been a problem during any of the 250 previous instalments - but full props to Hama for finally making Stalker feel like a character by himself. Guy's been one of the core Joes since this series started yet he's never amounted to more than Snake Eyes' hype man or a mouthpiece for the message of the story (i.e. whenever Dr. Burkhart shows up and he's all "I don't have to like what you say to defend YOUR AMERICAN RIGHTS!"). Here, he's at least got troubles and angles that are exclusively his.

The Baroness issue was the best by a mile. The art looked the strongest, IMO, and it managed to tell two folded-together stories in the past and (relative) present while giving both room to breathe, gave us insight into Anastasia's particular brand of callousness, and expanded on her relationship with Destro (I'll forgive the silly-sounding pet name since we likely won't hear it again). If every Joe issue was crafted to this standard I'd never complain about a thing.

Duke's...well, it kinda sucked, but what do you expect? It's Duke. Forever and always the guy who's only here because Hasbro says he has to be. It's a decent enough slice of military fiction with one of those heartstring-tugging delayed noble sacrifices that made us all get weepy when it was Dusty carrying Scoop on his back or whatever. The problem - apart from having seen this exact story done before - is that the emotional payoff isn't for Duke. Or at least, not specifically for him. Roadblock's here too and gets just as much out of the story as the dude who's meant to be the star. Really, all this tells us about Duke is that he's a soldier who gets sad when other soldiers die. We knew that already.

The Destro issue wasn't nearly as strong as the Baroness one mainly because it's a (kinda) straightforward caper that doesn't do much to expand on what we know. It is enjoyable and well-laid-out, and reasserts Destro's gift for layered scheming, so I'll give it a pass, even though there's so much more that could've been done here; Destro's second only to Snake Eyes in how much work Hama's put into him over the years.

And then Scarlett's issue was just so much flashback. Not even the interesting sort of flashback where we see an established event from a new POV, it's literally just that one time Scarlett and Snake Eyes went on a boat and some CGs attacked them. Sure, that was an important issue, but it's an issue we've already seen, can still be bought and read digitally, and did not need to be 'updated' or 'remastered' or whatever. The only fresh development here, hilariously, isn't actually for Scarlett, but for Sean, and it's the definition of a minor tweak.

So...nice idea, but I think it needs a little more thought if it comes up again.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Just finished reading #255. Wasn't exactly thrilled on the little "Special Missions" issues, but they were alright.
    I admired S.L. Gallant's tenure as artist on the series, but it's nice to see a new artist (or artists) on the title too.
    Still holding out for the Complete Collection hardcovers to resume...

Spectacular Member

I agree that the Special Missions were a mixed bag, and that Duke's was my least favorite. Looking forward to resuming the regular series with multiple sub-plots intertwined in each issue.

Some of the new artists have been interesting, but I kind of miss S.L. Gallant's work. It always seemed pleasant, clear, and easy to follow. It was nice to have a long run with the same creative team.

Incredible Member

I just finished the GI Joe and Six Million Dollar Man mini and it was a lot of fun. The Joes got their asses handed to them but it was still a fun read. I'd like to see more Mike Powers too. I'd love a good 4in figure of him.

I found out Kotobukiya is coming out with statues for Scarlett, Lady Jaye, and the Baroness.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Haven't read any JOE since Sitterson's series was cancelled*. I kind of miss it, but the new series from Michael Fiffe doesn't particularly interest me. I've had half a mind to re-read Gage/Costa's COBRA series recently. It's a fantastic saga, but harder to read presently than I'd care to admit.

*Which yeah, I know he was kind of antagonistic. But if I can put up with Chuck Dixon's politics, and enjoy his JOE conservatives should have been able to do so with Sitterson.