Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Post-Revolution G.I. Joe launching in December:

Mighty Member

The DDP run is much under-appreciated. It was not perfect by any stretch. But, most comics have weak spots over the course of years. (DDP had the license for 8 or 9 years.)

"World War III" is not bad. (You can almost spot when the creative team was told they were losing the license. About a third of the way through, it goes from being a generic event to being an endgame.) I also recommend "In Sheep's Clothing" and "Truth and Consequences".

I flipped through "Revolution" #1 today. It is not encouraging. But, events like that, what comes next is more important. I hope Sitterson does well with "GI Joe". So far, the only good IDW Joe has been Costa's various "Cobra" series.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    I flipped through "Revolution" #1 today. It is not encouraging.
    I don't get mine until Friday but I couldn't wait. I looked it up online and read it. I thought it was pretty good. The Joes acted somewhat O.O.C., choosing to shoot first and ask questions later, but whatever. I enjoyed it.

I think some of the OOCness in Revolution can be put own to Joe command being infiltrated by what I'm assuming are Dire Wraiths (hence ROM showing up to blitz Colton and some other mostly-forgotten chaps). Granted, Scarlett still seems a bit too eager to claim some Autobot blood, but I can just about swallow it. Good first issue, curious to see how everything pans out.

Nice cover for the new book too. I'm seeing Scarlett, Rock'n'Roll, Roadblock (in an embarassing shirt), Shipwreck, Snake Eyes (presumably no longer evil) and two I can't wholly place. Swords bloke could either be Quick Kick or a turned-to-good Storm Shadow - I'm hoping the former because Tommy's spent too long a hero in the ARAH 'verse for my liking - and buzzcut girl is...maybe Agent Helix with a severe trim? She's in some of the Revolution promo art and there's still a trace of her two-tone dye job here.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

I wasn't familiar with the Dire Wraiths so I looked them up. That's probably what this is. It's gonna be like IDW's version of the Skrull War.

The joe relaunch doesn't affect ARAH? Correct? Was thinking of getting into the Larry Hama joe books; how are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Aomalle27 View Post
    The joe relaunch doesn't affect ARAH? Correct? Was thinking of getting into the Larry Hama joe books; how are they?
    Correct. ARAH will continue as is. I got a few issues, a few months back, and really couldn't get into it. That might be because I'm so far behind, though.

Mighty Member

I read some of "Revolution". Anything IDW-Joe from more than 2 years ago is either gone, or simply going to be ignored.

Does anybody know if Red Ninjas and the buzz boar vehicle showed up in the Traviss run? Can anyone provide a short summary (no more tnan a sentence or two per issue) of that run?

"Revolution" is a hard reboot. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. (I am okay with that. But, IDW needs to tell it like it is.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle

I read some of "Revolution". Anything IDW-Joe from more than 2 years ago is either gone, or simply going to be ignored.

Does anybody know if Red Ninjas and the buzz boar vehicle showed up in the Traviss run? Can anyone provide a short summary (no more tnan a sentence or two per issue) of that run?
    I don't think we can fully say that all of IDW-Joe is gone. The prequel 'advertorial' comic (featured as multi-page ads in most IDW books over several months, collected at the back of Revolution #1) give a brief account of the Joe timeline to date that specifically calls out the 'Cobra Command' arc, which means ipso-facto 'Cobra Civil War' also happened, which means all the Chuckles-focused stuff by Costa and Fuso happened. That's more than 2 years ago.

R.e. the Traviss run...without digging through my back issues, it went something like this:

- Starts some time after the Van Lente/Allor run. In the interim, Cobra has shifted from a semi-legalized terrorist state into a legitimate worldwide conglomerate for private security and the like, headed by Tomax. Cobra Commander (Krake) is out of the picture for reasons never specified. G.I. Joe is running a skeleton crew, with Scarlett at the helm and only 1 active field team. Most of the roster have mustered out into other branches of service. Duke is basically a mercenary.
    - Siren from the Allor issues is still working for Cobra, but her son - who went through the Cobra youth program - deserts his post and sides with an insurgent group in some Eastern European country. He idolizes the former Commander and hates Tomax' methods. The defection, and the resulting attacks on Cobra interests thanks to the boy's intelligence leading the insurgents, has Tomax pile more resources into the area while trying to cast a diplomatic smokescreen over it.
    - Said smokescreen attracts both G.I. Joe and the CIA, the latter of whom hire Duke and Big Ben to act as field operatives for them. Both sides want the boy just as bad as Cobra does.
    - Lots of talking happens. This was a very talky book.
    - The ending is super rushed due to the series' premature cancellation, but the CIA agent in charge turns out to be dirty, the Joes get their hands on some good intel that both saves them from being shut down AND puts mega pressure on Tomax' public image. The insurgents all get killed for their trouble but Siren's kid escapes.

