Amazing Member

Default Jim Lee is the Greatest! (Appreciation, Perhaps?)

I have been a fan of Jim Lee since I picked up (Adjectiveless) X-Men #1 waaaaaay back in 93 or so and it sparked my love affair with comics.

Over the years, I have grown a discerning eye for comic books, and typically I pay attention to writing first - from Claremont to Bendis and Brubaker, I usually look at the writer. Johns, Jurgens and Morrison also top my favorites lists. But when it comes to art, Jim Lee is THE Man (Sorry, Stan).

He is the one artist that will make me pick up a book no matter who is writing it. I just finished Justice League #1 and have been rightfully reminded of why I absolutely love this guy's abilities!
    Last edited by mysterygeekboi; 04-30-2014 at 07:20 PM.

For a while I LOVED everything Jim Lee. He is still one of my favorite artists, but I've kind of waned on him just a tad. I've finding myself more and more entrenched in the Bronze Age artists.

Im in a similar boat. Adored his work when i first got into comics. But now im a little bored of his stuff. These days i prefer art a bit more unique or stylistic.

I love Lee's work. My only issue when Lee is on a series is how long it takes for him to produce issues. I think he should be given a ton of lead time and then only give him like 6 issues. I know the man has a ton of stuff on his plate but it can get a little old waiting like 2-3 months for books. I was shocked he was able to keep up with the deadlines when the New 52 started.

Overall though, he's probably in my Top 5 favorite artists of all time. I love his work.

Amazing Member

Regarding the person who wrote about Bronze Age artists - are you referring to artists of the 50s and 60s? When it comes to older art and artists I really like the more realistic stuff that came along in the 70s. Neal Adams giving us a better sense of jawlines and muscle tone, John Byrne's classic work on X-Men and FF, then on to Frank Miller and the Ennis/Dillon collaborations. But Lee stands out above all for me - he manages to straddle a perfect line between realistic and "comic-book-ish". You know you're reading a comic but you still get pulled into his world.