Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Same here. But, the fact that Costa's secondary series was the best thing about Joe was arguably a problem. The various "Cobra" series were damned good. But, the franchise as a whole has been in trouble for years, and he was not turning that over-all trend around. Hasbro and IDW are likely thinking "keep the franchise alive" more than "keep a secondary book for a dying franchise going".

Costa has been picking up some work at Marvel.

(But, yes, I too miss him on Joe.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

I'm much less excited about Revolution than I was in the beginning...

Mighty Member

Yeah. As an event, it is pretty underwhelming. It is not quite "Zero Hour" levels of "paint by numbers". But, it is pretty far down. (And, if the Diamond list for this week is to be believed, the last few issues are being delayed.)

Still, this beats "Infestation" or "Deviations".
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle

Maybe I'll catch up reading this weekend...

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

Revolution ended up being a mess of bad writing and art, but the Reconstruction issues, sans Rom, have been pretty good thus far.

I isolate Rom, cause I have not enjoyed it one bit. It seems whenever Ryall writes any comic it's nearly unreadable.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Revolution wound up being that weird sort of story where there's a thousand moving parts yet the scope feels incredibly small; there's not a lot of moving around over the course of all 5 issues, and the final battle takes place in a building so cramped the Transformers practically have to hunch to move around in it. (funny considering it's their base...get a better architect, Prime) #5 was a worthy conclusion with some amazing splashes, and left mostly everyone with a good hook going forwards.

I do wonder whether or not this'll help draw fans of other Hasbro properties to Joe, though, given how they're presented as overreacting to situations they don't understand repeatedly over the course of the series. It's not a position that encourages sympathy from the audience.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    I do wonder whether or not this'll help draw fans of other Hasbro properties to Joe, though, given how they're presented as overreacting to situations they don't understand repeatedly over the course of the series. It's not a position that encourages sympathy from the audience.
    i wasn't gonna read Joe til I read the Revolution tie-in. I felt that the writer (I forget who it is right now) really managed to humanize the characters and make them insanely relatable in a short 22 pages and Giannis's art work was the perfect icing on the cake. The package was prefect and I hope they can deliver month in and out.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Quote Originally Posted by Scott M Davis View Post
    Revolution ended up being a mess of bad writing and art, but the Reconstruction issues, sans Rom, have been pretty good thus far.
    I was afraid of that. I haven't kept up with it...

Mighty Member

The art has varied, as a function of different creative teams. But, none of it has really stood out.

Revolution wound up being that weird sort of story where there's a thousand moving parts yet the scope feels incredibly small;
    Good way to put it.

Clearly, the main series took 5 issues. But, I am not quite sure why.

The quality of the comics will probably do more to determine sales than the likability of the characters.

The Joe tie-in was not bad. And, it clearly has editorial support.

The package was prefect and I hope they can deliver month in and out.
    It depends how patient IDW and Hasbro are. (One of the biggest problems that Joe had at DDP was a lack of consistent direction . Most of the changes were imposed from above.)

Yesterday I took the IDW Revolution stuff off of my "read" pile and put them in the box. :|

Mighty Member

I missed the last Transformers tie-in, and am not terribly upset. (I passed the main series and most of the tie-ins along to the guy at the local hobby shop.)

I will give "GI Joe" an issue or two before making a decision.

I think I'm gonna end up dropping all my IDW books due to so many X-Books coming out next year.

Amazing Member

Holy shit, so this IS a soft reboot of IDW's original GI Joe comics? They're how I got into GI Joe comicwise.

I thought they were dead forever honestly. Hopefully it's better then the last volume.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCollector View Post
    I thought they were dead forever honestly. Hopefully it's better then the last volume.
    Do you mean Karen Traviss' book?

Well, I'm back on the Hama train. After my disappointment with Revolution, and the direction Joe is going there, I have to get my fix elsewhere. ARAH it is.