No Red Ninjas or Buzz Boar. Traviss was leaning hard on the 'real ass' aesthetic, so everything was dusty and muted, and there was little to identify the series as an '80s toy franchise beyond character codenames.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Mighty Member

The prequel 'advertorial' comic (featured as multi-page ads in most IDW books over several months, collected at the back of Revolution #1) give a brief account of the Joe timeline to date that specifically calls out the 'Cobra Command' arc, which means ipso-facto 'Cobra Civil War' also happened, which means all the Chuckles-focused stuff by Costa and Fuso happened.
    I am a huge Costa fan. (Aside from "the Cobra Files", I would call his time with Joe some of the best content in the franchise.) But, I am not sure it is staying. The prequel-advertorial (good way of phrasing it by the by) shows one panel that shows the Cobra Command structure. This group includes Cobra Commander (Kessler), Krake and one twin. If we (reasonably) assume that panel to be idiomatic rather than literal then we cannot take anything for granted.

- Siren from the Allor issues is still working for Cobra, but her son - who went through the Cobra youth program - deserts his post and sides with an insurgent group in some Eastern European country. He idolizes the former Commander and hates Tomax' methods. The defection, and the resulting attacks on Cobra interests thanks to the boy's intelligence leading the insurgents, has Tomax pile more resources into the area while trying to cast a diplomatic smokescreen over it.
    Allor issues?

No Red Ninjas or Buzz Boar. Traviss was leaning hard on the 'real ass' aesthetic, so everything was dusty and muted, and there was little to identify the series as an '80s toy franchise beyond character codenames.
    I was biased against Traviss for some of her LucasFilm work. (She wrote a clone-trooper novel that endorsed the idea of pedophile Jedi. And, everybody was kind of okay with it? It might have been an editorial mandate though.)

The advertorial prequel comic shows red ninjas and buzz boars. And, given how much Joe has struggled the last 10 years (including all of the time at IDW), I am expecting old context to be discarded.

Allor issues?

The advertorial prequel comic shows red ninjas and buzz boars. And, given how much Joe has struggled the last 10 years (including all of the time at IDW), I am expecting old context to be discarded.
    Referring to Paul Allor. He wrote the last...I wanna say 5 or so issues of the Joe series before Traviss' run, taking over after Fred Van Lente's 2 arcs. Allor's arc, 'Siren Song', introduced the titular Siren (essentially an unwilling PR operative for Cobra), her son, the Cobra Youth training program overseen by a new Big Boa (clearly different from the one neck-stabbed by Chuckles - this one's a woman), and provided insight into the history of Cobra, which is far, far older in the IDWverse than in ARAH. If you haven't read it, I give it a hearty recommendation.

Allor also wrote the more recent G.I. Joe Deviations one-shot, which is also great, albeit in a very different way.

Also, regarding the Buzz Boars and Red Ninjas in the advertorial: that panel isn't representative of the Traviss run. It's part of the 'Cobra Command' event, which did indeed include both Red Ninjas (deployed by Storm Shadow as fodder for Snake Eyes) and Buzz Boars (used by Tomax and assorted troops to assault a UN Peacekeeping force). It was actually quite a ways before the Traviss run.

I still think you're jumping to conclusions about them deleting continuity at will. Granted, there's a lot of the IDW stuff I wouldn't miss ('Deep Terror', anyone?) but thus far the 'omissions' seem less a matter of deleting history and more of giving newbies the digest version. And there was confirmation from Aubrey Sitterson a while back that we'll be getting an answer as to why Krake disappeared, amongst other things. They don't have to tell us stuff like that if they don't want to - and the fact they are tells me they're still okay with looking back as well as forwards.

Mighty Member

I will see if I can find the Allors run. (Was it compiled, or will this require a plunge in to the back-issue bins?)

I gave up on non-Costa Joe early on.

Dixon is a competent, but flat, writer. I gave him a few chances, but he never impressed me. That last strike was his contribution to "Cobra Civil War". It read like something that might have been acceptable 15 years earlier. But, "c and d-list characters show up and die to establish the threat" was tedious by the early 90s. And, Dixon went back to that 3 or 4 times in short succession.

By the time Allors came around, I would not have had room for Joe in my pull-file.

Allor also wrote the more recent G.I. Joe Deviations one-shot, which is also great, albeit in a very different way.
    That was good. It was not quite what "Deviations" was supposed to be. But, it was solid.

It's part of the 'Cobra Command' event, which did indeed include both Red Ninjas (deployed by Storm Shadow as fodder for Snake Eyes) and Buzz Boars (used by Tomax and assorted troops to assault a UN Peacekeeping force). It was actually quite a ways before the Traviss run.
    When Dixon fell completely in to "paint by numbers event". Ah, yes. (Initially, IDW was avoiding using obvious throw-backs to the 80s. Then, they back-tracked.)

('Deep Terror', anyone?)
    ?

And there was confirmation from Aubrey Sitterson a while back that we'll be getting an answer as to why Krake disappeared, amongst other things. They don't have to tell us stuff like that if they don't want to - and the fact they are tells me they're still okay with looking back as well as forwards.
    I like to think that Krake was murdered and his body defiled by Dreadnoks. Hopefully, my guess plays out.

I know that "All Hail Megatron" was changed, despite "Transformers" being the core franchise in this case.

I just hope that IDW pulls things together at the end in a way that makes it easy to know what counts and what does not. More importantly, I want viable comics after this wraps up. (I would also like to see Costa's wtuff continue.)
    Last edited by CentralPower; 10-03-2016 at 10:08 AM.

I will see if I can find the Allors run. (Was it compiled, or will this require a plunge in to the back-issue bins?)
    Compiled as a trade with the title Siren's Song. I would also recommend the 2 Fred Van Lente trades before it, Homefront and Threat Matrix.

Dixon is a competent, but flat, writer. I gave him a few chances, but he never impressed me. That last strike was his contribution to "Cobra Civil War". It read like something that might have been acceptable 15 years earlier. But, "c and d-list characters show up and die to establish the threat" was tedious by the early 90s. And, Dixon went back to that 3 or 4 times in short succession.
    That...would be about my feeling too. He did pretty well with the Snake Eyes series but his work on the main book was either forgettable or crap.

?
    A latter story from Dixon's run, where Dr. Mindbender was encouraging a massive excavation project in pursuit of...I think crystals with time-manipulating properties? It all amounted to nothing and was basically just Dixon marking time on the main book until he could begin the more interesting Target: Snake Eyes crossover.

Though actually, given the focus on spooky crystals in Revolution it'd be quite apt for this story to suddenly become relevant again...

I know that "All Hail Megatron" was changed, despite "Transformers" being the core franchise in this case.
    Was it? I didn't notice. (and All Hail Megatron was the last time I paid attention to TF comics)

Mighty Member

The advertorial-prequel for "Revolution" says that Optimus defeated Megatron at the end of "All Hail Megatron". (The original comics depicted Megatron being taken out by a xeno-tech armed Spike.)

That...would be about my feeling too. He did pretty well with the Snake Eyes series but his work on the main book was either forgettable or crap.
    "Snake Eyes: Agent of Cobra" was actually Costa.

"Snake Eyes: Agent of Cobra" was actually Costa.
    There was a series before that just called Snake Eyes (later Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow) that was written by Dixon. Its debut coincided with Cobra Civil War, followed Snakes and a select few chums through that event and into the follow-up, Cobra Command. During that, Snakes seemingly ditched the Joes to rejoin Storm Shadow and the Arishikage clan in order to take revenge on Cobra in general and Zartan in particular, but of course he was playing double agent and intended to destroy the clan from the inside. Unfortunately, his deception was too convincing and made Scarlett and the others figure he was AWOL for real, which resulted in the Target: Snake Eyes crossover between the main Joe book and the Snakes one. Snake Eyes faked his death through unknown means at the end of that and wasn't seen again until the Agent of Cobra mini.